Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

I guess this is what they call 'homesickness'

I guess this is what they call 'homesickness'

Old Jun 13th 2007, 6:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I guess this is what they call 'homesickness'

Originally Posted by Deedee13
i dont get this .. how can u live in an apartment and not meet anyone.. dont anyone else live in the block but u lot?????? i thought being in a house would be more lonelier
The complex we live in is mostly occupied by residents who are out at work, or young families with children, so our interests are different. I have seen the same lady 3 times in the gym, but she doesn't speak English (I think she is Polish?) but we have exchanged smiles and hellos! That's about it. The complex threw a residents' breakfast on Sunday which we went to to try and make contacts, but as soon as we said we were moving in 2 weeks they lost interest!

Originally Posted by Leslie66
You're welcome. BE is a great place to come for some cyber company. I'm not ashamed to say that I have made some very real friends on this site and tons of what I would call "pals" or "acquaintances". It's been a life saver many times for me.

I hated to think of you lonely and sad in your new place. I go through that every time I move .... and I've only ever lived within the states (I'm American).

Just remember that it is sometimes difficult for Brits to make new friends in the US. Are you going to be attending school or looking for work any time soon?
I've made good friends from the internet too Leslie - so much so I married one of them!!

Yes, I intend to either attend further education and/or look for work, but will do that once we move. Not wishing my life away (it goes too damned quick as it is), but looking forward to the next 2 weeks to be over. THEN I can start making friends and plans. Bit difficult now.
Old Jun 13th 2007, 6:57 pm
Just Joined

Manti has much to be proud ofManti has much to be proud ofManti has much to be proud ofManti has much to be proud ofManti has much to be proud ofManti has much to be proud ofManti has much to be proud ofManti has much to be proud ofManti has much to be proud ofManti has much to be proud ofManti has much to be proud of

Mandana, I understand you so much!
It's really hard seriously, never knew that homesickness can be so strong and powerful with ur body and mind.
I'm trying to be active because sports helps (i even started jogging in the mornings).Also it helps me when i'm around ppl, maybe it's not a bad idea to
join some kind of club(soccer club or smth)?I don't know..
I also tend to think TOO much about things..it sux

I hope you (and me) will get better soon
Old Jun 13th 2007, 7:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Manti
Mandana, I understand you so much!
It's really hard seriously, never knew that homesickness can be so strong and powerful with ur body and mind.
I'm trying to be active because sports helps (i even started jogging in the mornings).Also it helps me when i'm around ppl, maybe it's not a bad idea to
join some kind of club(soccer club or smth)?I don't know..
I also tend to think TOO much about things..it sux

I hope you (and me) will get better soon
Sux .. I've learnt something new there! I kept spelling it sucks! (there was me thinking I was doing well with the 'turning native'!)

I'm a gregarious kinda gal (or so my Mum just told me on the phone lol) and do better when around others too, so like you will join groups or clubs or the like. The area we're going to live in have activities - like an Expat club and a wives social group - so that will help. Knowing me I'll end up taking on too much and be rushed off my feet! I love being so busy it's almost impossible to keep up - I thrive on it. So this sitting around lark is tough. Saying that, it's recharging batteries, so something good always comes out of something bad.

Whereabouts are you? No doubt you're too far away for a cuppa (or Starbucks) too?!
Old Jun 13th 2007, 7:16 pm
Just Joined

Manti has much to be proud ofManti has much to be proud ofManti has much to be proud ofManti has much to be proud ofManti has much to be proud ofManti has much to be proud ofManti has much to be proud ofManti has much to be proud ofManti has much to be proud ofManti has much to be proud ofManti has much to be proud of

I'm in Chicago..so yeah..i got to the point where i say hello to ppl who walk dogs
Old Jun 13th 2007, 7:45 pm
Who?

jumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Manti
I'm in Chicago..so yeah..i got to the point where i say hello to ppl who walk dogs
Listen....I'll have you know we dog walkers are great!!!
I have met a lots of friends because of dog walking so much so I think it's time I got a dog.

Seriously, I do have a dog and, as I have said before, without him I would have gone slowly mad here.
Old Jun 13th 2007, 8:19 pm
Just Joined

I know u, dog walkers are great, i was just indicating the level of my loneliness
I'd like to have a dog, but we live in the city and i work and i'd be sorry for the dog to be alone all day..
Old Jun 13th 2007, 8:28 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jumping doris
Listen....I'll have you know we dog walkers are great!!!
I have met a lots of friends because of dog walking so much so I think it's time I got a dog.

Seriously, I do have a dog and, as I have said before, without him I would have gone slowly mad here.
I'll drink to that ...they're not called 'Man's best friend' for nowt tha knows.
Old Jun 13th 2007, 8:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

Just had a session in the gym and feel much better for it. Hate to admit that I can see why people get addicted to exercise!

Maybe I should start going everyday ..
Old Jun 13th 2007, 8:43 pm
Just Joined

Great idea!It helps to keep ur mind away from sad thoughts.
I'm starting ice skating next week
And also it's important to get your own routine here.
Old Jun 13th 2007, 8:48 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mandana
Just had a session in the gym and feel much better for it. Hate to admit that I can see why people get addicted to exercise!

Maybe I should start going everyday ..
You do? I just feel knackered.
Old Jun 13th 2007, 8:50 pm
Who?

jumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
So do I. I have to really psyche myself up to go and any excuse and I don't go.
Old Jun 13th 2007, 8:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Well yeah, that too! But better for getting out and about and off my arse!

Picture in your mind Bridget Jones in the first movie when she went nuts on the exercise bike then went to get off.

That's me!

(mind you, I managed to double my time on the treadmill today from last week, and got the level up to incline 10)
Old Jun 13th 2007, 9:34 pm
Account Closed

TouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really nice

Well yeah, that too! But better for getting out and about and off my arse!

Picture in your mind Bridget Jones in the first movie when she went nuts on the exercise bike then went to get off.

That's me!

(mind you, I managed to double my time on the treadmill today from last week, and got the level up to incline 10)
Good on you! I remember the first time I went back to gym. Tried the Stairmaster and felt a real nilly because I could only do about 15 mins on it!!

Felt so bad. I have always been sporty - played just about every sport under the sun, but let that side of my life go. Feel so much better now!
Old Jun 13th 2007, 9:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Deedee13
no he aint.. he is taking u because he wants to go to a baseball game REFER TO MAKING HIS COFFEE IN A MORNING AND APPLE PIE AND ICECREAM!!!

DONT FORget to buy the tshirt and the cappy!!!
DeeDee .. Mr Mandana is home now (they finish really early here!) ready for the off to the game.

Haven't the heart to ask him if it was for him booking the tickets!

What would you have liked (we eat out most nights, so that's not really 'special' or a treat right now)
Old Jun 13th 2007, 10:15 pm
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

I've made good friends from the internet too Leslie - so much so I married one of them!!

Yes, I intend to either attend further education and/or look for work, but will do that once we move. Not wishing my life away (it goes too damned quick as it is), but looking forward to the next 2 weeks to be over. THEN I can start making friends and plans. Bit difficult now.

I understand completely. You'll start meeting people when you get out and start circulating more. Until then you can just abuse us.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.