Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Nanny State - US v UK

Nanny State - US v UK

Old May 28th 2007, 9:48 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Nanny State - US v UK

Originally Posted by Thydney
If it can happen it will...remember Chris Reeves? It was said at one time he was bankrupt from the medical bill...that's when the celebs. started fund raisers for him. Unfortunately you and I wouldn't have that advantage.
Old May 28th 2007, 10:14 pm
Tool

Old William has a reputation beyond reputeOld William has a reputation beyond reputeOld William has a reputation beyond reputeOld William has a reputation beyond reputeOld William has a reputation beyond reputeOld William has a reputation beyond reputeOld William has a reputation beyond reputeOld William has a reputation beyond reputeOld William has a reputation beyond reputeOld William has a reputation beyond reputeOld William has a reputation beyond repute

When we lived in FL and I was working as an EMT almost every day I would see people who were one minute top of their game, good job good insurance big house etc, and the next on their arses because of a car wreck, a stroke (youngest I saw was 37), heart attack (youngest I saw was in his 40's), or other unforseen and hyperthertical accident....happened all the time. Sadly for the majority of these people it meant losing pretty much everything.

Or take our friends in Boca....good insurance with a top company...6 year old daughter gets diagnosed with Asthma...That'll be $600 per month co-pay for her meds please, every month for the forseeable future, ontop of the premium of several hundred $$$ a month.

Oh and just because you have A1 top notch all singing all dancing health insurance doesnt mean diddly squat...on more than one occaision I know of people would send in all the moutain of claims paperwork only to get a letter back from the insurance co thanking them very much and cancelling their insurance with return of premiums and the bill for them to pay themselves to the tune of 1000' of $$$...there goes the family house.

And then try getting insurance when you've now not only got a pre-existing serious condition but also had insurance cancelled.

The US has some great things going for it but I'm afraid that until it loses this couldnt give a shit attitude to the poor schmuck who hits some bad luck It's always going to be second rate in my opinion.
Old May 28th 2007, 10:19 pm
who turned out the light?

Irn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by krizzy
Bob you really need to go out get some of that sunshine..
You're going to have me in the psycho ward with all this extra worry your putting out there today......

I feel like shooting myself but I'm to scared now I'd end up with just a limp and a huge hospital bill....
Don't worry you can't change much by doing that.

Once you look into it and try and get as much insurance as you can..we have long term disability insurance as well as everything else.
(We have so much insurance we aren't putting hardly anything into our 401k..I'm more worried about that..but am trying not to it will get sorted once we get settled after buying a home )

I try and put it behind me.. sort of plan for tomorrow and live for today motto. I worry enough about daily things in life!!
If the worst happens it happens.. we are living here and I can't change anything, can only hope it doesn't happen and live for today while not worrying about tomorrow (am trying hard to do that )
Old May 28th 2007, 10:24 pm
Account Closed

TouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really nice

Originally Posted by Irn-bru

Once you look into it and try and get as much insurance as you can..we have long term disability insurance as well as everything else.
(We have so much insurance we aren't putting hardly anything into our 401k..I'm more worried about that..but am trying not to it will get sorted once we get settled after buying a home )

I try and put it behind me.. sort of plan for tomorrow and live for today motto. I worry enough about daily things in life!!
If the worst happens it happens.. we are living here and I can't change anything, can only hope it doesn't happen and live for today while not worrying about tomorrow (am trying hard to do that )
You been at the communion beverage again there dear?
Old May 28th 2007, 10:30 pm

Irn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TouristTrap
You been at the communion beverage again there dear?
more waffley than usual?

such a contentious issue health care is here, thought I'd cover all my basis than just saying "plan for tomorrow and live for today ..so don't worry about it"
Old May 28th 2007, 10:39 pm
Account Closed

TouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really nice

It is isn't it? Life is stressful enough without having to worry about something like this which is constantly on the back of most people's minds over here.
Old May 28th 2007, 10:56 pm
Not dead yet

Thydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TouristTrap
which is constantly on the back of most people's minds over here.
You worry about sex as well?
Old May 28th 2007, 11:24 pm
Re vera, potas bene.

krizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond repute

We nearly lost our home in England because hubby was sick for 9 months...so it can happen anywhere... we nearly lost it again when he had notice his job was going...we've lived with losing everything for so long...its becoming normal.....

