Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

I guess this is what they call 'homesickness'

I guess this is what they call 'homesickness'

Old Jun 13th 2007, 2:06 am
BE Enthusiast

Mandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond repute
Default I guess this is what they call 'homesickness'

Down in the dumps. Tears not more than a blink away. Feeling like I'm alone with no friends or familiar places to visit.

A bit sorry for myself today
Old Jun 13th 2007, 2:12 am
BE Forum Addict

birdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I guess this is what they call 'homesickness'

Originally Posted by Mandana
Down in the dumps. Tears not more than a blink away. Feeling like I'm alone with no friends or familiar places to visit.

Ahhh where r you?

How long you benn where you are?

A hug to you
xx
Old Jun 13th 2007, 2:19 am
Banned

roadwarrior will become famous soon enough

you know that the first settlers to the USA brought with them toothpicks, gowns for dancing and proper clothes. they eventually ended up eating one another in jamestown. you'll be ok. dwell and celebrate your solitude and isolation.
Old Jun 13th 2007, 2:20 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

You've only been here a couple of weeks...you should be still in the 'honeymoon period'. Reality usually sets in after about 3 months.

Most of us have been there...if it's any consolation. At least you have BE...you can always come on here for a chat and a laugh. Not to mention advice...whether you want it or not.
Old Jun 13th 2007, 2:32 am
BE Enthusiast

Mandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by birdynumnum
Ahhh where r you?

How long you benn where you are?

A hug to you
xx

Thanks

We're in Houston - arrived 3 weeks ago.

Thanks for the hug
Old Jun 13th 2007, 2:35 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by roadwarrior
you know that the first settlers to the USA brought with them toothpicks, gowns for dancing and proper clothes. they eventually ended up eating one another in jamestown. you'll be ok. dwell and celebrate your solitude and isolation.
Feel much better after reading that! Not! No intention of eating my DH .. actually, nah .. won't go there

Dwell and celebrate my solitude and isolation? That's why I'm down FFS! I'm not doing 'forced' solitude too well ATM!
Old Jun 13th 2007, 2:37 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
You've only been here a couple of weeks...you should be still in the 'honeymoon period'. Reality usually sets in after about 3 months.
Maybe I should be in the honeymoon period, but I'm not! I guess it's the being on my own in limbo before the permanent move.

Sorry .. I know I should be this, that or the other. But today I'm having a down day.

That's all
Old Jun 13th 2007, 2:39 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe I should be in the honeymoon period, but I'm not! I guess it's the being on my own in limbo before the permanent move.

Sorry .. I know I should be this, that or the other. But today I'm having a down day.

That's all
You'll be OK...you've got us to vent to...we've all been there and got the tee shirt.
Old Jun 13th 2007, 2:48 am
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute

That's all
Don't worry, its only natural for homesickness to kick in. For some the first few weeks and months it's all exciting and new, and for others its strange and scary. I was homesick the minute I got off the plane so you are not the only one

Just go with the flow have a good cry and I promise it will get easier.

Here's a big cyberhug {{{{{{{{}}}}}}}}}
Old Jun 13th 2007, 2:54 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Sue
Don't worry, its only natural for homesickness to kick in. For some the first few weeks and months it's all exciting and new, and for others its strange and scary. I was homesick the minute I got off the plane so you are not the only one

Just go with the flow have a good cry and I promise it will get easier.

Here's a big cyberhug {{{{{{{{}}}}}}}}}
Thanks Sue, appreciate your post.

The night before leaving and the morning itself I think it all hit home and couldn't stop crying. Sobbed myself to sleep that night, and pretty much all the way to the airport.

Have been fine most of the time, but a good few days is then followed by a right downer. Glad to hear I'm not the only one!

Finding little things my OH says and does irritating, which is also upsetting me. Perhaps it's because he doesn't understand how I'm feeling (has good lip-service, but comments he makes shows he doesn't really get it) is the underlying reason why I'm niggled.

Sleeping tablets tonight will probably help. I'm always worse when I'm over-tired
Old Jun 13th 2007, 2:57 am
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Sleeping tablets tonight will probably help. I'm always worse when I'm over-tired
Eat a packet of HobNob and have a pot of tea with it ...
it cures all.......
Old Jun 13th 2007, 3:02 am
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Finding little things my OH says and does irritating, which is also upsetting me. Perhaps it's because he doesn't understand how I'm feeling (has good lip-service, but comments he makes shows he doesn't really get it) is the underlying reason why I'm niggled.
Sometimes a partner really *can't* understand what you're feeling, especially if they aren't experiencing that same feeling. He may never have the same levels of homesickness; it's less common for men to have them (or to admit to it anyway) and he's got the distraction of a job to go to. He's also been here longer.

I see a lot of this going on especially in the Oz forums (though not just there). Some couples move there with the wife staying at home with the kids at least temporarily even if she's worked in the UK.... and the loneliness combined with the homesickness hits very hard. I think the fact that you're not "trapped" with kids at home, and that you're younger than the average immigrant, will help with a lot of this. Also remember that you're a lot closer to home if you want to go back for a visit! One thing to save for is a fund to make sure you always have enough money to make a trip home in case of emergencies or when you just can't live any longer without a trip to Marks and Sparks (or Boots, or your fave curry house or chippy or whatever).

Hang in there.... it's a rollercoaster.... and it doesn't help that it's so HOT here right now.

Amy.
Old Jun 13th 2007, 3:05 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Thanks Sue, appreciate your post.

The night before leaving and the morning itself I think it all hit home and couldn't stop crying. Sobbed myself to sleep that night, and pretty much all the way to the airport.

Have been fine most of the time, but a good few days is then followed by a right downer. Glad to hear I'm not the only one!

I think you'll feel better once you move into your own home.
Old Jun 13th 2007, 3:15 am
British New Yorker

veronica jayne has a reputation beyond reputeveronica jayne has a reputation beyond reputeveronica jayne has a reputation beyond reputeveronica jayne has a reputation beyond reputeveronica jayne has a reputation beyond reputeveronica jayne has a reputation beyond reputeveronica jayne has a reputation beyond reputeveronica jayne has a reputation beyond reputeveronica jayne has a reputation beyond reputeveronica jayne has a reputation beyond reputeveronica jayne has a reputation beyond repute

Homesickness comes and goes but knowing you can be home in mere hours if you need it always helps,

(((((((HUG)))))))
Old Jun 13th 2007, 3:54 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Chin up...there's always the vodka to make you merry

But aye, it's crap when you feel down, but keep yourself busy, and use the phone, can do wonders

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.