Wikiposts

Jesus Camp

Old Oct 8th 2006, 12:46 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Jesus Camp

Originally Posted by Sally
You don't do that?

Shshsh!!!
Old Oct 8th 2006, 12:47 pm

gruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bradford Lass
I'm not 'religous' and I don't fit in with the stereotype that is regularly parodied here. No one could deny me a belief, because its based on my own experience and not what someone told me.

Its interesting because I have rarely met people who have no belief at all and I find atheists as strange as I know, you find believers. Its a funny old world innit?
I'm not with you there BL, what parody?
I'm an Atheist and I have no belief at all, you're born, you live, you die. What you do with the live part is up to you, IMO.
Old Oct 8th 2006, 12:50 pm
Not dead yet

Thydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Elvira
Moreover, muslims believe that Jesus - although not divine - is a prophet.
It always makes me laugh that the Jews actually turned down a prophet how times change
Old Oct 8th 2006, 12:51 pm
Account Closed

Angry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Elvira
Hear, hear!

I would just like to add that, within the confines what you have outlined, religion can have validity and meaning for some people, and it would be churlish to either deny them the right to believe, or to ridicule said beliefs.
I dont care what someone else wants to beleive, thats their business. What I object to is when I'm told I cant be a good person because I dont follow their beliefs, and then have to face innumerable lectures about why I should "see the light".
Old Oct 8th 2006, 12:54 pm

Jaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gruffbrown
I'm not with you there BL, what parody?
I'm an Atheist and I have no belief at all, you're born, you live, you die. What you do with the live part is up to you, IMO.
I mean the bible bashing, non science believing ,Sunday Christians that help people form negative views of all people who believe in God. I guess I'm trying to say not everying fits in the same mold. Am watching the Island at the moment guess thats how it looks to people who dont belive -delusion.
Old Oct 8th 2006, 12:54 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Angry White Pyjamas
I dont care what someone else wants to beleive, thats their business. What I object to is when I'm told I cant be a good person because I dont follow their beliefs, and then have to face innumerable lectures about why I should "see the light".

I agree - this is what I meant in my next post
Old Oct 8th 2006, 1:04 pm

gruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bradford Lass
I mean the bible bashing, non science believing ,Sunday Christians that help people form negative views of all people who believe in God. I guess I'm trying to say not everying fits in the same mold. Am watching the Island at the moment guess thats how it looks to people who dont belive -delusion.
Not at all, because some people don't believe, it doesn't mean that 'we' think you're all bible bashing, tub thumpers. Everybody has their own belief, because you believe, it doesn't mean I'm going to put you in the same league as Fred Phelps.
The so called seperation of Church and State in this country is a joke under the current administration, and seems to be getting worse.
Old Oct 8th 2006, 1:18 pm

Did I break the golden rule of not talking Politics and Religion? ooops.
Old Oct 8th 2006, 2:08 pm
Account Closed

TouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really nice

Did I break the golden rule of not talking Politics and Religion? ooops.
You need Elvira's wooden rule now you know.
Old Oct 8th 2006, 2:15 pm
Homebody

Originally Posted by TouristTrap
You need Elvira's wooden rule now you know.

plastic...

has more bite
Old Oct 9th 2006, 6:25 am
Just Joined

kellogs is just really nicekellogs is just really nicekellogs is just really nicekellogs is just really nicekellogs is just really nicekellogs is just really nicekellogs is just really nicekellogs is just really nicekellogs is just really nicekellogs is just really nicekellogs is just really nice

"God" does not and cannot exist.

There are plenty of things we dont understand about the universe and it's workings, however to assume that there is some great and omnipotent power that LOOKS LIKE US and is there PURELY FOR OUR BENEFIT is, to my mind, irrational, delusional, and above all the epitomy of conceited arrogance.

In the universe the human race is nothing but a passing fad on the face of a ball of rock that is nothing but a speck of dust in the cosmos. And we have the utter audacity to think we are some kind of special case being looked after by some great and powerful being?

Religion in a creation of Man for the benefit of Man. You don't have to be religious to be a "Good" person and being religious does not automatically mean you are one.
k, i don't think Christians assume. I personally chose to believe. There's a difference. Especially if there are many reasons behind this choice. Secondly, where in the Bible does it say God looks like us? I am going to assume here that you are referring to the 'made in His image' part in which case I would have to correct you that this is made in His spiritual image. Neither does the Bible say that He is purely for our benefit. This is the view that NON CHRISTIANS tend to take and use Him only when they need Him. He, however, created us for HIS benefit - to use your word. Everything was and is created to glorify Him. Please make sure that you understand the basic beliefs of a faith before criticising to save looking ignorant.