I love buying houses...looking at one in Pidgins forge next..Ins you can injoy....
Old May 28th 2007, 11:44 pm
Banned

leonatlanta has a reputation beyond reputeleonatlanta has a reputation beyond reputeleonatlanta has a reputation beyond reputeleonatlanta has a reputation beyond reputeleonatlanta has a reputation beyond reputeleonatlanta has a reputation beyond reputeleonatlanta has a reputation beyond reputeleonatlanta has a reputation beyond reputeleonatlanta has a reputation beyond reputeleonatlanta has a reputation beyond reputeleonatlanta has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
life insurance isn't much good to you if you get cancer, and you'll quite easily go broke getting treatment without good medical insurance cover.
thanks for the cheery info! but i have great medical insurance. thats unless atlanta is wiped out in a nuclear explosion or a comet strikes my house and all my face is melted off. or a rabid dog could eat my arms and legs or i could get cancer and my wife would spend millions of dollars 'cos when someone gets cancer here, including some of my wifes cousins they all had to sell their homes, sell off their kids and pimp out their hubbys even though their medical insurance covered almost all medical bills.
Old May 29th 2007, 12:35 am

Originally Posted by krizzy
We nearly lost our home in England because hubby was sick for 9 months...so it can happen anywhere... we nearly lost it again when he had notice his job was going...we've lived with losing everything for so long...its becoming normal.....

I love buying houses...looking at one in Pidgins forge next..Ins you can injoy....
Sorry to hear that... glad it seems OK for both of you

Know what you went through..it does change your perspective on life!

When we went back to Britain for 2 years, after OH laid off after 9/11.. company didn't pay full stamp so OH didn't get any job seekers allowance etc.
Luckily we sold our home just before and the little money we made on it we had to live off and pay the rent so after being through that I am just grateful for having a roof over our head and a meal on the table, every night.
Old May 29th 2007, 12:41 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by leonatlanta
thanks for the cheery info! but i have great medical insurance. thats unless atlanta is wiped out in a nuclear explosion or a comet strikes my house and all my face is melted off. or a rabid dog could eat my arms and legs or i could get cancer and my wife would spend millions of dollars 'cos when someone gets cancer here, including some of my wifes cousins they all had to sell their homes, sell off their kids and pimp out their hubbys even though their medical insurance covered almost all medical bills.

Shame on you for such a flippant reply.
Old May 29th 2007, 1:33 am
Re vera, potas bene.

krizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry to hear that... glad it seems OK for both of you

Know what you went through..it does change your perspective on life!

When we went back to Britain for 2 years, after OH laid off after 9/11.. company didn't pay full stamp so OH didn't get any job seekers allowance etc.
Luckily we sold our home just before and the little money we made on it we had to live off and pay the rent so after being through that I am just grateful for having a roof over our head and a meal on the table, every night.
A roof and food.. transport...family and friends...I've been homeless a few times...once when I was small....again when hubby was out of work...we were newly married and I was expecting...you lose you build back up....stuff is just stuff after all...
Old May 29th 2007, 1:50 am
Banned

leonatlanta has a reputation beyond reputeleonatlanta has a reputation beyond reputeleonatlanta has a reputation beyond reputeleonatlanta has a reputation beyond reputeleonatlanta has a reputation beyond reputeleonatlanta has a reputation beyond reputeleonatlanta has a reputation beyond reputeleonatlanta has a reputation beyond reputeleonatlanta has a reputation beyond reputeleonatlanta has a reputation beyond reputeleonatlanta has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Shame on you for such a flippant reply.
it was a joke. could you imagine if someone had insurance and their insurance co suddenly stated, "oh sorry we changed our minds". i work in the legal field. you would quickly see a trillion $$ class action law suit against the insurance company which would scare every other insurance company out there to never repeat this misdirection.. i(if any one knows of any insurance company which has broken their contracts then please let me know ASAP with plaintiffs, company info etc, as i know some very hungry attorneys out there that would love to make a few million, if not then STFU) if you have insurance then you are covered for everything in that contract. period. im tired of listening to all this BS out there and misinformation.

so here's my last word on this hypothethical mess.

