Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

I got asked.....

I got asked.....

Old May 1st 2010, 7:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

PepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond repute
Default I got asked.....

If British people speak English as well as British?

If your from Britain does it make you a "real" British person?

If a British person is married to an American, will it turn the American into a Brit?

Is Britain near England?

Can island Britain is on float around and visit other countries?

and a more common question:

Will your baby talk with a british accent when its born?

Im not even joking about these questions, a girl I work with asked them. She was deadly serious about each question.
Old May 1st 2010, 7:58 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I got asked.....

Originally Posted by PepsiChic
Im not even joking about these questions, a girl I work with asked them. She was deadly serious about each question.
One duff question is allowed as a joke gone wrong, that many, deserves to be slapped in the face with a wet kipper

Least you've not been asked if you knew the Queen though
Old May 1st 2010, 8:07 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

That's the next question, Bob. Or if she ever met up with Chuck at a pub.
Old May 1st 2010, 8:11 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

If British people speak English as well as British?
Did you ask her if she meant with or without an accent?

I'm sure there are lots of people living and working in Britian that are not British.

If a British person is married to an American, will it turn the American into a Brit?
Just like lots of people ask why does your spouse have to immigrate because doesn't the marriage to a USC make them a USC? Ignorance of a country's immigration laws is common worldwide.

Is Britain near England?
Well then pick one name for Britian. Is it the United Kingdom, England, Britian?

I have no response for this but DUH!

and a more common question:

Will your baby talk with a british accent when its born?
Yup if the infant only associates with their mother who speaks with an accent then the infant will acquire that accent when learning to speak.

Old May 1st 2010, 8:15 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete

Well then pick one name for Britian. Is it the United Kingdom, England, Britian?
They're different things though....it's a bit like America, United States of America and North America...
Old May 1st 2010, 9:09 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

I'm no grammar expert but is this your mistake or hers? People in glass houses ...

Originally Posted by Bob
They're different things though....it's a bit like America, United States of America and North America...
And I for one cannot tell you EXACTLY what the difference between UK and Great Britain is. And I really, really, really don't give a sh*t either! I use Britain, Great Britain, and UK interchangeably.
Old May 1st 2010, 9:19 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by Steerpike

And I for one cannot tell you EXACTLY what the difference between UK and Great Britain is. And I really, really, really don't give a sh*t either! I use Britain, Great Britain, and UK interchangeably.
Difference is if you include the knobbly bit that's Northern Ireland or not, that makes the UK, other wise it's Britain and the Great is to differentiate from Little, the frog isles.
Old May 1st 2010, 9:21 pm
Taunton, Somerset to PA

mikehope has much to be proud ofmikehope has much to be proud ofmikehope has much to be proud ofmikehope has much to be proud ofmikehope has much to be proud ofmikehope has much to be proud ofmikehope has much to be proud ofmikehope has much to be proud ofmikehope has much to be proud ofmikehope has much to be proud ofmikehope has much to be proud of

I have been asked:
If our baby will have my accent.
If I know the queen.
Is England in London?
Despite telling someone many times that im English she asked what part of Ireland I was from.
My favorite one is someone who told me she was English, I asked her how long she had lived here as she had a US accent, turns out it was her Great grandfather was from England.
Some one told me they were half English, half German, half Scottish and half polish?

Last edited by mikehope; May 1st 2010 at 9:27 pm.
Old May 1st 2010, 10:15 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mikehope
I have been asked:

Some one told me they were half English, half German, half Scottish and half polish?

Maybe two of the halves were her evil twin
Old May 1st 2010, 10:24 pm
Busy at Work

lifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of light

Did you meet this girl in Missouri? There are some pretty amazing people in the Midwest, even though the ignorance's not confined to one area only
Old May 1st 2010, 10:41 pm

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

When I was having dinner as a guest at one of the Inns of Court in London someone asked me, in all seriousness, whether Baywatch was a realistic portrayal of Southern California.
Old May 1st 2010, 10:45 pm

chartreuse is an unknown quantity at this point

She may have got that question from C-SPAN:

Old May 1st 2010, 10:57 pm
Busy at Work

lifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by penguinsix
When I was having dinner as a guest at one of the Inns of Court in London someone asked me, in all seriousness, whether Baywatch was a realistic portrayal of Southern California.
Of course it is, just like Lost is an accurate portrayal of the Island of Oahu in Hawaii...

Originally Posted by chartreuse
She may have got that question from C-SPAN:
Hank Johnson was either having a brain fart, a stroke, or he's just not the most intelligent person around. Your Pick

Last edited by lifehouse51; May 1st 2010 at 11:02 pm.
Old May 1st 2010, 11:47 pm

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute

I was at a Garage sale today and the young daughter of the family holding the sale asked me if I was from Poland because I sounded like a neighbour they had
Thats the 12th time this week I have been asked "Where are you from", I keep a running count just for my own boredom in my mileage book in the car I just put a check mark in there next to the day and add them up every week
Old May 1st 2010, 11:59 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
Difference is if you include the knobbly bit that's Northern Ireland or not, that makes the UK, other wise it's Britain and the Great is to differentiate from Little, the frog isles.
United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland ... I seem to remember that now. So I guess using 'British' or 'Great British' is an insult to the Irish (northern irish) then! So the Northern Irish get special treatment ... Scots and Welsh are fully integrated, the N. Irish still have a hope!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.