Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Obamacare...

Wikiposts

Obamacare...

Old Nov 15th 2014, 10:27 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Obamacare...

Originally Posted by a18ion
The problem that might sink Obamacare is probably less a Republican administration, but the failure of the individual mandate. I mean, in the end, the money collected in insurance premiums has to exceed the health care paid out. And for that to work, lots of healthy people have to pay premiums but not use any services.

I did a little reckoning of my own experience in the last 3 years, but wearing the insurance company's glasses. The insurance company collected $25,800 in premiums from us over 36 months. They paid out $38,600 on our behalf (that is, that's what they actually paid, not the "list price" for these services, which was $80,000!).

So the insurance company is in the hole to the tune of $12,800 by insuring us. Someone else has to pay for that, or the company eventually goes broke. Other people who sign up but don't get sick. Young people!

In the pre-Obamacare world, unsurprisingly, the insurance company would have cancelled our insurance by now. But they have no choice now. And it only works if healthy people sign up.

So if the Republican party, or simply widespread non-compliance by young folks, ends up killing the individual mandate, either premiums will skyrocket, or the system falls of its own weight.
It is fundamentally flawed, that's for sure.
Old Nov 15th 2014, 11:31 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Lack of cost control plus cross generational subsidy will not help.
Old Nov 15th 2014, 11:44 am
nun
BE Forum Addict

nun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
Lack of cost control plus cross generational subsidy will not help.
Yeah, let's get rid of Medicare too...that's subsidized by all those young working people.
Old Nov 15th 2014, 11:56 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nun
Yeah, let's get rid of Medicare too...that's subsidized by all those young working people.
It would be easier just to get rid of the old people.
Old Nov 15th 2014, 11:56 am
Forum Regular

OnwardandUpward has a reputation beyond reputeOnwardandUpward has a reputation beyond reputeOnwardandUpward has a reputation beyond reputeOnwardandUpward has a reputation beyond reputeOnwardandUpward has a reputation beyond reputeOnwardandUpward has a reputation beyond reputeOnwardandUpward has a reputation beyond reputeOnwardandUpward has a reputation beyond reputeOnwardandUpward has a reputation beyond reputeOnwardandUpward has a reputation beyond reputeOnwardandUpward has a reputation beyond repute

It's hard to predict what will happen, it's all a bit messed-up. I'm just taking it one year at a time, this year if I earn $25 000 it's @ $200-$538 a month premiums plus $1500-$2000 out-of-pocket, then I'm still reading the small print on what other charges, that's a Platinum policy in Texas. That's as cheap as I can get it from what I can see- and way cheaper than the other policies advertised as bronze and gold.
The website says you don't know the final charge until you apply, so hopefully it's fairly accurate.
I don't want to spend too long earning $25 000 a year though, it's not enough to save for retirement.
I feel like I don't quite know what I'm doing any more!
Old Nov 15th 2014, 12:10 pm
nun
BE Forum Addict

nun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
It would be easier just to get rid of the old people.
At least Obamacare has death panels, that should help to keep costs down.
Old Nov 15th 2014, 12:13 pm
nun
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by OnwardandUpward
It's hard to predict what will happen, it's all a bit messed-up. I'm just taking it one year at a time, this year if I earn $25 000 it's @ $200-$538 a month premiums plus $1500-$2000 out-of-pocket, then I'm still reading the small print on what other charges, that's a Platinum policy in Texas. That's as cheap as I can get it from what I can see- and way cheaper than the other policies advertised as bronze and gold.
The website says you don't know the final charge until you apply, so hopefully it's fairly accurate.
I don't want to spend too long earning $25 000 a year though, it's not enough to save for retirement.
Try this site to estimate your cost and subsidy

Texas Health Insurance Exchange | Healthcare.gov
Old Nov 15th 2014, 12:20 pm
Forum Regular

a18ion has a reputation beyond reputea18ion has a reputation beyond reputea18ion has a reputation beyond reputea18ion has a reputation beyond reputea18ion has a reputation beyond reputea18ion has a reputation beyond reputea18ion has a reputation beyond reputea18ion has a reputation beyond reputea18ion has a reputation beyond reputea18ion has a reputation beyond reputea18ion has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nun
Yes, well, neverminding that the actuarial figures behind it may be bunk, the idea of Medicare is more like the NHS, but for OAPs only. Heath care paid from universal taxation. So you have to wonder how Americans miss the connection to a fully universal system...

The con, of course, is that your FICA contributions will pay for your health care in old age. Rubbish. This is no different than the con involved in every country's pay-as-you-go pension scheme, including the UK. It's bollocks.

There's nothing wrong with promising people health care or pensions from general taxation. But the idea their own NIC or FICA contributions are being set aside for them is fantastic (in the old sense of the word). The sooner there's more honesty by politicians, the better discussions we might have.
Old Nov 15th 2014, 12:22 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by OnwardandUpward
Please provide a little more information since without it, no one understands what you are talking about. Are you single, married, have children? What are the ages? What is your zip code?

Why do you need the most expensive plan? Do you have major health conditions? Are the prices you are quoting after the federal subsidy?
Old Nov 15th 2014, 12:33 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

.... either premiums will skyrocket, or the system falls of its own weight.
As premiums rise, more and more people will realise that they are better off, or no worse off, with a high deductible plan, and will largely take themselves out of the insurance system by paying their own medical expenses from their HSA, and rarely having reason to claim on their insurance. ..... I haven't had a claim due to illness or injury to make since I went over a HD policy five years ago. (preventative treatments and check-ups are covered, and small charges are processed, but are settled entirely out of my HSA).
Originally Posted by nun
At least Obamacare has death panels, .....
Ah ha! As we suspected all along!

