Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Land of opportunity...

Land of opportunity...

Old Jul 19th 2008, 5:25 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Land of opportunity...

Originally Posted by Fonseca33
And how did we get out of the past 10 recessions? Every one is different. The point is that they all end. Household debt in the UK is alot worse than the US. This time, exports are booming, and this is specifically why we are not in a recession, statistically.

"Families in the UK now owe a record 173pc of their incomes in debts, official figures have shown. The ratio of debt to income is higher than any other country in the Group of Seven leading industrialised economies, and is sharply higher than the 129pc of incomes it was five years ago."

http://forum.prisonplanet.com/index.php?topic=46902.0
I'm confused; what does household debt in the UK have to do with how the US will get out of this recession and whether the US is or isn't a land of opportunity?
Old Jul 19th 2008, 7:17 pm
Professional Drama Queen

Songbird has a reputation beyond reputeSongbird has a reputation beyond reputeSongbird has a reputation beyond reputeSongbird has a reputation beyond reputeSongbird has a reputation beyond reputeSongbird has a reputation beyond reputeSongbird has a reputation beyond reputeSongbird has a reputation beyond reputeSongbird has a reputation beyond reputeSongbird has a reputation beyond reputeSongbird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AmerLisa
Maybe she hasn't commented with an opinion because she got the desired effect she was hoping for.
The 'desired effect' being discussion on some very important issues - and the problem with that is ??
Old Jul 19th 2008, 7:53 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Songbird
The 'desired effect' being discussion on some very important issues - and the problem with that is ??
Maybe you should read the whole thread and not comment on the last post.
Old Jul 19th 2008, 9:05 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

More than just lol now...honestly...

No, the same cannot be said about any other economy. In W. Europe, the avg. person has to wait wait 4 months between being layed off and findig work. In the US it's only a few weeks. Immigrants do much better here economically than they do in any other part of the world, and this is due to our dynamic system that prmotes hard work. The US is the land of opportunity, and this is proven by the huge amounts of people from all over the world that come to study and live. According to the OECD, the US has more skilled immigrants than the rest of the world combined. That should tell you something.

According to the National Venture Capital Association, immigrants make up only 11.7% of the U.S. population, but have started one in four of all U.S. public companies that have been venture-backed over the past 15 years, including Intel, Google, Yahoo!, Sun and eBay. This doesn't happen in other parts of the world.
Old Jul 19th 2008, 9:07 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AmerLisa
Maybe she hasn't commented with an opinion because she got the desired effect she was hoping for.
And that would be?

It's been a fairly valid discussion so far in the main in my opinion.
Old Jul 19th 2008, 9:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

I stated something similar in a response to another thread, but I think it's applicable here too. It's almost unfair to compare, say, UK, to the USA. If not unfair, then at least, not very meaningful. The USA should be compared to something more along the lines of Europe. In Europe, you have poor countries (eg, Portugal) and rich countries (eg, Germany), and the range is wide. Similarly, in the US, you have poor areas (eg, the Appalachians of West Virginia and Tennessee) and rich areas such as the Northeast and the cities of the West Coast.

The chronic state of healthcare in this country is a nationwide embarrassment, however, for those without insurance.
Old Jul 19th 2008, 10:26 pm
Forum Regular

Fonseca33 has much to be proud ofFonseca33 has much to be proud ofFonseca33 has much to be proud ofFonseca33 has much to be proud ofFonseca33 has much to be proud ofFonseca33 has much to be proud ofFonseca33 has much to be proud ofFonseca33 has much to be proud ofFonseca33 has much to be proud ofFonseca33 has much to be proud ofFonseca33 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
I'm confused; what does household debt in the UK have to do with how the US will get out of this recession and whether the US is or isn't a land of opportunity?
Because somebody brought up debt first.
Old Jul 19th 2008, 10:27 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

Because somebody brought up debt first.
I don't give a rats if the UK is in recession, I don't live there.
Old Jul 19th 2008, 10:45 pm
Forum Regular

Fonseca33 has much to be proud ofFonseca33 has much to be proud ofFonseca33 has much to be proud ofFonseca33 has much to be proud ofFonseca33 has much to be proud ofFonseca33 has much to be proud ofFonseca33 has much to be proud ofFonseca33 has much to be proud ofFonseca33 has much to be proud ofFonseca33 has much to be proud ofFonseca33 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Manc
Horse manure.
My numbers were off, but the point remains

