Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Land of opportunity...

Land of opportunity...

Old Jul 20th 2008, 2:07 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Land of opportunity...

Originally Posted by Tracym
Well if she is unhappy here, then I sympathise with her.

Some times are difficult for ppl, I hope we'll give her a break here. Please.
I agree....
Old Jul 20th 2008, 2:10 am
Riding on silver wings

ugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AmerLisa
I agree....
I'm not an immigrant but I can understand where she's coming from. The whole issue about being in a place where you don't want to be. Circumstances out of your control making it impossible to do what your heart wants desperately to do to remedy the situation. I'm somewhat in that situation myself but not to the degree that Elvira is. I feel for the lady.
Old Jul 20th 2008, 2:24 am
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Guys, gals.......... this thread isn't about me!

I posted the report because I felt it would be of interest to expats in the US and some of the dozens or so people we get asking about immigration every single day.

I had personal reasons for not being able to engage in the subsequent......... discussion.

And I am really not as unhappy here as some of you think. I have good periods, and not so good ones, although it is true to say that I am often homesick. I am doing the best I can!

But really, could you either focus on the issues, or just let this thread die...

Ta muchly!
Old Jul 20th 2008, 2:24 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ugacrew
I'm not an immigrant but I can understand where she's coming from. The whole issue about being in a place where you don't want to be. Circumstances out of your control making it impossible to do what your heart wants desperately to do to remedy the situation. I'm somewhat in that situation myself but not to the degree that Elvira is. I feel for the lady.
Been there, done that got, the t-shirt. At any rate, I have talked to Elvira and I sympathize for her deeply right now. At that, I will leave it alone and hopefully others will follow suit.
Old Jul 20th 2008, 2:26 am
Guttural Brumerican

Titchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Elvira
Guys, gals.......... this thread isn't about me!

I posted the report because I felt it would be of interest to expats in the US and some of the dozens or so people we get asking about immigration every single day.

I had personal reasons for not being able to engage in the subsequent......... discussion.

And I am really not as unhappy here as some of you think. I have good periods, and not so good ones, although it is true to say that I am often homesick. I am doing the best I can!

But really, could you either focus on the issues, or just let this thread die...

Ta muchly!
but no ones mentioned boobs, bread or bacon yet? At least I don't think so anyway. It can't die until thats happened surely?
Old Jul 20th 2008, 8:21 am
BE Forum Addict

Tootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fonseca33
The UK is fair, because as a state, it would rank just below Alabama in terms of real GDP/capita, which is essentially a broad measure of economic activity. The whole US is above the UK ($46k vs. $35k), and many states that people consider poor (Alabama, Tenn., Georgia, South Carolina) are actually above the UK in this figure, which is pretty funny. Source: IMF APRIL 2008. For state stats, I have the BLS as a source. I have all the sources here if anybody needs it.

USA's poorest state is well above Portugal, and is actually right below Italy, in terms of GDP per capita (PPP).
I've seen figures and claims using GDP per capita that put the country I just left way ahead of the USA and by far the richest, and economically active in the world - and therefore by your logic, evidently the greatest place on earth to be.

You must be fukcing kidding me right??
Old Jul 20th 2008, 8:23 am
BE Forum Addict

Tootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond repute

That is a factor, but there are others. Another factor is that there are simply not as many jobs available. My cousin in Spain is thinking of coming here because in Spain there are few engineering jobs in her field, and in the US there is great demand and much higher pay. Another factor hurting European workers is wage inflexibility. In the United States, wage growth is depressed in recessions. When wage growth slows, the number of workers hired increases. Wages tend to be more rigid in Europe, where they are often set by union bargaining with an entire industry. As a result, wage growth does not slow when labor is in surplus, thus limiting the demand for additional workers. Finally, no discussion of European unemployment is complete without mentioning employment protection. Europeans dislike layoffs, and they make it very costly for companies to dismiss workers. The result is actually harmful to the unemployed. Because it is so expensive for a company to terminate an employee, firms are very hesitant to hire workers in the first place.
And what sort of recruitment, business experience do you have with which to base these conclusions on .. I'm curious.
Old Jul 20th 2008, 10:25 am
gurt mint nit?

Xebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Titchski
but no ones mentioned boobs, bread or bacon yet? At least I don't think so anyway. It can't die until thats happened surely?
So...

As any comparisons made to Nazi Germany or Hitler are automatic thread killers (according to Godwin's law);

There could be another rule added that any references made to tits, bacon or bread result in immediate closing of the thread?

That would cut down on the subject matter a bit.
Old Jul 20th 2008, 10:34 am
gurt mint nit?

Xebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steerpike
I stated something similar in a response to another thread, but I think it's applicable here too. It's almost unfair to compare, say, UK, to the USA. If not unfair, then at least, not very meaningful. The USA should be compared to something more along the lines of Europe. In Europe, you have poor countries (eg, Portugal) and rich countries (eg, Germany), and the range is wide. Similarly, in the US, you have poor areas (eg, the Appalachians of West Virginia and Tennessee) and rich areas such as the Northeast and the cities of the West Coast.

The chronic state of healthcare in this country is a nationwide embarrassment, however, for those without insurance.
Da, Tovaritch.

America's mainstaying strength lies in the sheer scale it has.
Economic behemoth - even now.
So to compare the US to somewhere other than, Russia, Europe or the dark side of the Moon is not taking into account one of, or possibly, the single most important factor.