Last edited by Pulaski; Nov 15th 2014 at 12:55 pm.
Old Nov 15th 2014, 12:36 pm
Forum Regular

OnwardandUpward has a reputation beyond reputeOnwardandUpward has a reputation beyond reputeOnwardandUpward has a reputation beyond reputeOnwardandUpward has a reputation beyond reputeOnwardandUpward has a reputation beyond reputeOnwardandUpward has a reputation beyond reputeOnwardandUpward has a reputation beyond reputeOnwardandUpward has a reputation beyond reputeOnwardandUpward has a reputation beyond reputeOnwardandUpward has a reputation beyond reputeOnwardandUpward has a reputation beyond repute

The website itself, which someone just posted a link to, is quite hard to follow I think, keeps taking you off to the insurance company websites to read all the small print/ providers etc.

This icoverage s just for me, no-smoker, based on $25 000 income pre-tax for 2015 in Texas- you don't need to know my zip code! This is the best value plan from what I can see- a bronze plan has $5000-$6500 out-of-pocket.

I will definitely be using the coverage extensively in 2015 as yes, I now have health problems.

"manners maketh man"
Old Nov 15th 2014, 12:44 pm
nun
BE Forum Addict

I think the most complex and worrying aspect of Obamacare is the subsidy and trying to estimate your Modified Adjusted Gross Income.

For me I'm a 53 year old male living in MA. I retired earlier this year just as the Obamacare websites crashed......I decided to buy insurance from my ex-employer.

This year my MAGI would have been too high to get the subsidy and the cheapest Silver plan with a $2k deductible would have cost me $400/month....the same as my ex-employer's plan that has a $250 deductible and far lower co-pays.

In 2015 my income will be far less and I might get a $300/month subsidy, but I'm going to stay with my ex-employer's plan because in 2016 I'll be 55 and qualify for a lower premium of $100/month.....so I'm going to pay the higher premium up to then to maintain continuity and the high level of coverage. I figure it's worth the few thousand dollars difference to avoid uncertainty.
Old Nov 15th 2014, 12:49 pm
Forum Regular

It's hard to know what to do but your rationale sounds reasonable.

I bought COBRA for three years after my divorce, which was $400 or so a month plus $1500 out-of-pocket, this was 2008, and people were saying then how terribly expensive that was, no inkling of the higher costs to come which are the norm now; it was worth it to me for the reassurance while I started over, like you say- avoid uncertainty.
Old Nov 15th 2014, 12:55 pm
Forum Regular

a18ion has a reputation beyond reputea18ion has a reputation beyond reputea18ion has a reputation beyond reputea18ion has a reputation beyond reputea18ion has a reputation beyond reputea18ion has a reputation beyond reputea18ion has a reputation beyond reputea18ion has a reputation beyond reputea18ion has a reputation beyond reputea18ion has a reputation beyond reputea18ion has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
As premiums rise, more and more people will realise that they are better off, or no worse off, with a high deductible plan, and will largely take themselves out of the insurance system by paying their own medical expenses from their HSA, and rarely having reason to claim on their insurance. ..... I haven't had a claim to make since I went over a HD policy five years ago. (preventative treatments and check-ups are covered, and small charges are processed, but are settled entirely out of my HSA).
Our policies were also HSA high deductible policies. We hadn't expected to make claims, but that's not how it turned out... Actually, if you do the maths, it's never more advantageous to by anything above Bronze (if you're not getting a subsidy).

We view our policy much as you describe, except that paying the premiums is kind of like membership dues to a "buying club" where I get the "contracted rate my club has negotiated" for the heath care I expect to pay for out of my own pocket.

In figures, while we paid $25,800 in premiums, the list price for the services we received was $80,000, but the contracted rate was $56,800, so our premiums and the "member discount" were very close. So, making it a wash, which is okay, because I still have insurance in the bargain, in case things don't go well.

In our case, they didn't go well and the insurance "value" of the club membership was quite good. Of the contracted costs of $56,800, we paid $18,200 in deductibles, and the insurance "club" paid $38,600.

So these High Deductible policies are closer to catastrophic coverage. For the most part your premiums give you access to cheaper "contracted" care prices, but all your care is paid for yourself in years when you don't have any major illness. But in years when you have big bills, there's a payback.

Anyway, that's how I try and wrap my brain around it...
Old Nov 15th 2014, 1:04 pm

..... So these High Deductible policies are closer to catastrophic coverage. For the most part your premiums give you access to cheaper "contracted" care prices, but all your care is paid for yourself in years when you don't have any major illness. But in years when you have big bills, there's a payback.

Anyway, that's how I try and wrap my brain around it...
That's essentially it, in nut shell.

We realised that with our more traditional policies, with lower deductibles, that we still weren't reaching the threshold where the insurance kicked in, so we getting no value from the extra premiums we were paying over and above the premiums for HD policies. In other words, if our medical expenses are only a few hundred dollars, it makes no difference if the deductible is $2,000 or $9,000, but by choosing a HD policy we had the same OoP cost, but only about 20% of the premium cost. And the "OoP" payments actually come from our HSA.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.