Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Land of opportunity...

Land of opportunity...

Old Jul 19th 2008, 11:11 pm
Forum Regular

Fonseca33 has much to be proud ofFonseca33 has much to be proud ofFonseca33 has much to be proud ofFonseca33 has much to be proud ofFonseca33 has much to be proud ofFonseca33 has much to be proud ofFonseca33 has much to be proud ofFonseca33 has much to be proud ofFonseca33 has much to be proud ofFonseca33 has much to be proud ofFonseca33 has much to be proud of
Default Re: Land of opportunity...

Originally Posted by Steerpike
I stated something similar in a response to another thread, but I think it's applicable here too. It's almost unfair to compare, say, UK, to the USA. If not unfair, then at least, not very meaningful. The USA should be compared to something more along the lines of Europe. In Europe, you have poor countries (eg, Portugal) and rich countries (eg, Germany), and the range is wide. Similarly, in the US, you have poor areas (eg, the Appalachians of West Virginia and Tennessee) and rich areas such as the Northeast and the cities of the West Coast.

The chronic state of healthcare in this country is a nationwide embarrassment, however, for those without insurance.
The UK is fair, because as a state, it would rank just below Alabama in terms of real GDP/capita, which is essentially a broad measure of economic activity. The whole US is above the UK ($46k vs. $35k), and many states that people consider poor (Alabama, Tenn., Georgia, South Carolina) are actually above the UK in this figure, which is pretty funny. Source: IMF APRIL 2008. For state stats, I have the BLS as a source. I have all the sources here if anybody needs it.

USA's poorest state is well above Portugal, and is actually right below Italy, in terms of GDP per capita (PPP).

Last edited by Fonseca33; Jul 19th 2008 at 11:26 pm.
Old Jul 19th 2008, 11:22 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
And that would be?

It's been a fairly valid discussion so far in the main in my opinion.
Oh honestly Bob, give it a rest. I've talked to Elvira privately.....whatever way she meant it, its a mute point now.
Old Jul 19th 2008, 11:47 pm
Professional Drama Queen

Songbird has a reputation beyond reputeSongbird has a reputation beyond reputeSongbird has a reputation beyond reputeSongbird has a reputation beyond reputeSongbird has a reputation beyond reputeSongbird has a reputation beyond reputeSongbird has a reputation beyond reputeSongbird has a reputation beyond reputeSongbird has a reputation beyond reputeSongbird has a reputation beyond reputeSongbird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AmerLisa
Maybe you should read the whole thread and not comment on the last post.
And why would you assume I haven't read the whole thread??? Would that be because I happen to question your implied motives of the OP?? Trust me Lisa I 'get' the point you were making - I just happen to disagree with it is all. This discussion is not only valid but also pertinent - as illustrated by the numerous contributions.
Old Jul 19th 2008, 11:54 pm
I approved this message

Hiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond repute

whatever way she meant it, its a mute point now.
Moot.

Also, I thought it was funny that everyone complained for about seven pages that people were just dismissing Elvira's post, complaining that anyone who doesn't want to get dragged into this debate (again) is "sticking their head in the sand".

Finally, someone (post 105) does respond with a well reasoned, fact-based response complete with links to entirely reputable sources of data that completely destroy the credibility of the original post and everyone completely ignores it. I guess people got the debate they pretended to want, but not from the correct viewpoint. Well done.
Old Jul 19th 2008, 11:55 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Songbird
And why would you assume I haven't read the whole thread??? Would that be because I happen to question your implied motives of the OP?? Trust me Lisa I 'get' the point you were making - I just happen to disagree with it is all. This discussion is not only valid but also pertinent - as illustrated by the numerous contributions.
Good, I'm really glad you got the point I was making. Then I don't need to go any further in discussing it.
Old Jul 19th 2008, 11:57 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Hiro11
Moot.

Also, I thought it was funny that everyone complained for about seven pages that people were just dismissing Elvira's post, complaining that anyone who doesn't want to get dragged into this debate (again) is "sticking their head in the sand".

