Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

I guess this is what they call 'homesickness'

I guess this is what they call 'homesickness'

Old Jun 14th 2007, 4:03 pm
who turned out the light?

Irn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I guess this is what they call 'homesickness'

Originally Posted by jumping doris
You just have to hit the ground running.
I felt very out of sync with everything. There is lots of stuff going on here but everyone just knows about it and we found out when it was over. We always seemed to be a step behind.

We met so many new people I couldn't remember them but they all remembered us. I felt like I always had to be smiling and I got sick to death of explaining why we were here.
And the killer question "Do you love it here" as though it is the best and only place any sane person would want to live.

I used to have to grit my teeth and when I felt really bad my OH would quickly jump in before I could say anything too damning
But it has got much better and I enjoy things here, we have stuff to look forward to, I feel more at home. It is beginning to seem like the big adventure we hoped it would be.
I still miss the UK and when my Good Food mag arrives I feel very nostalgic for Tescos etc.
Photos of home still unsettle me. But this is where I am today and so I might just as well enjoy it.
I just go to borders etc and read my good food mag for free there while having a coffee, I take my pen and a pad as well for any recipes..cheap skate that I am
Old Jun 14th 2007, 4:04 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Irn-bru
Only some will allow you, or charge you for the privilege of doing so.

At the minute though its not finances that have me but at the minute I'm not covered by medical insurance as the company keeps saying I haven't sent them certain documents, which I have.
And have told me I'm still not covered so hunted for my last post office receipt for proof of posting and delivery, but they still say they don't have it etc.
I know it will get sorted in the end but I just seem to permanently deal with idiots. Must take one to know one

My OH was helpful as he said just don't get sick till you get it sorted

For the banking: I think you are confused. Companies can charge you if you pay a bill by credit card, but they cannot charge you if you pay via internet banking. Go see your banking representative if necessary.

As for the healthcare: this is scary. I got the impression that you have been here for a while - this should not take more than a couple of weeks - months at the most - to sort out. Have you involved your husband's HR department?

Otherwise do what everyone else here does - threaten to sue...
Old Jun 14th 2007, 4:11 pm

Irn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Elvira
Ha!!! How many times have I heard that! It seems incredible - companies moving/headhunting people from across the globe and then simply leaving them to it...

Basically don't expect anything, and you won't be disappointed.
Yes, this time absolutely nothing, didn't expect it though.

But last time RR sent loads to Indy, there was a company there they hired to help us. On our week look around each family had one person to drive them around and do what you wanted..help with schools, aparts an such..they were brilliant.

Also when we arrived for 2 months I think it was, every week we went to a classroom where they told us things and helped you out, (from shops to law etc) we were all from the same company so it was great.
It was there I first learned about reverse culture shock, which I thought was weird until I experienced it and was grateful to remember what they said (on the home page here they have an excellent article as well).

RR stopped doing it when we were there, so glad I got it!
Old Jun 14th 2007, 4:25 pm

For the banking: I think you are confused. Companies can charge you if you pay a bill by credit card, but they cannot charge you if you pay via internet banking. Go see your banking representative if necessary.

As for the healthcare: this is scary. I got the impression that you have been here for a while - this should not take more than a couple of weeks - months at the most - to sort out. Have you involved your husband's HR department?

Otherwise do what everyone else here does - threaten to sue...
It was my OH HR department that I first heard about it, so they tell me what is needed for the insurance but I have to send it direct. This is the 3rd time I've sent it, glad I payed top insurance this last time to prove 'I sent it and they received it'..still waiting from them as they say they never received it.
Know with proof of posting I can prove I sent it in timeframe but I seriously hope I don't get hit by a bus till its sorted! Its just all the back and forth, and trying to speak to the right person etc, just annoying

Re the online thing, it was property taxes on the house, 6 month chunks, and I think its $50+ if you pay electronically so I send them a check. I know you can do it through mortgage, but OH said no, something to do with either paying for it in future when you don't need to or getting interest and saving up monthly for it, which I do.

And trying to remember when payments come out so there is enough money in the account..I just hate maths and finances
Old Jun 14th 2007, 4:29 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

It was my OH HR department that I first heard about it, so they tell me what is needed for the insurance but I have to send it direct. This is the 3rd time I've sent it, glad I payed top insurance this last time to prove 'I sent it and they received it'..still waiting from them as they say they never received it.
Know with proof of posting I can prove I sent it in timeframe but I seriously hope I don't get hit by a bus till its sorted! Its just all the back and forth, and trying to speak to the right person etc, just annoying

Re the online thing, it was property taxes on the house, 6 month chunks, and I think its $50+ if you pay electronically so I send them a check. I know you can do it through mortgage, but OH said no, something to do with either paying for it in future when you don't need to or getting interest and saving up monthly for it, which I do.

And trying to remember when payments come out so there is enough money in the account..I just hate maths and finances
HR may tell you that you have to send it direct to the insurance company, but if they drop the ball they are obligated to step in and help you. Go into their office and start out ever so polite and English, I mean Scottish, and escalate as necessary.

