Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Land of opportunity...

Land of opportunity...

Old Jul 20th 2008, 6:48 pm
Riding on silver wings

ugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Land of opportunity...

Methinks this very young user has a habit of posting economic data on other forums. Just an inkling I have.
Old Jul 20th 2008, 6:49 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ugacrew
Methinks this very young user has a habit of posting economic data on other forums. Just an inkling I have.
A ginkling, perhaps?
Old Jul 20th 2008, 6:50 pm
Riding on silver wings

ugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fatbrit
A ginkling, perhaps?
An itty bitty tinny weeny yellow polka dot bikini kinda ginkling.
Old Jul 20th 2008, 6:54 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RoadWarriorFromLP
and stop enjoying foreign trinkets.
That's unconstitutional, that is!
Old Jul 20th 2008, 6:59 pm
Forum Regular

Vladimir is a name known to allVladimir is a name known to allVladimir is a name known to allVladimir is a name known to allVladimir is a name known to allVladimir is a name known to allVladimir is a name known to allVladimir is a name known to allVladimir is a name known to allVladimir is a name known to allVladimir is a name known to all

Sure it does, because it allows consumers to acquire goods more cheaply from abroad than they could if they were sourced at home. They increase their consumption of their goods accordingly, which increases GDP and keep domestic inflation rates low. Their purchasing power increases thanks to the labor arbitrage achieved from the imports.

The alternatives to importing these goods would be to produce more of them domestically at higher prices (higher labor rates), which would necessarily reduce consumption and the business infrastructure that imports and retails them. US businesses achieve growth by selling these imports, which adds to GDP.

"Booming" is a relative term. US exports clearly cannot keep apace with the US appetite for imports, obviously, otherwise the US wouldn't attempt to support such a massive trade deficit. That trade deficit that can only be supported through foreign investment (read: debt.)

The weakening dollar and soaring commodity prices suggest that the system is cracking. Only a textbook idealist could believe that a weak dollar is good for the United States. The US is import dependent and has no basis for creating a trade balance.

If the dollar continues to lose value at this pace, there is no reason to believe that it will continue to remain a reserve currency over the long run, as no foreign treasury will wish to stay heavily invested in a rapidly depreciating asset.
I think fonseca mean that weak dollar became USA products cheaper and could "boom" export that results and could growth GDP.
Actually trade balance doesn`t mean alot for a one time.
But constantly like in USA it could make opinion of investors that USA haven`t possiblites to pay USA saldo. And make decision to more actual country that could USA GDP down.
Old Jul 20th 2008, 7:00 pm
A lion in your lap

elfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vladimir
I think fonseca mean that weak dollar became USA products cheaper and could "boom" export that results and could growth GDP.
But constantly like in USA it could make opinion of investors that USA haven`t possiblites to pay USA saldo. And make decision to more actual country that could USA GDP down.
thanks Borat
Old Jul 20th 2008, 7:01 pm
Banned

Kali-forniarrr has a reputation beyond reputeKali-forniarrr has a reputation beyond reputeKali-forniarrr has a reputation beyond reputeKali-forniarrr has a reputation beyond reputeKali-forniarrr has a reputation beyond reputeKali-forniarrr has a reputation beyond reputeKali-forniarrr has a reputation beyond reputeKali-forniarrr has a reputation beyond reputeKali-forniarrr has a reputation beyond reputeKali-forniarrr has a reputation beyond reputeKali-forniarrr has a reputation beyond repute

exactly... I think.
Old Jul 20th 2008, 7:07 pm
Forum Regular

Vladimir is a name known to allVladimir is a name known to allVladimir is a name known to allVladimir is a name known to allVladimir is a name known to allVladimir is a name known to allVladimir is a name known to allVladimir is a name known to allVladimir is a name known to allVladimir is a name known to allVladimir is a name known to all

Originally Posted by elfman
thanks Borat
I don`t no but in every thread here everybody call me borat.
I think this is to Freid.
Though from the movie we could realized that that opportunities is only in USA
Old Jul 20th 2008, 7:22 pm
Bloody Yank

RoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond repute

(Yes, I understood that.) You are right, I'm sure that's what he meant.

The only problem with that argument is that the US is still running enormous trade deficits, and the devaluation of the dollar has done little to change this.

There is no point at which the US dollar can be weak enough to create a trade balance. We would have to lose our thirst for imported oil and dramatically reduce our consumption of imports to fix it. Or else, we can start paying US workers what the Chinese are paying theirs (something that we attempt to accomplish with illegal migrant labor, but I digress.)
Old Jul 20th 2008, 7:41 pm
Forum Regular

(Yes, I understood that.) You are right, I'm sure that's what he meant.

The only problem with that argument is that the US is still running enormous trade deficits, and the devaluation of the dollar has done little to change this.

There is no point at which the US dollar can be weak enough to create a trade balance. We would have to lose our thirst for imported oil and dramatically reduce our consumption of imports to fix it. Or else, we can start paying US workers what the Chinese are paying theirs (something that we attempt to accomplish with illegal migrant labor, but I digress.)
For the first time i think that american workers only 2 times more overpaied then chinese. I don`t think that this could be so much resonable.
Fonseca wrong that the say that weak dollar is good.Yes this is good 20 years ago and maybe now. Weak dollar make USA like great export country himself. Unfortunatly Without possibilities to cover it. Which shows trade deficit.
But this is only given situation. I think fonseca told about ideal model without credits and strong Trade deficit.
Old Jul 20th 2008, 7:47 pm
Bloody Yank

RoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond repute

For the first time i think that american workers only 2 times more overpaied then chinese.
Not at all the case. China's per capita GDP (PPP) was $5,300; the US' was $45,800. That's a difference of over nine times.
Old Jul 20th 2008, 8:00 pm
Forum Regular

Not at all the case. China's per capita GDP (PPP) was $5,300; the US' was $45,800. That's a difference of over nine times.
Lets count. Aver. salary in USA (probably) 2500$/9=280$.
For the same work i China pay usually a i listen 150$. I think i was right.
Old Jul 20th 2008, 8:01 pm
Riding on silver wings

Lets count. Aver. salary in USA (probably) 2500$/9=280$.
For the same work i China pay usually a i listen 150$. I think i was right.
That figure is waaaaaay of. The average salary is much much higher than China. Where are you getting your figures?
Old Jul 20th 2008, 8:31 pm
Septicity

Originally Posted by ugacrew
An itty bitty tinny weeny yellow polka dot bikini kinda ginkling.
I've asked flyertalk whether they want their troll back. They didn't seem very enthusiastic.
Old Jul 20th 2008, 8:39 pm
Account Closed

Okachickima is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by anotherlimey
I think the problem is that murders are included, and - IIRC - if you're an African-American male you're more likely to end up on a slab than in university by the time you're 21. That's going to skew these numbers slightly.
And the fact that these figures are simply bogus continues to be ignored.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.