Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Obamacare...

Wikiposts

Obamacare...

Old Nov 15th 2014, 1:22 pm
Forum Regular

OnwardandUpward has a reputation beyond reputeOnwardandUpward has a reputation beyond reputeOnwardandUpward has a reputation beyond reputeOnwardandUpward has a reputation beyond reputeOnwardandUpward has a reputation beyond reputeOnwardandUpward has a reputation beyond reputeOnwardandUpward has a reputation beyond reputeOnwardandUpward has a reputation beyond reputeOnwardandUpward has a reputation beyond reputeOnwardandUpward has a reputation beyond reputeOnwardandUpward has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Obamacare...

I would much prefer to be able to buy a policy which covers me for emergency/catastrophic care only and fund the day-to-day stuff myself, I think one of the weaknesses with for-profit medicine is too many diagnoses, too many procedures.

My first experience with US healthcare was when my small son broke his arm badly in England, they gave him surgery there to stabilize it and we followed up here, where insurance did not cover us as the injury happened overseas. Then Sept 11 happened, all the planes were grounded and we saw the surgeon recommended to us and asked how urgent is this, we have to go back to the UK and not sure when we can. He said the arm would fix itself over time- basically the surgery recommended was merely cosmetic because such a bad break leaves a kink in the bone for a year or two. I felt pretty sick that if the coverage had been there I would unnecessarily have subjected a small kid to yet another general anaesthesia, unnecessary, not to mention the operation cost
= $10 000. Sure enough two years later- couldn't even tell which arm had been broken.

I thought Obama was planning to cut all this and to rein in costs, but I don't see anything that will do that in ACA.

I can see my doctor ( GP ) for $60 and get her to prescribe generics for what I need ( BP ) for another $10 or $20 a month, so I would rather self-pay than have a huge premium for a $25 doctor visit two or three times a year.

Though my GP has tried to get me to go back monthly to get my prescription, another thing with for-profit...I take my blood pressure twice a day, it's perfectly managed, but the practice needs to make money so they want me to report in more often than necessary. I just said no to that, and to the 101 tests which are suggested.
Old Nov 15th 2014, 1:30 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
That's essentially it, in nut shell.

We realised that with our more traditional policies, with lower deductibles, that we still weren't reaching the threshold where the insurance kicked in, so we getting no value from the extra premiums we were paying over and above the premiums for HD policies. In other words, if our medical expenses are only a few hundred dollars, it makes no difference if the deductible is $2,000 or $9,000, but by choosing a HD policy we had the same OoP cost, but only about 20% of the premium cost. And the "OoP" payments actually come from our HSA.
+1

Unless someone has serious health issues, it is seldom worth it for someone to get anything but a HD plan.
Old Nov 15th 2014, 3:51 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Michael
+1

Unless someone has serious health issues, it is seldom worth it for someone to get anything but a HD plan.
ACA Bronze plans are defined by the IRS as being HD plans that you can associate an HSA with.
Old Nov 15th 2014, 8:29 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by a18ion
Yes, well, neverminding that the actuarial figures behind it may be bunk, the idea of Medicare is more like the NHS, but for OAPs only. Heath care paid from universal taxation. So you have to wonder how Americans miss the connection to a fully universal system...

The con, of course, is that your FICA contributions will pay for your health care in old age. Rubbish. This is no different than the con involved in every country's pay-as-you-go pension scheme, including the UK. It's bollocks.

There's nothing wrong with promising people health care or pensions from general taxation. But the idea their own NIC or FICA contributions are being set aside for them is fantastic (in the old sense of the word). The sooner there's more honesty by politicians, the better discussions we might have.
Like the NHS in some ways, but remember that Medicare recipients pay monthly premiums, potentially high out of pocket fees and/or significant premiums for a Medicare supplement plan. So Medicare is only partially funded by FICA and taxes.
Old Nov 15th 2014, 8:54 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
People have the right to healthcare, but I actually don't think it should be free at the point of delivery. People should have to pay and then reclaim the cost, thus gaining at least some idea of its value.

We also have the problem that anything that is wrong is the fault of the whole NHS system, whereas in the US it is seen as a problem with one doctor or hospital.

They set fire to a patient at one hospital where my husband worked for Christ's sake, amongst myriad other blunders. That's leaving aside the fact that many people couldn't even get near the place until ACA, and the fancy hospitals still try to keep lower-income people out.

What about those who can't afford to pay upfront and then recoup the cost? I would never be able to seek medical care if I had to pay upfront for it.
Old Nov 15th 2014, 9:23 pm
Banned

amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute

water seeks level.

NHS: best social healthcare system in the world, but has been living beyond its means for decades (arguably, another of Labour's foolish generosity). It's inevitable that eventually it will have to implement things like co-pay prescriptions & GP visits, etc (like everywhere else on the planet), not only to help pay for its very existence, but also to minimise costly abuse of it by those who head straight to A&E or GP visit because they have a sniffle - because it's "free" <not>.