It is my opinion, that those who are of the view that the human race is nothing but a passing fad derived from a ball of rock (what ground is this even based on??) is what's irrational and delusional.

People who know little of Christianity tend to refer to it as 'religion' lumping it into that wide and general box. This is very ignorant as each religion is very different and therefore that wouldn't necessarily be a logical or fair statement. However, Christianity - at least the Bible-believing kind, is more about having a relationship with God. To quote someone I forget the name of, 'religion = man seeking God. Christianity=God seeking man'. It's not about being a good person (am I right to assume you are strongly influenced by catholism, as your arguments tend to be based on what they believe) but about accepting that you can't be. See, the Bible emphasises that it's not being a good person that saves us - like nonchristians tend to think, it's about faith in Christ. When we die, God won't be asking you 'did you do this' 'did you do that' He'll be asking you, 'did you have faith in my Son whom I sent to die for you?'. That's all that's required. And if you reply, 'no but i gave to the poor everyday of my life' He will call these 'good works' filthy rags because you did them without belief. See Romans. Grace saves us, not anything we do. If there were anything WE could do, or some other way to get into Heaven, why do you think God had to send His Son to die? For no reason? So therefore, telling a Christian you don't need religion to be a good person is kind of irrelevant and only goes to show you hold the common misconception that this is what's important.
Old Oct 9th 2006, 6:28 am
Just Joined

kellogs is just really nicekellogs is just really nicekellogs is just really nicekellogs is just really nicekellogs is just really nicekellogs is just really nicekellogs is just really nicekellogs is just really nicekellogs is just really nicekellogs is just really nicekellogs is just really nice

Then your beef can't be with Christianity as Christianity holds the view that you can't be good by following a set of beliefs or doing anything specific.
Old Oct 9th 2006, 6:32 am
Just Joined

I assume you mean unmarried Christians?
Whoever HE was referring to is who i am referring to. He said he knows of people who slept together, became Christians and stopped sleeping together until they were married. I said THOSE people are doing so to make right what they did wrong.
Old Oct 9th 2006, 6:39 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by BritGuyTN
And the fact that religions tend to dicard other religions as not being 'the true religion' is also ridiculous

who has the right to say that cristiananity is one more valid than islam, et al?

comment i had from an ingnorant babtist friend of mine was

'who is this allah guy the muslims keep talking about' I explained to her that he was just as valid as her god, infact a lot more people worship him.

she looked at me as if I was barking mad and wondered whether she needed to call the religious police.

"And the fact that religions tend to dicard other religions as not being 'the true religion' is also ridiculous.
who has the right to say that cristiananity is one more valid than islam, et al? "

Really, I am so tired of this argument which says that only Christianity as a belief system does this. ALL TRUTH, by the definition of truth, EXCLUDES NON TRUTH. For example, does a Muslim say that Jesus is the son of God or that this is not true and that THEIR belief that He is NOT the son of God is what's true? How can they be so unfair to Christianity?! Why do they think they have the right to say they belief Christianity to be wrong? I'll tell you why, because they DO. Just like an atheist has the right to say that Christianity is wrong and that THEIR belief that there is NO God is what's right. If truth does not exclude, then it is merely an opinion. 2+2 excludes the fact that this equals 5.

I believe God exists. If I say that I believe atheists are wrong in their belief that He does not, I have exercised my rights and have not taken the atheists right to believe other ways away from them. People like you however, would love to take away MY right to say that I believe something to be true and therefore anything contrary to it to be false. If I can't say that I believe anything to be wrong, I can't say I believe anything to true. Have I made my point?

Can I ask you why, when you friend inquired simply as to who allah was, you attacked her? And secondly, I would love to know your reasons for stating his validity and it's equal measure to the Christian God heh but I won't even bother asking.

Ignorance is bliss.
Old Oct 9th 2006, 6:50 am
Just Joined

Angry White Pyjamas says that it's arrogant to say there is a God yet in the same post says: "God" does not and cannot exist. and then we have people on here talking about tolerance. It would be nice if a little of that could be applied to those who believe in God.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.