Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Nanny State - US v UK

Nanny State - US v UK

Old May 27th 2007, 9:48 am
Forum Regular

Magnum is a jewel in the roughMagnum is a jewel in the roughMagnum is a jewel in the roughMagnum is a jewel in the roughMagnum is a jewel in the rough
Default Nanny State - US v UK

I think most would agree that the UK is a Nanny State and getting more Nannyish* by the year.

How does the US compare in terms of Nannydom*? Is there much state to state variation?

No offence to real Nannys

* these may not be real words but you get my drift
Old May 27th 2007, 10:10 am
Tool

Old William has a reputation beyond reputeOld William has a reputation beyond reputeOld William has a reputation beyond reputeOld William has a reputation beyond reputeOld William has a reputation beyond reputeOld William has a reputation beyond reputeOld William has a reputation beyond reputeOld William has a reputation beyond reputeOld William has a reputation beyond reputeOld William has a reputation beyond reputeOld William has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Nanny State - US v UK

Originally Posted by Magnum
I think most would agree that the UK is a Nanny State and getting more Nannyish* by the year.

How does the US compare in terms of Nannydom*? Is there much state to state variation?

Actually Noo Labour would like the UK to be a nanny state and while stuff like the like HSE and various social experiments they have conducted have certainly made it more "nannyish" there seems to be a slight but perceptible change away from it all. Public opinion has shown this recently. The UK is certainly nowhere near as nannyish as other EU states...Sweden springs to mind.

As for the US I personally think that it's very nannyish but in a different way....it's unbeleivably beaurocratic and very definitely run for a small number of people - ie large corps and certain dynasty familys, leaving everyone else to beleive they are free to do whatever when infact their entire lives are being run for them to the benefit of others.
Old May 27th 2007, 1:47 pm
Banned

leonatlanta has a reputation beyond reputeleonatlanta has a reputation beyond reputeleonatlanta has a reputation beyond reputeleonatlanta has a reputation beyond reputeleonatlanta has a reputation beyond reputeleonatlanta has a reputation beyond reputeleonatlanta has a reputation beyond reputeleonatlanta has a reputation beyond reputeleonatlanta has a reputation beyond reputeleonatlanta has a reputation beyond reputeleonatlanta has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Magnum

well magnum,
i think its all swings and roundabouts really. on the one hand the UK is THE nanny state but the US is also very beurocratic. but compared to individual freedoms, the US has to win hands down (not up?) but the UK also has more freedoms socially and in the press. take for instance this lovely bunch of "peaceful" guys whom will soon demonstrate in the UK "rise up" demo. http://britishoppression.com in the US they would never even dream of holding a call for sedition march on parliament. and rightly so.

so heres a recap

socially the UK is more flexible (pub/club culture)
uk, its a big fat nanny state
the US has more individual freedoms but slightly more beurocracy
the US is a great place to work and reap in the rewards
the UK is a great place to work hard, pay is little and you are more inclined to spend it in the pub. (well i did)

the US prides itself on individual freedoms (its in the constitution)
the UK prides itself on er, curry and er speed cameras.

i'll get me coat.....
Old May 27th 2007, 1:52 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

welfare state/social safety net vs free-for-all/sink-or-swim

laws that protect the individual vs laws that favour corporations and extensive bureaucracy

Long live the Nanny-State...
Old May 27th 2007, 6:53 pm
Re vera, potas bene.

krizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond repute

The sink or swim of the USA has worked for us....

Put against what we did in the UK when hubby lost his job...and what we did here...well...America wins hands down in our case.....
If we lose a job again...which is very lightly in the next few weeks...I'll see if we do as well again....
Old May 27th 2007, 7:06 pm
Banned

leonatlanta has a reputation beyond reputeleonatlanta has a reputation beyond reputeleonatlanta has a reputation beyond reputeleonatlanta has a reputation beyond reputeleonatlanta has a reputation beyond reputeleonatlanta has a reputation beyond reputeleonatlanta has a reputation beyond reputeleonatlanta has a reputation beyond reputeleonatlanta has a reputation beyond reputeleonatlanta has a reputation beyond reputeleonatlanta has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by krizzy
The sink or swim of the USA has worked for us....

Put against what we did in the UK when hubby lost his job...and what we did here...well...America wins hands down in our case.....
If we lose a job again...which is very lightly in the next few weeks...I'll see if we do as well again....
agreed, i came from a moldy bedsit in kentish town. the USA is a whole new ball game, you can be anyone you want to be and you are rewarded for your hard work. but then again i was in london, a highly competitive market. but living in georgia there are so many careers to choose, so many directions and business opportunities if you want them and are willing to go get them. but you dont have the safety net of social security in the US as you do in the UK, which is also a hindrance as it seems to encourage laziness (i was also on the dole for a while, i couldnt even get a job at mcdonalds even though i was a uni graduate!!!) if i ever went back to the UK i know that i would be in a different frame of mind and would prolly start my own business there. but it would be a lot tougher than here. its all about positive thinking and being happy with yourself which can influence your business moves. hope i dont sound too smug? but my life has improved being in the states.guess having a good woman behind you helps a lot and stabilises you.

where do u guys live? i'm looking for an apprentice, another brit would be great.

