Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Nanny State - US v UK

Nanny State - US v UK

Old Jun 1st 2007, 3:24 am
Account Closed

Sally is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Nanny State - US v UK

I think we can all agree it is very difficult to satisfy all demands in healthcare - Bevan could not have foreseen the advances in, say, premature baby survival rates, organ transplants, heart by-passes and so on which are now almost routine.
Old Jun 1st 2007, 3:24 am
Thinking about it

BigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Elvira

Steady on!!!

x
Old Jun 1st 2007, 3:26 am
Thinking about it

BigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally
I think we can all agree it is very difficult to satisfy all demands in healthcare - Bevan could not have foreseen the advances in, say, premature baby survival rates, organ transplants, heart by-passes and so on which are now almost routine.
Agreed, but its still being managed really badly too - in fact its amazing that it hasn't crashed yet given all the problems.
Old Jun 1st 2007, 3:29 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by BigDavyG
Agreed, but its still being managed really badly too - in fact its amazing that it hasn't crashed yet given all the problems.
Personally I would like to see it toughened up a lot more.
Old Jun 1st 2007, 3:32 am
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

What do you bean by 'toughened up'?
Old Jun 1st 2007, 3:33 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

whips, chains and general leather....oh err...kinky mare
Old Jun 1st 2007, 3:34 am
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
whips, chains and general leather....oh err...kinky mare
I like the way you think...
Old Jun 1st 2007, 3:44 am
Account Closed

I bean measures to stop people calling ambulances to get home etc, (one of my husband's colleagues in England went to A&E on Boxing Day complaining of feeling too full up), crack down on missed appointments and introduce some form of co-pay, however small, so people don't see it as a magic well.
Old Jun 1st 2007, 3:44 am
Thinking about it

I find it odd that the average GP earnings are so high - that's money leaving the system that doesn't need to for a start and consultants get 6 figure salaries for 20 hour weeks - running their own private operation the rest of the time.
All this before we even get to the management crap.
Personally I don't know how any nurses can stick it on the money they get.
Old Jun 1st 2007, 3:46 am
Thinking about it

introduce some form of co-pay, however small
I like that idea - would make sure appointments were kept for a start.
Anyone who calls an ambulance because they personally have had too much to drink should also be charged.
Old Jun 1st 2007, 3:48 am
Homebody

I bean measures to stop people calling ambulances to get home etc, (one of my husband's colleagues in England went to A&E on Boxing Day complaining of feeling too full up), crack down on missed appointments and introduce some form of co-pay, however small, so people don't see it as a magic well.
I think the government looked into that, and I agree that abuse of the system is ripe. But the problem is that it would affect people unequally, and those on benefits/dole/incapacity probably would be excempt anyway. Also, I'm not sure that the administrative costs might not be prohibitive - the NHS is just not set up for dealing with payments from the people who use it. And who would decide whether an ambulance/home visit was requested unnecessarily? Though I guess missed appointments would be eaiser to deal with - maybe this would be agood starting point for reform.

If someone could come up with some brilliant plan I'd be all ears...

Last edited by Elvira; Jun 1st 2007 at 3:50 am.
Old Jun 1st 2007, 3:49 am
Account Closed

I find it odd that the average GP earnings are so high - that's money leaving the system that doesn't need to for a start and consultants get 6 figure salaries for 20 hour weeks - running their own private operation the rest of the time.
All this before we even get to the management crap.
I went to an extremely boring dinner party once where a number of doctors were complaining their heads off about how tough their lives were - one has a home in France which he went to for a long weekend every fortnight, so we said, "why don't you move to France?" Oh no, that's no good, the doctors only get paid half of their British equivalents. (This guy also only did 2 clinics a week, spending the rest of the time on "research".
Old Jun 1st 2007, 3:49 am
Account Closed

Rushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really nice

They don't...they are all over here living the life of Reilly. The ones left over there "sticking it" are Filipina's living the life of Reilly,
Old Jun 1st 2007, 3:50 am
Account Closed

I think the government looked into that, and I agree that abuse of the system is ripe. But the problem is that it would affect people unequally, and those on benefits/dole/incapacity probably would be excempt anyway. Also, I'm not sure that the administrative costs might not be prohibitive - the NHS is just not set up for dealing with payments from the people who use it.

If someone could come up with some brilliant plan I'd be all ears...
Indeed...
Old Jun 1st 2007, 3:52 am
Homebody

I went to an extremely boring dinner party once where a number of doctors were complaining their heads off about how tough their lives were - one has a home in France which he went to for a long weekend every fortnight, so we said, "why don't you move to France?" Oh no, that's no good, the doctors only get paid half of their British equivalents. (This guy also only did 2 clinics a week, spending the rest of the time on "research".
You should hear American docs bleating on about "inadequate remuneration"...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.