US: Traditionally, health insurance left up to employers. Health insurance not compulsory, and that's just what people are used to. Over decades has evolved into a pure money-making machine, inevitably resulting in a large portion of the population not only without it, but ineligible for it, yet insurers walking away with massive profits, whilst hospitals and clinics left paying the bill for treatment of those who can't afford insurance. This too will also necessarily evolve for the better, as this first step becomes the accepted norm in a couple of decades. Takes some getting used to.
Old Nov 15th 2014, 9:31 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
What about those who can't afford to pay upfront and then recoup the cost? I would never be able to seek medical care if I had to pay upfront for it.
Yeah I know, wouldn't want a punitive system, maybe just at least see the bill or something along those lines.
Old Nov 15th 2014, 9:58 pm
Joined on April fools day

Beaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by amideislas
water seeks level.

NHS: best social healthcare system in the world, but has been living beyond its means for decades (arguably, another of Labour's foolish generosity). It's inevitable that eventually it will have to implement things like co-pay prescriptions & GP visits, etc (like everywhere else on the planet), not only to help pay for its very existence, but also to minimise costly abuse of it by those who head straight to A&E or GP visit because they have a sniffle - because it's "free" <not>.

US: Traditionally, health insurance left up to employers. Health insurance not compulsory, and that's just what people are used to. Over decades has evolved into a pure money-making machine, inevitably resulting in a large portion of the population not only without it, but ineligible for it, yet insurers walking away with massive profits, whilst hospitals and clinics left paying the bill for treatment of those who can't afford insurance. This too will also necessarily evolve for the better, as this first step becomes the accepted norm in a couple of decades. Takes some getting used to.
As far as your first paragraph, while not a Brit, a minor co-pay, say $30 can help with overhead and deter some frivolous visits.
Second paragraph..while I do not have excellent health insurance it has covered my needs so far. I recently had retinal eye surgery which had a list cost of $970 USD, I had a co-pay of $30...period.
The US system is 'convoluted' at best. Before Obama care AKA known as ACA the % of US population not under some form of public/private insurance was around 15%, 85% were mostly covered. Of the 15% with no coverage the majority had no major health expenditures from year to year. SOME did and couldn't pay which lead to bankruptcies which under the US system is not as catastrophic as it sounds. Not meaning to sound cold but most (not all) who went bankrupt from medical expenses were not particulary solvent to begin with.
Old Nov 16th 2014, 12:55 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
ACA Bronze plans are defined by the IRS as being HD plans that you can associate an HSA with.
They are, it is true, but even though I am strongly pro-HD insurance, I am not aware of any effort to encourage people to take such insurance. If the subject of health insurance is raised at work I will explain why we have HD insurance to my colleagues but I am not actively seeking to push it. I know of two who colleagues, independent of each other (they don't work together and as far as I know don't know each other), have come to the same conclusion, that HD is the way to go. Interestingly that is despite them having 3&4 children, which makes the fiances more marginal.
Old Nov 16th 2014, 2:41 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

They are, it is true, but even though I am strongly pro-HD insurance, I am not aware of any effort to encourage people to take such insurance. If the subject of health insurance is raised at work I will explain why we have HD insurance to my colleagues but I am not actively seeking to push it. I know of two who colleagues, independent of each other (they don't work together and as far as I know don't know each other), have come to the same conclusion, that HD is the way to go. Interestingly that is despite them having 3&4 children, which makes the fiances more marginal.
I think a lot of people will end up considering silver level plans particularly if they tried gold or platinum last yr. For the ones offered in AZ it seems if you want to just pay a copay for a simple Dr visit rather than hit up your deductible, that only starts with silver. Some of these are described as point of service (pos) plans and described as a hybrid of ppo and Hmo.
Old Nov 16th 2014, 3:03 am
nun
BE Forum Addict

nun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sir_eccles
I think a lot of people will end up considering silver level plans particularly if they tried gold or platinum last yr. For the ones offered in AZ it seems if you want to just pay a copay for a simple Dr visit rather than hit up your deductible, that only starts with silver. Some of these are described as point of service (pos) plans and described as a hybrid of ppo and Hmo.
I can see young people going with a Bronze plan......but the older you get the more you start to think you might actually need healthcare so the lower co-pays and maybe even less expensive out of network options start to be a consideration.
Old Nov 16th 2014, 3:03 am
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

....despite them having 3&4 children, which makes the fiances more marginal.
Would it have been better if they'd been married?
Old Nov 16th 2014, 3:12 am
nun
BE Forum Addict

nun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond repute

I've just been on the website looking at plans and it looks as if I can qualify for state assistance because my income will be so low next year. Frankly it's pretty bogus because my income won't be a reflection of my net worth. So I could actually get a plan with zero deductible and a $750 out of pocket max for $78/month
Old Nov 16th 2014, 3:15 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Michael
+1

Unless they don't have the savings set aside to be able to afford those premiums, whilst being able to afford the monthly rate of a policy with a lower deductible.

It can be a bit of a chicken and the egg situation for people.
Old Nov 16th 2014, 3:17 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by amideislas
... It's inevitable that eventually it will have to implement things like co-pay prescriptions
It already is, unless you're in Wales, possibly Scotland? A student, pregnant or a kid and a few other exceptions such as long term care.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.