Last edited by leonatlanta; May 27th 2007 at 7:10 pm.
Old May 27th 2007, 7:16 pm
Thinking about it

BigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by leonatlanta
agreed, i came from a moldy bedsit in kentish town. the USA is a whole new ball game, you can be anyone you want to be and you are rewarded for your hard work. but then again i was in london, a highly competitive market. but living in georgia there are so many careers to choose, so many directions and business opportunities if you want them and are willing to go get them. but you dont have the safety net of social security in the US as you do in the UK, which is also a hindrance as it seems to encourage laziness (i was also on the dole for a while, i couldnt even get a job at mcdonalds even though i was a uni graduate!!!) if i ever went back to the UK i know that i would be in a different frame of mind and would prolly start my own business there. but it would be a lot tougher than here. its all about positive thinking and being happy with yourself which can influence your business moves. hope i dont sound too smug? but my life has improved being in the states.guess having a good woman behind you helps a lot and stabilises you.

where do u guys live? i'm looking for an apprentice, another brit would be great.
Fair play to you, but I think your comments are a bit of a sweeping generalisation based on your own experiences.
In the corporate world I've found America to be more cut-throat than the UK, with more gloryhunters and liars amongst your colleagues than the UK. For opportunities are greater here purely because of the numbers game - I've moved to a bigger market place, that is the only benefit I have gained.
Old May 27th 2007, 7:32 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

.......... you dont have the safety net of social security in the US as you do in the UK, which is also a hindrance as it seems to encourage laziness ...................if i ever went back to the UK i ... would prolly start my own business there. but it would be a lot tougher than here. its all about positive thinking and being happy with yourself...........
I agree with you that the safety net does encourage laziness *to some extent* - I wish someone could come up with a way of getting lazy sods off their arses without penalising the genuinely needy.

As far as starting your own business is concerned: so far, the ONLY people I have met here who run their own business/are self-employed are those who have a spouse whose job entitles their whole families to health insurance. Indeed, I know quite a few women who work SOLELY so that their families get healthcare.

Until the US sorts out this anomaly - which is unique to the Western world - the US will always be a precarious place to live and work.

(I know I probably sound like a broken record but, for personal reasons this is a subject very close to my heart.)
Old May 27th 2007, 10:06 pm
Account Closed

TouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really nice

Get them doing 20 community service hours a week and you'd see how fast those lazy bums would stop living off the dole
Old May 27th 2007, 11:16 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Elvira
I agree with you that the safety net does encourage laziness *to some extent* - I wish someone could come up with a way of getting lazy sods off their arses without penalising the genuinely needy.

As far as starting your own business is concerned: so far, the ONLY people I have met here who run their own business/are self-employed are those who have a spouse whose job entitles their whole families to health insurance. Indeed, I know quite a few women who work SOLELY so that their families get healthcare.

Until the US sorts out this anomaly - which is unique to the Western world - the US will always be a precarious place to live and work.

(I know I probably sound like a broken record but, for personal reasons this is a subject very close to my heart.)

thats true. my wife was working for a major software company, im self employed and we have her insurance. shes now quit and is also self employed so we have about 1 year left of her old insurance company. its about $600 per month for both of us. afterwards im not sure how much but i know its a really stupid amount.
Old May 28th 2007, 12:35 am
Re vera, potas bene.

krizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond repute

geezzzz I wish I could spell only just noticed a boo boo...we live in MA..right now....also have a place in FL...
Love New England...but time to move on...no jobs around here if this one goes....
Old May 28th 2007, 12:42 am
Not dead yet

Thydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BigDavyG
Fair play to you, but I think your comments are a bit of a sweeping generalisation based on your own experiences.
In the corporate world I've found America to be more cut-throat than the UK, with more gloryhunters and liars amongst your colleagues than the UK. For opportunities are greater here purely because of the numbers game - I've moved to a bigger market place, that is the only benefit I have gained.
true
Old May 28th 2007, 12:49 am
Not dead yet

Thydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond repute

The US is great when everything is going well as it is for you leon, wait till it goes tits up and the thirty/fifty thousand dollar hospital bills arrive
Old May 28th 2007, 2:22 am
Banned

Originally Posted by Thydney
The US is great when everything is going well as it is for you leon, wait till it goes tits up and the thirty/fifty thousand dollar hospital bills arrive
but i will always have insurance thydney. it's like $600 per month. expensive but affordable. i'm in a niche of a business and hiring folk to work for me, and my wife runs here own sucessful business with her father. i'm not on here to brag. i'd hate to be in a position like you say but its an unlikely scenario. i will always have the $600 for our health insurance per month. its expensive but i chose to live in the USA and not expect the government to bail me out and nanny me for the rest of my life. but thanks anyway my friend.
Old May 28th 2007, 2:31 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

but i will always have insurance thydney. it's like $600 per month. expensive but affordable. i'm in a niche of a business and hiring folk to work for me, and my wife runs here own sucessful business with her father. i'm not on here to brag. i'd hate to be in a position like you say but its an unlikely scenario. i will always have the $600 for our health insurance per month. its expensive but i chose to live in the USA and not expect the government to bail me out and nanny me for the rest of my life. but thanks anyway my friend.
Don't be so sure of that. What if you or your wife had a terminal illness? You could be paying hundreds of thousands on top of what your insurance will pay.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.