1) if i get sick then i am covered by my insurance company (yes bob i am also covered in case i get cancer, and no i wont have to fork out hundreds of thousands because i have insurance coverage)

2) if i lose my career, though how is beyond me? i have folk work for me. so lets say a yeti climbs into my window at night, eats my wife and tears off my arms and legs and tounge then i wont be able to work anymore. BUT!!! i have insurance to cover any fictional or hypothethical loss of work scenario!!!
did you hear that??? I HAVE LOSS OF WORK INSURANCE IN CASE OF SICKNESS AND ILLNESS AND TRAUMA TO MY PERSONS!

this includes, loss of earnings via sickness illness and traumatic accidents (trauma insurance) plus if i kick it my wife will get 1 million $ so if its terminal then i put a .44 through my brain and make it look like an accident.

there did you hear that?

so yes if i get sick it will be bad, but i have insurance which will cover me and if they say "sorry but we changed our minds" then i'd make effing millions in a massive highly publicised law suit.

god almighty. :curse: :curse:

Last edited by leonatlanta; May 29th 2007 at 1:55 am.
Old May 29th 2007, 1:58 am
Re vera, potas bene.

Originally Posted by leonatlanta
it was a joke. could you imagine if someone had insurance and their insurance co suddenly stated, "oh sorry we changed our minds". i work in the legal field. you would quickly see a trillion $$ class action law suit against the insurance company which would scare every other insurance company out there to never repeat this misdirection.. if you have insurance then you are covered for everything in that contract. period. im tired of listening to all this BS out there and misinformation.

so here's my last word on this hypothethical mess.

1) if i get sick then i am covered by my insurance company (yes bob i am also covered in case i get cancer, and no i wont have to fork out hundreds of thousands because i have insurance coverage)

2) if i lose my career, though how is beyond me? i have folk work for me. so lets say a yeti climbs into my window at night, eats my wife and tears off my arms and legs and tounge then i wont be able to work anymore. BUT!!! i have insurance to cover any fictional or hypothethical loss of work scenario!!!
did you hear that??? I HAVE LOSS OF WORK INSURANCE IN CASE OF SICKNESS AND ILLNESS AND TRAUMA TO MY PERSONS!

there did you hear that?

so yes if i get sick it will be bad, but i have insurance which will cover me and if they say "sorry but we changed our minds" then i'd make effing millions in a massive highly publicised law suit.

god almighty. :curse: :curse:
I think you'd better go put kettle on I can feel your BP rising from here...
You could go back to the UK because you're worried about health care and get run over by a bus and die...everything is in the Lap of the Gods...what will be will be...what does not kill us makes us bankrupt homeless pushing a shopping cart full of black bags along some big city high street.......

Last edited by krizzy; May 29th 2007 at 2:01 am.
Old May 29th 2007, 2:01 am
Banned

what does not kill us makes us bankrupt homeless pushing a shopping cart full of black bags....[/QUOTE]

thats if you dont have insurance i take it?

im drinking wine now, had a lovely day at the park, sunny, ducks, wife and sister in law, fresh air, heavy hands, then to the outlets nice stress free drive. wife and sister in law bought clothes and i bought a ben sherman bag and monty python's holy grail dvd. then back home, chicken sandwich, call of duty video game, wine and watching wife pack for costa rica. shit she needs travel insurance!

Last edited by leonatlanta; May 29th 2007 at 2:04 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.