Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

I got asked.....

I got asked.....

Old Aug 15th 2010, 3:56 pm
Forum Regular

MadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I got asked.....

Originally Posted by ionaskye
It is always strange to me when i am in Scotland and no-one asks me where I am from.................if nothing else it is a great conversation starter

LOL! When I was back in Scotland in May my friends were worried in case I was going to be talking in an American accent...I only left Scotland in March!!!

In saying that, over here I do sometimes use a fake American accent, if I really can't be bothered with the whole 'where are you from?' thing, or if I have to give my name, as even though I share a name with a famous American politician, they can't understand me saying it in my Scottish accent! (And they can never spell it correctly either!)
Old Aug 15th 2010, 4:47 pm
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MadRad
LOL! When I was back in Scotland in May my friends were worried in case I was going to be talking in an American accent...I only left Scotland in March!!!

In saying that, over here I do sometimes use a fake American accent, if I really can't be bothered with the whole 'where are you from?' thing, or if I have to give my name, as even though I share a name with a famous American politician, they can't understand me saying it in my Scottish accent! (And they can never spell it correctly either!)
Well Obama is best said in an Irish brogue I think.
Old Aug 15th 2010, 4:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

Brit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cindyabs
Beignets oh yes please!!! Cafe du Monde would be great but right now would settle for Huey's on the River here in Savannah. Sitting there in the bar area EARLY before the tourists are stirring, watching the BIG boats come down the river and going under the bridge.
The riverfront in Savannah is definitely worth a visit or two. This is what she means by the BIG boats (ships):
Attached Thumbnails I got asked.....-savannah-11.jpg  
Old Aug 15th 2010, 5:25 pm
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Brit3964
The riverfront in Savannah is definitely worth a visit or two. This is what she means by the BIG boats (ships):
Yup, DH was in shipping for 30 years-CGM, Maersk, CP, OTAL in Birmingham and finally, now that he's out of it, he actually gets to see the ships here,
Old Aug 18th 2010, 9:23 am
Bulldawgy dawg

Location: Currently living in Medway, Kent UK. Hoping to be living in the Tr-Cities, Washington state, USA
Master_Bulldog is just really niceMaster_Bulldog is just really niceMaster_Bulldog is just really niceMaster_Bulldog is just really niceMaster_Bulldog is just really niceMaster_Bulldog is just really niceMaster_Bulldog is just really niceMaster_Bulldog is just really niceMaster_Bulldog is just really niceMaster_Bulldog is just really nice

Originally Posted by cindyabs
Yup, DH was in shipping for 30 years-CGM, Maersk, CP, OTAL in Birmingham and finally, now that he's out of it, he actually gets to see the ships here,
I'm teaching my American girlfriend some Essex lingo...could be handy for secretive conversations! LOL

And the Americans are not the only ones who get confused about accents. I was once TOLD by a bunch of kids in south Wales I was a Cockney! I insisted I wasn't but they didn't believe me!

Once I was chatting to a lady from Georgia and when she discovered I lived in England she was like "Hey! Do you know my uncle Jack? He's the one that lives by the coast!" I just walked away shaking my head...

And it's kind of weird. In Reno everyone wanted to know where I was from and made a right old fuss about me being English yet in the Tri-cities in WA...nobody gave a damn...lovely!