Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Nanny State - US v UK

Nanny State - US v UK

Old Jun 5th 2007, 7:43 am
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Nanny State - US v UK

Originally Posted by another bloody yank
Just skimmed it, I've got to go. It looks interesting and deserved more time than I can give it right now.
This is the story that was inspired by Mr Vallandigham-

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Man_Without_a_Country

read both when you get a chance.
Old Jun 5th 2007, 7:48 am
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mallory
Who? You and Hanoi Jane?
Last I checked Jane was quite comfy here.

Look at Americans who choose to live overseas and you'll find some interesting folks. Now I think of it, I'll go join Johnny Depp in France.

http://www.bizjournals.com/buffalo/s...tml?from_rss=1

Three million have plans, and another seventeen million are considering it. I figure that's a fairly substantial number.
Old Jun 5th 2007, 7:49 am
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

You aren't stuck, I think you can leave at any time. This isn't Cuba. The children can live with their dad can't they?
1) Americans moving abroad cannot just waltz in and live wherever they like.

2) My loyalties lie first with my children.
Old Jun 5th 2007, 7:51 am
Account Closed

TouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really nice

Strange isn't it, as thousands of Central and South Americans are trying to get to the USA. no one ever satisfied.
It isn't a matter of satisfication. It is a matter of survival. Some of the older folk that I used to speak to had been in the services, had homes that were paid off, etc.

They were barely making it here and many couldn't afford their prescriptions. They didn't move down there because they didn't like it here. They moved down there because they couldn't have a decent life here.

Your home can be paid off, but you still have property tax to come up with. Many of them had very very sick spouses and couldn't afford the medical care here, so they'd moved down to Panama and Costa Rica in order to get it.

There are thousands upon thousands of older USC's that live down there because they just can't afford to live here. There are entire websites dedicated to the older USC's who can't afford to live here.
Old Jun 5th 2007, 7:54 am
Account Closed

TouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really nice

Originally Posted by snowbunny

Look at Americans who choose to live overseas and you'll find some interesting folks. Now I think of it, I'll go join Johnny Depp in France.

Three million have plans, and another seventeen million are considering it. I figure that's a fairly substantial number.
I don't know snowbunny. Talk is cheap. The vast majority probably won't even get as far as getting a passport
Old Jun 5th 2007, 8:02 am
In the pink

Mallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond repute

I can't wait to read the: Moving back to the USA forum!

I can hear it now -
Oh, I hate the French because they are shallow, and won't be my friend.
I'm tired of the beaches, and the eating of snails.
Their bathrooms aren't modern/clean enough.
Oh Lord, they don't know what biscuits and gravy are.
My goodness, the petrol is so expensive.
Oh dear, I can't find knit pants anywhere.
Where is the Kraft mayo?
Old Jun 5th 2007, 8:02 am
In the pink

Mallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond repute

1) Americans moving abroad cannot just waltz in and live wherever they like.

2) My loyalties lie first with my children.
You can live in Holland.
Old Jun 5th 2007, 8:04 am
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TouristTrap
Well, there are entire communities of USC's in South and Central America for instance, who moved there because they can't afford to live here anymore. Can't afford their homes anymore due to the property tax and insurance situation and many of them veterans.
There are two major incidents of diaspora that predate that-, 8-10 thousand Confederates fled the US after the Civil War for Mexico and Brazil. However many in Brazil eventually returned to the US because they were able to swallow their distaste for the Union in order to cure their homesickness. Of course we had 80-100 thousand Loyalists flee during and after the Reovlutionary War for the Caribbean, Canada and back to the UK and the Continent. The irony was in returning to the UK, basically as refugees they had a very difficult time-many ended up in debtor's prison or the workhouse.
Old Jun 5th 2007, 8:05 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Tracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond repute

You can live in Holland.
I think the kids belong to the ex-husband, who wouldn't agree.
Old Jun 5th 2007, 8:06 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

britvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by another bloody yank
Don't care.

Actually, not Canada or Mexico, too close. Could probably still hear 'em.

Nope.
You would have to give up your gun's of course...well you could join a gun club...but I think you would fit in pretty well back in my little green island, you'd be one of them interesting Chap's that pop in the Pub
Old Jun 5th 2007, 8:23 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

You can live in Holland.
easier said than done when the children can't even more state, let alone country.
Old Jun 5th 2007, 8:33 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Tracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
easier said than done when the children can't even more state, let alone country.
Well, one can get a custody change - and a judge can allow a parent to take kids away. They generally consider "the best interests of the children".

So all that's needed is to convince the judge of what a horrible country this is, and how it would be in the children's best interest to flee it.
Old Jun 5th 2007, 9:15 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tracym
Well, one can get a custody change - and a judge can allow a parent to take kids away. They generally consider "the best interests of the children".

So all that's needed is to convince the judge of what a horrible country this is, and how it would be in the children's best interest to flee it.
In Texas?
Old Jun 5th 2007, 9:18 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Bob
In Texas?
Sure, why not. I dunno about easy however... Don't they consider Texas pretty much a separate country anyway?
Old Jun 5th 2007, 9:30 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

You aren't stuck, I think you can leave at any time. This isn't Cuba. The children can live with their dad can't they?
That's not fair!! You have no idea what her personal situation is.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.