(Yes, the deliberate mistake was, in fact, in the Pink Floyd reference. Well spotted.)
Old Jul 20th 2008, 12:59 pm
Forum Regular

Vladimir is a name known to allVladimir is a name known to allVladimir is a name known to allVladimir is a name known to allVladimir is a name known to allVladimir is a name known to allVladimir is a name known to allVladimir is a name known to allVladimir is a name known to allVladimir is a name known to allVladimir is a name known to all

The UK is fair, because as a state, it would rank just below Alabama in terms of real GDP/capita, which is essentially a broad measure of economic activity. The whole US is above the UK ($46k vs. $35k), and many states that people consider poor (Alabama, Tenn., Georgia, South Carolina) are actually above the UK in this figure, which is pretty funny. Source: IMF APRIL 2008. For state stats, I have the BLS as a source. I have all the sources here if anybody needs it.

USA's poorest state is well above Portugal, and is actually right below Italy, in terms of GDP per capita (PPP).
Yes as i read poorest states nearly 25k per capital that is more then 21 k of Portugal. But much less then 36k of UK.
Old Jul 20th 2008, 1:08 pm
Forum Regular

Vladimir is a name known to allVladimir is a name known to allVladimir is a name known to allVladimir is a name known to allVladimir is a name known to allVladimir is a name known to allVladimir is a name known to allVladimir is a name known to allVladimir is a name known to allVladimir is a name known to allVladimir is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Xebedee
Da, Tovaritch.

America's mainstaying strength lies in the sheer scale it has.
Economic behemoth - even now.
So to compare the US to somewhere other than, Russia, Europe or the dark side of the Moon is not taking into account one of, or possibly, the single most important factor.

(Yes, the deliberate mistake was, in fact, in the Pink Floyd reference. Well spotted.)
The real problem not only economics. The PR of USA like land of possibilities don`t help people to work. Result we already have now.
Actualy Russia could have similar with Porugal GDP per capital in 6 years.
Old Jul 20th 2008, 3:00 pm
Forum Regular

Fonseca33 has much to be proud ofFonseca33 has much to be proud ofFonseca33 has much to be proud ofFonseca33 has much to be proud ofFonseca33 has much to be proud ofFonseca33 has much to be proud ofFonseca33 has much to be proud ofFonseca33 has much to be proud ofFonseca33 has much to be proud ofFonseca33 has much to be proud ofFonseca33 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Tootsie Frickensprinkles
I've seen figures and claims using GDP per capita that put the country I just left way ahead of the USA and by far the richest, and economically active in the world - and therefore by your logic, evidently the greatest place on earth to be.

You must be fukcing kidding me right??
That's totally incorrect. Look here lady:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...PP)_per_capita

And yes, that puts the UK below Alabama for the year 2007 ($35k vs $36k). The state figures come from the BLS website:

http://www.bea.gov/regional/gsp/

You were probably looking at GDP per capita at exchage rates. This is the incorrect way of calculating it, since it doesn't take into account the real exchange rate and cost of living. GDP per capita (ppp) is the correct way of measuring it.

The figures which you've seen probably use the market exchange rate to calculate GDP, but of course the correct way to calculate this is using PPP.

For more reading:

http://www.oecd.org/dataoecd/59/53/37984314.pdf
Old Jul 20th 2008, 3:04 pm
Forum Regular

Fonseca33 has much to be proud ofFonseca33 has much to be proud ofFonseca33 has much to be proud ofFonseca33 has much to be proud ofFonseca33 has much to be proud ofFonseca33 has much to be proud ofFonseca33 has much to be proud ofFonseca33 has much to be proud ofFonseca33 has much to be proud ofFonseca33 has much to be proud ofFonseca33 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Tootsie Frickensprinkles
And what sort of recruitment, business experience do you have with which to base these conclusions on .. I'm curious.
I'm Economics Professor at UF, and I think I know (after years, and after hundreds of publications) what I am talking about. What I said is also common knowledge, so I am surprised somebody doubted it.

Here is a direct link:

http://www.ncpa.org/pub/ba/ba475/

Last edited by Fonseca33; Jul 20th 2008 at 3:16 pm.
Old Jul 20th 2008, 3:10 pm
Riding on silver wings

ugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond repute

I'm Economics Professor at UF, and I think I know (after years, and after hundreds of publications) what I am talking about. What I said is also common knowledge, so I am surprised somebody doubted it.
To be fair I also was wondering the same thing. Given the very low amount of posts that you have and the strong penchant for posting sites and articles to back up your arguments, I had to wonder about your background. I think without knowing that you are a Prof. at Florida I'd probably think you were someone who had a strange hobby of collecting economic statistics. It makes sense now.
Old Jul 20th 2008, 3:15 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Vladimir
Yes as i read poorest states nearly 25k per capital that is more then 21 k of Portugal. But much less then 36k of UK.
The poorest state is Mississippi is for 2007:

GDP: $90 billion
Population: 2,912,000

Per capita GDP: $ 30,900

http://www.bea.gov/regional/gsp/

http://www.census.gov/popest/states/...EST2006-01.xls

As of 2007, Italy was at $30,400

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...PP)_per_capita

Of course, I'd rather go to Italy anyway

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.