Finally, someone (post 105) does respond with a well reasoned, fact-based response complete with links to entirely reputable sources of data that completely destroy the credibility of the original post and everyone completely ignores it. I guess people got the debate they pretended to want, but not from the correct viewpoint. Well done.
Mute in this case. Well a valid discussion means who can we roast next. Its only valid if it opens a can of worms and everyone jumps in and has an opinion. Serious discussion my a$$.
Old Jul 20th 2008, 12:03 am
Professional Drama Queen

Songbird has a reputation beyond reputeSongbird has a reputation beyond reputeSongbird has a reputation beyond reputeSongbird has a reputation beyond reputeSongbird has a reputation beyond reputeSongbird has a reputation beyond reputeSongbird has a reputation beyond reputeSongbird has a reputation beyond reputeSongbird has a reputation beyond reputeSongbird has a reputation beyond reputeSongbird has a reputation beyond repute

Good, I'm really glad you got the point I was making. Then I don't need to go any further in discussing it.
and I'm really glad you got my 'point' - hence no need to further discuss it, well that aspect of it anyways.
Old Jul 20th 2008, 12:09 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

and I'm really glad you got my 'point' - hence no need to further discuss it, well that aspect of it anyways.
I'm sorry your point isn't and wasn't taken. Is this what you and Bob are referring to as a valid discussion on a serious matter? Because I've not seen that yet.....
Old Jul 20th 2008, 12:22 am
Professional Drama Queen

I'm sorry your point isn't and wasn't taken. Is this what you and Bob are referring to as a valid discussion on a serious matter? Because I've not seen that yet.....
Your apology is accepted - in much the same vein it was proffered.

Really does it matter why the OP initiated this thread? Is that REALLY the issue?? Bottom line if it didn't raise valid points for discussion it would have died 10 pages back. The fact that it never AND discussion is ongoing on the ISSUES ( as opposed to this inane 'discussion') is evidence enough that some people regard it as important enough to discuss, and I for one am finding it interesting enough to take the time to read.
Old Jul 20th 2008, 12:24 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Your apology is accepted - in much the same vein it was proffered.

Really does it matter why the OP initiated this thread? Is that REALLY the issue?? Bottom line if it didn't raise valid points for discussion it would have died 10 pages back. The fact that it never AND discussion is ongoing on the ISSUES ( as opposed to this inane 'discussion') is evidence enough that some people regard it as important enough to discuss, and I for one am finding it interesting enough to take the time to read.
Oh for crying out loud - this has/was/is a mud slinging match. Very hardly any "valid" discussions on the original post. If it has helped anybody to read this whole thread - then I'm extremely happy for them Now lay off!
Old Jul 20th 2008, 12:25 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Come on you two please take this to PM.
Old Jul 20th 2008, 12:32 am
Professional Drama Queen

Oh for crying out loud - this has/was/is a mud slinging match. Very hardly any "valid" discussions on the original post. If it has helped anybody to read this whole thread - then I'm extremely happy for them Now lay off!
ohhhhh errrr... calm down, calm down!

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Come on you two please take this to PM.
Apols Jersey - no probs here - all quiet on the WV front
Old Jul 20th 2008, 1:33 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hiro11
Moot.

Here is post 105, for reference (so you don't have to go looking for it!

Not sure which facts are accurate (lies, damn lies, and statistics ...) but I will say that Elivira will post anything that portrays the US in a bad light because she's not happy here and seems to revel in 'proving' how bad it is! (DUCK!!!)
Old Jul 20th 2008, 1:40 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Tracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond repute

Not sure which facts are accurate (lies, damn lies, and statistics ...) but I will say that Elivira will post anything that portrays the US in a bad light because she's not happy here and seems to revel in 'proving' how bad it is! (DUCK!!!)
Well if she is unhappy here, then I sympathise with her.

Some times are difficult for ppl, I hope we'll give her a break here. Please.
Old Jul 20th 2008, 2:06 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Oh dear, you really must be careful of her friends.....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.