I think it is utterly ludicrous that your husband is entitled to health benefits for the both of you and yet you are not covered! (I'm sure his employers realise that you would sue them till kingdom come if you had a major medical need and the insurance company refused to pay - but it you may have to remind them of this...O

As for remembering the payments: doesn't your bank offer a reminder-by-email service? If not, it may be time to switch banks...
Old Jun 14th 2007, 5:06 pm

HR may tell you that you have to send it direct to the insurance company, but if they drop the ball they are obligated to step in and help you. Go into their office and start out ever so polite and English, I mean Scottish, and escalate as necessary.

I think it is utterly ludicrous that your husband is entitled to health benefits for the both of you and yet you are not covered! (I'm sure his employers realise that you would sue them till kingdom come if you had a major medical need and the insurance company refused to pay - but it you may have to remind them of this...O

As for remembering the payments: doesn't your bank offer a reminder-by-email service? If not, it may be time to switch banks...
I'm saying its my OH HR department, thats not really the case his employers hire an agency to deal with all health insurance etc (its all the same to me )

Recently they decided they wanted to check that employees spouse, and dependents, are who they say they are. And OH has to sign a document saying I am not working and have other medical insurance (what that has to do with anything I don't know). It is this form that the agency says they don't have, and says I'm not covered till they get it and a few other documents with it.

As this to me is nothing to do with insurance but bureaucracy of OH company agency, its got me mad.

I have left the matter in my OH as of this morning so he can sort it out.

sorry to go on, but maybe situation is clear now, should have said it all at the beginning

Thanks for that tip, re banks It was just the first few months of settling down after buying a home, seeing what unexpected things you have to pay for etc. And making sure we have enough money in the account, paying of credit cards etc and things are a bit tight as we have to send so much money home to the UK every month and the exchange is killing us.

If you are awake after all that dribble, I'm impressed
Old Jun 14th 2007, 5:51 pm
Homebody

.........If you are awake after all that dribble, I'm impressed
If there is anything that keeps me awake it's the thought of people being without health insurance!! :curse:

I've just recently found out that a friend of mine has been without insurance since she got divorced a couple of years ago......... tales like that scare me shitless!!
Old Jun 14th 2007, 6:01 pm

If there is anything that keeps me awake it's the thought of people being without health insurance!! :curse:

I've just recently found out that a friend of mine has been without insurance since she got divorced a couple of years ago......... tales like that scare me shitless!!
Thats sad and when you go through divorce I guess insurance is the last thing on your mind

I don't understand the company as what if I did work for walmart or another company that doesn't have good health insurance would that mean my OH employers would cease to cover me

Oh for the days you just turned up at the doc and if referred just had to take the piece of paper/letter they gave you to the hospital. No worries or hassle.

Anything that requires paperwork, bureaucracy, etc is a no go in my book and that is apart from the insurance payment, and whatever else angle there is!

And its me that brought up healthcare this time sorry about that!
Old Jun 14th 2007, 6:02 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Good to know I can keep you awake
Old Jun 14th 2007, 6:03 pm
Homebody

...I don't understand the company as what if I did work for walmart or another company that doesn't have good health insurance would that mean my OH employers would cease to cover me
As long as you can prove that you are not entitled to cover from another insurer, they must cover you.

Does it surprise you that 1/3 of 'healthcare' expenditure in the US is for 'administration'...
Old Jun 14th 2007, 6:06 pm
Homebody

Originally Posted by Ray

Seriously, though, whilst I don't actually stay awake thinking of you , I do worry about you...
Old Jun 14th 2007, 6:08 pm

As long as you can prove that you are not entitled to cover from another insurer, they must cover you.

Does it surprise you that 1/3 of 'healthcare' expenditure in the US is for 'administration'...
Thanks for that.

And it doesn't surprise me one bit sad yes!

I do wish the US had NHS style of medicine etc, just normally don't say it or get into it as it just goes round in circles or gets contentious and no one in govt yet looks like they will implement it.
Old Jun 14th 2007, 6:11 pm

Originally Posted by Ray
I think about you on occasion reading your blog and knowing your health isn't getting better. BTW you never replied to my pm

But I suppose you feel if you can't get any etc whats the use of worrying about it? Which I understand, if thats the case.
Do hope you keep well.
Old Jun 14th 2007, 6:13 pm
Homebody

Thanks for that.

And it doesn't surprise me one bit sad yes!

I do wish the US had NHS style of medicine etc, just normally don't say it or get into it as it just goes round in circles or gets contentious and no one in govt yet looks like they will implement it.
Until the doctors start pushing for it, the insurance companies will continue to throw every kind of spanner into the works. But since doctors are getting increasingly fed up with the current state of affairs, I predict a fundamental change within about 10 years or so. It is more likely to be along the French or German model than the NHS, though, since 'socialized' medicine is just too exotic for US tastes.
Old Jun 14th 2007, 6:19 pm

Until the doctors start pushing for it, the insurance companies will continue to throw every kind of spanner into the works. But since doctors are getting increasingly fed up with the current state of affairs, I predict a fundamental change within about 10 years or so. It is more likely to be along the French or German model than the NHS, though, since 'socialized' medicine is just too exotic for US tastes.
FMI only if you don't want to get into a debate with everyone
What is the French or German model and is that what they mean when they say 'socialised' medicine - us? And when 'they' say it doesn't work, what do they mean.

(I know the NHS has many problems or can improve and I am with others that want to fight for it to constantly improve etc but like the system)

sorry OP know I'm hijacking your thread won't be for long hopefully and will get back on track

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.