Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

I got asked.....

I got asked.....

Old May 3rd 2010, 4:10 pm
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I got asked.....

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
In that instance, 'Irish' would be used in the same way as 'English', 'Scottish' or 'Welsh', even though they were all British citizens, as all of Ireland was part of the UK.

Since the partition of Ireland in 1921, 'Irish' would be used to describe those from the newly formed Republic of Ireland (think it was known as the Irish Free State back then) and those in the 6 counties had no official title, so I guess British is the only correct term to use.

Out of interest, where in NI did your Great Grandfather hail from? I think if I take it one or two generations before that 90% of my family on both sides were in Scotland/England funny enough. According to my mum, there were no Barrs (her line) in any part of Ireland until the plantation of Ulster in the 18th century.

My wife thinks it's funny that her mother's family line were in the Londonderry area in the 12th century, so she has more Northern Ireland roots than I do

Sorry - off topic there, but I do love history/genealogy!
Will take to PM ,
Old May 3rd 2010, 5:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

shazza777 is a splendid one to beholdshazza777 is a splendid one to beholdshazza777 is a splendid one to beholdshazza777 is a splendid one to beholdshazza777 is a splendid one to beholdshazza777 is a splendid one to beholdshazza777 is a splendid one to beholdshazza777 is a splendid one to beholdshazza777 is a splendid one to beholdshazza777 is a splendid one to beholdshazza777 is a splendid one to behold

I went to my 16 year old daughters conference at school and met her chemistry teacher.{my daughter has been at the school for 2 years} The teacher asked if i came from the same country as my daughter and do i speak English I explained where we came from and that i do indeed speak English, she then asked me if i speak fluent English!
Old May 3rd 2010, 5:24 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by shazza777
I went to my 16 year old daughters conference at school and met her chemistry teacher.{my daughter has been at the school for 2 years} The teacher asked if i came from the same country as my daughter and do i speak English I explained where we came from and that i do indeed speak English, she then asked me if i speak fluent English!
My stepson has his biological father's last name (Hernandez). You have no idea how many times the school will address me, face to face, as Mr Hernandez!

Of course, with my Belfast(ish) accent and red highlights in my beard, I'm a dead giveway as a Hernandez
Old May 3rd 2010, 8:33 pm
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
You live in western mass, come on, you must have gotten that? At the very least asking you if you were something other than welsh?

For some reason, English, that's the last thing that is often asked, it's usually as you Aus/SA when asked, which is a little off the mark.
I swear to god - other than one instance of a nice woman at the AAA call centre telling me I have a nice accent (and me telling her that she did too - which confused the hell out of her) then I've had no questions, comments or reactions. I think that maybe I'm a bit scary....
Old May 3rd 2010, 8:48 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tonrob
I swear to god - other than one instance of a nice woman at the AAA call centre telling me I have a nice accent (and me telling her that she did too - which confused the hell out of her) then I've had no questions, comments or reactions. I think that maybe I'm a bit scary....

It's the sprouts, it probably puts them off the conversation
Old May 3rd 2010, 10:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

PepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond repute

I love telling ameircans that i like their accents, most of the time they say "i dont have an accent" followed by me trying to explain that yes they do, they have an american accent, sometimes they just kinda nod and smile, others look confused and the occasional few say "but i speak english"
Old May 3rd 2010, 11:37 pm
Forum Regular

oldskool has much to be proud ofoldskool has much to be proud ofoldskool has much to be proud ofoldskool has much to be proud ofoldskool has much to be proud ofoldskool has much to be proud ofoldskool has much to be proud ofoldskool has much to be proud ofoldskool has much to be proud ofoldskool has much to be proud ofoldskool has much to be proud of

Someone recently asked me where I was from (because of the accent) and I said 'I'm English'.

Her response was 'oh no that's not what I meant, where do you really come from?..many people speak English you know'.
Old May 3rd 2010, 11:45 pm
Forum Regular

oldskool has much to be proud ofoldskool has much to be proud ofoldskool has much to be proud ofoldskool has much to be proud ofoldskool has much to be proud ofoldskool has much to be proud ofoldskool has much to be proud ofoldskool has much to be proud ofoldskool has much to be proud ofoldskool has much to be proud ofoldskool has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by shazza777
Another one...I called the bank and was put through to a call center in what must have been a non-English speaking country (as they often are nowadays). The person on the other end didn't speak the best of English but that generally wasn't the problem, it was the accent (indian I think) I had a hard time understanding them - I felt it was best to just fess up, explain the difficulty and ask to speak with someone else.

I think the operator was offended by this - all of a sudden they said to me in an angry tone 'I can't tell what you are saying either, you really don't speak English that well do you...if you're going to live in a foreign country you really should learn to speak the language there'.

I'm English, living in USA.
Old May 4th 2010, 12:28 am
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by oldskool
Another one...I called the bank and was put through to a call center in what must have been a non-English speaking country (as they often are nowadays). The person on the other end didn't speak the best of English but that generally wasn't the problem, it was the accent (indian I think) I had a hard time understanding them - I felt it was best to just fess up, explain the difficulty and ask to speak with someone else.

I think the operator was offended by this - all of a sudden they said to me in an angry tone 'I can't tell what you are saying either, you really don't speak English that well do you...if you're going to live in a foreign country you really should learn to speak the language there'.

I'm English, living in USA.

I had a guy in a call center in India keep trying to give me and 0800 number for me to call and I kept telling him I'm the USA not UK the accent was throwing him off. He finally got it and had a good laugh.
Old May 4th 2010, 1:04 am
BE Enthusiast

taffie77 has much to be proud oftaffie77 has much to be proud oftaffie77 has much to be proud oftaffie77 has much to be proud oftaffie77 has much to be proud oftaffie77 has much to be proud oftaffie77 has much to be proud oftaffie77 has much to be proud oftaffie77 has much to be proud oftaffie77 has much to be proud oftaffie77 has much to be proud of

I've been here 3 weeks, and so far have been asked if I am from New Zealand or Irish. At least the guy who thought I sounded Irish said 'Oh, close' when I replied that I was Welsh, rather than looking completely confused
Old May 4th 2010, 2:48 am

penguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tonrob
Jesus Christ - where do you people live???
Manhattan.
Old May 4th 2010, 2:50 am

penguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond repute

Where there are way too many illegals who can't be bothered to learn to speak English.
Old May 4th 2010, 11:27 am
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by penguinbar
Manhattan.
Yes, I know where you live*. I was being funny.

*He said in a non-creepy-stalkery kind of way.
Old May 4th 2010, 12:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

shazza777 is a splendid one to beholdshazza777 is a splendid one to beholdshazza777 is a splendid one to beholdshazza777 is a splendid one to beholdshazza777 is a splendid one to beholdshazza777 is a splendid one to beholdshazza777 is a splendid one to beholdshazza777 is a splendid one to beholdshazza777 is a splendid one to beholdshazza777 is a splendid one to beholdshazza777 is a splendid one to behold

Before learning to drive i used to ride the HOP bus, one middle aged woman started to talk to me and asked me the following.........

''How do you say 'no' in your language''
Old May 4th 2010, 12:17 pm
Just Joined

oldmanriver will become famous soon enough

i had a young girl cutting my hair in a mall in Birmingham, AL.

'where you from ?'
'Glasgow, Scotland'
'oh, thats where my family comes from'
'really, where abouts ?'
'where shakespeare came from, sherwood castle or something...'

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.