British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Passport Delays (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/passport-delays-607794/)

ian-mstm Sep 14th 2010 1:41 pm

Re: Passport Delays

Originally Posted by rrvv72 (Post 8845312)
I sent my passport for renewal to Washington from Toronto for me and a new pasport of the kids.

New passports always take longer... much longer - usually 10-12 weeks.

Ian

rrvv72 Sep 14th 2010 2:05 pm

Originally Posted by ian-mstm (Post 8847433)
New passports always take longer... much longer - usually 10-12 weeks.

Ian

I hope not Ian.

I fly to England and I have already purchsed my tickets. If they did not keep my Canadian passports then I would not mind how long it took.

NikosF Sep 15th 2010 3:30 pm

Well - it's not always bad.

First time adult passport application to Washington.
Arrived Washington : 8/23
Payment taken from Credit card : 8/26
UPS delivered new passport : 9/14

So - basically a shade over three weeks, and I guess proves that sometimes things go smoothly and first time applications need not take 10 weeks.

rrvv72 Sep 15th 2010 6:04 pm

Originally Posted by NikosF (Post 8850500)
Well - it's not always bad.

First time adult passport application to Washington.
Arrived Washington : 8/23
Payment taken from Credit card : 8/26
UPS delivered new passport : 9/14

So - basically a shade over three weeks, and I guess proves that sometimes things go smoothly and first time applications need not take 10 weeks.

I could not take it any more and called the Careline and paid 69 pence + vat per minute. They UPS it yseterday September 14, 2010. I wished they would have just emailed me the UPS number and I would have been satisfied. :o

Spikus Sep 16th 2010 4:16 am

Originally Posted by rrvv72 (Post 8845312)
I sent my passport for renewal to Washington from Toronto for me and a new pasport of the kids. I got charge on July 29, 2010. Today is September 13, 2010 6 weeks and 2 days. I am gettting worried I have no passport British or Canadian. I have travel arrangement to the USA September 20, 2010 and England October 2010 and I am worried I will not get it in on time.

Chase, chase, chase.... unfortunately you may have to make a pain of yourself to get a result. Although Careline is a waste of time and shameless money spinning rip-off, it is the only means to get a reply back (albeit email) from Washington. I was in a similar situation recently and suffered considerable personal and professional consequences before finally getting resolution.

jon_nyc Sep 17th 2010 3:26 pm

hi all,

Applying for a first UK passport for my US-born daughter (6 years old, didn't register her birth with the UK consulate or whatever) and noticed my credit card was charged yesterday. Can that be taken as any kind of positive news or do they automatically charged the card before proceeding? I understand it's a long process, but we aren't traveling any time soon so that's not a concern - just curious what to make of it.

rrvv72 Sep 17th 2010 3:50 pm

Originally Posted by jon_nyc (Post 8855627)
hi all,

Applying for a first UK passport for my US-born daughter (6 years old, didn't register her birth with the UK consulate or whatever) and noticed my credit card was charged yesterday. Can that be taken as any kind of positive news or do they automatically charged the card before proceeding? I understand it's a long process, but we aren't traveling any time soon so that's not a concern - just curious what to make of it.

I got charge on my Visa July 29, 2010 and recieved the passports September 15, 2010. So that was would be 6 1/2 weeks not 4- 6 weeks. I hope that helps.

jon_nyc Sep 17th 2010 3:54 pm

Originally Posted by rrvv72 (Post 8855709)
I got charge on my Visa July 29, 2010 and recieved the passports September 15, 2010. So that was would be 6 1/2 weeks not 4- 6 weeks. I hope that helps.

Thanks, though since it's a first passport I'm anticipating 3 months or so as more likely?

sykes Mar 24th 2011 12:44 pm

Hi all,

Here is the situation:

-UK National over 16 (actually an OAP), resident in Barbados, in need of a renewal
-passport expires end of Aug 2011
-visiting friends in the US for July, not too far from DC
-due to travel cannot mail in passport because of turnaround times
-will be in the UK for a few weeks in Aug, but would prefer not to have to goto passport office.

My questions:
-DC turnaround time seems to be 2-6 weeks if done via mail, is it quicker to goto the DC office? And if so, what is the expected turnaround time?

lisa67 Mar 24th 2011 1:10 pm

Originally Posted by sykes (Post 9261824)
Hi all,

Here is the situation:

-UK National over 16 (actually an OAP), resident in Barbados, in need of a renewal
-passport expires end of Aug 2011
-visiting friends in the US for July, not too far from DC
-due to travel cannot mail in passport because of turnaround times
-will be in the UK for a few weeks in Aug, but would prefer not to have to goto passport office.

My questions:
-DC turnaround time seems to be 2-6 weeks if done via mail, is it quicker to goto the DC office? And if so, what is the expected turnaround time?

I'm not sure you can.... but then I could be wrong, does it say you can apply in person on the web site?

sykes Mar 24th 2011 1:15 pm

Originally Posted by lisa67 (Post 9261872)
I'm not sure you can.... but then I could be wrong, does it say you can apply in person on the web site?

It did not say, I just assumed you could.

Bob Mar 25th 2011 3:07 am

Originally Posted by lisa67 (Post 9261872)

You used to be able to, but you can't these days. I think everything's supposed to get processed in the UK from April as well, or there abouts.

sykes Mar 25th 2011 11:01 am

Originally Posted by Bob (Post 9263485)
You used to be able to, but you can't these days. I think everything's supposed to get processed in the UK from April as well, or there abouts.

thanks, sounds like doing it while in the UK is the best/only option.

rosie5 Mar 25th 2011 4:34 pm

Originally Posted by British Consul (Post 8755775)
Emergency Passports are not accepted by UAE.

Dean

I sent off 3 passports to be renewed, they were received in washington over 3 weeks ago. Money has not been taken from credit card, and now a new card has been sent and the other cancelled. I have called care-line 3 times and have had no help at all, infact they said they could not assist me until the money was taken out, even though this is unlikely to happen and the reason for my call. They did say that the passport office would call me if they could not take out the money for the new card number (which is the same as the old one, except expi.date is different)

Care- services asked me to call back tice, which I did and was told they could not help me unless the money was taken from my account!
I have emailed several complaints regarding the care line services.

I am desperate to get back my passports as we have a family vacation booked at the end of May and now 3 members of my family are without passports.

It's been over 3 weeks, these are not new passoprts just want to renew!!! Tried calling the consulate in Chicago, no joy there, they won't deal with passports.

Any ideas???

steevun Mar 25th 2011 8:34 pm

Originally Posted by rosie5 (Post 9264289)
I sent off 3 passports to be renewed, they were received in washington over 3 weeks ago. Money has not been taken from credit card, and now a new card has been sent and the other cancelled. I have called care-line 3 times and have had no help at all, infact they said they could not assist me until the money was taken out, even though this is unlikely to happen and the reason for my call. They did say that the passport office would call me if they could not take out the money for the new card number (which is the same as the old one, except expi.date is different)

Care- services asked me to call back tice, which I did and was told they could not help me unless the money was taken from my account!
I have emailed several complaints regarding the care line services.

I am desperate to get back my passports as we have a family vacation booked at the end of May and now 3 members of my family are without passports.

It's been over 3 weeks, these are not new passoprts just want to renew!!! Tried calling the consulate in Chicago, no joy there, they won't deal with passports.

Any ideas???

rosie5,

Just stabbing in the dark here, but you might want to consider printing another credit card form and sending it into the passport center in DC, along with a cover letter stating your situation..

Anyone else think this is a good idea?..