Avg duration of unemployment in:

US: 3.8 months
France: 12.8 months
Spain: 19 months
Finland: 10.5 months

http://www.ncpa.org/pub/ba/ba475/images/ba475fig2.gif
Old Jul 19th 2008, 10:46 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

My numbers were off, but the point remains

Avg duration of unemployment in:
I think that's more to do with the time allowed by the welfare office to find a job.

in the USA you're given 6 months unemployment and that's it.
either find a job or starve to death.

in Europe you have time to be picky.
Old Jul 19th 2008, 10:50 pm
Riding on silver wings

ugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond repute

I think that's more to do with the time allowed by the welfare office to find a job.

Nah. It's all about having health care. It's non-existent when you are unemployed and COBRA is the greatest rip off. When I'm unemployed it's not about mounting expenses. It's about making sure I don't pay $100 for one of the various lifetime med's I'm on. Or facing the fact of how much it would cost if I ever got in a car accident. That's this Yank's greatest motivating factor. Otherwise I've got family to help me out with other issues.
Old Jul 19th 2008, 10:55 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
It tells us that historically the US has been the land of opportunity. It tells us very little about whether the decline in social mobility in the US will make it less so down the road. I doubt the situation moving forward is as clear cut in favour of the US as you are trying to make out.
During the last 5 years, the US has seen a huge number of legal immigrant arrivals, just as much as before. So obviously it continues to be the land of opportunity.

http://www.cis.org/articles/2004/back123.gif

The US has very strict standards, and hopefully our next president will make it easier to come in, since so many want to.
Old Jul 19th 2008, 11:00 pm
Forum Regular

That is a factor, but there are others. Another factor is that there are simply not as many jobs available. My cousin in Spain is thinking of coming here because in Spain there are few engineering jobs in her field, and in the US there is great demand and much higher pay. Another factor hurting European workers is wage inflexibility. In the United States, wage growth is depressed in recessions. When wage growth slows, the number of workers hired increases. Wages tend to be more rigid in Europe, where they are often set by union bargaining with an entire industry. As a result, wage growth does not slow when labor is in surplus, thus limiting the demand for additional workers. Finally, no discussion of European unemployment is complete without mentioning employment protection. Europeans dislike layoffs, and they make it very costly for companies to dismiss workers. The result is actually harmful to the unemployed. Because it is so expensive for a company to terminate an employee, firms are very hesitant to hire workers in the first place.
Old Jul 19th 2008, 11:01 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ugacrew
Nah. It's all about having health care. It's non-existent when you are unemployed and COBRA is the greatest rip off. When I'm unemployed it's not about mounting expenses. It's about making sure I don't pay $100 for one of the various lifetime med's I'm on. Or facing the fact of how much it would cost if I ever got in a car accident. That's this Yank's greatest motivating factor. Otherwise I've got family to help me out with other issues.
Good points, but for me I don't have family to help me (as an ex-pat) so my biggest motivations are insurance (as you state) and - preservation of savings. For the first time ever in my 25 years here, in 2006 I quit my job without having another job to go to. Even though I have enough non-retirement savings for about 4 years of living expenses, I was not comfortable using them now because I worry about the longer-term employment picture (being in IT!). I found myself another job after 6 weeks. Turns out it's the best job I've ever had!
Old Jul 19th 2008, 11:05 pm
Riding on silver wings

ugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steerpike
Good points, but for me I don't have family to help me (as an ex-pat) so my biggest motivations are insurance (as you state) and - preservation of savings. For the first time ever in my 25 years here, in 2006 I quit my job without having another job to go to. Even though I have enough non-retirement savings for about 4 years of living expenses, I was not comfortable using them now because I worry about the longer-term employment picture (being in IT!). I found myself another job after 6 weeks. Turns out it's the best job I've ever had!
Yeah. It is sad though. Here in the land of milk and honey the fact remains that one can't afford to stay healthy nor be sick. It's a no win situation. When I am out of a job I do my best to find something that provides some semblance of 'permanency', read not contract work, however I will do contract work if it comes down to it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.