Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

I got asked.....

I got asked.....

Old May 2nd 2010, 12:48 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I got asked.....

Originally Posted by Poppy girl
Thats the 12th time this week I have been asked "Where are you from", I keep a running count just for my own boredom in my mileage book in the car I just put a check mark in there next to the day and add them up every week

Old May 2nd 2010, 12:55 am
L2, GC, Surrey, OH, TX!

MsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond repute

ive also been asked on many occasions whether my baby will talk with an american accent.
Old May 2nd 2010, 1:55 am
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MsElui
ive also been asked on many occasions whether my baby will talk with an american accent.
I'm wondering whether my granddaughter will have a southern one.
Old May 2nd 2010, 2:37 am
BE Forum Addict

rebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond repute

I was buying strawberries in the supermarket the other day and the lady on the checkout asked if they grow stawberries in England...

I said the best strawberries in the world grow in England as the slightly cooler weather means they take longer to ripen so the flavour develops... I don't think she believed me
Old May 2nd 2010, 2:38 am

expatasia is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Steerpike
United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland ... I seem to remember that now. So I guess using 'British' or 'Great British' is an insult to the Irish (northern irish) then! So the Northern Irish get special treatment ... Scots and Welsh are fully integrated, the N. Irish still have a hope!
Why do we compete in the Olympics as 'Great Britain'? I've forgotten. I remember Mary Peters though.
Old May 2nd 2010, 2:45 am
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Ds (16) was asked by his friend the other day, Why he didn't talk like his Mom seeing she had an accent (must be the first time I'm spoken to this kid). Ds said "hello I was born here dude"
Old May 2nd 2010, 3:46 am

N1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by penguinsix
When I was having dinner as a guest at one of the Inns of Court in London someone asked me, in all seriousness, whether Baywatch was a realistic portrayal of Southern California.

I have been asked if Snatch is a realistic portrayal of England

Also, if people really speak like they do on Harry Potter. I hadn't noticed they spoke any different
Old May 2nd 2010, 4:07 am
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by PepsiChic
If British people speak English as well as British?

Im not even joking about these questions, a girl I work with asked them. She was deadly serious about each question.
some of the questions I've been asked about America. "Why is the National Association For the Advancement of Colored People? They are black!" once asked of me by a "Cape Coloured" from South Africa.

Lack of knowledge knows no boundaries.

Nonetheless, I keep hearing Rex Harrison singing this.

Old May 2nd 2010, 6:16 am

penguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond repute

My husband was told at a barbershop that his English was terrible. My husband is from Scotland and the barber was Eastern European. My bosses wife asked me if he knew how to speak English before he came here. I said "What language do you think he speaks ?" She said Scottish.
Old May 2nd 2010, 6:36 am

expatasia is an unknown quantity at this point

..in the Tokyo metro by stray North Americans after brief convo "you must be from Ireland/Australia/Canada"

Are those accents really that similar?
Old May 2nd 2010, 11:36 am
BE Enthusiast

AlienUk is a glorious beacon of lightAlienUk is a glorious beacon of lightAlienUk is a glorious beacon of lightAlienUk is a glorious beacon of lightAlienUk is a glorious beacon of lightAlienUk is a glorious beacon of lightAlienUk is a glorious beacon of lightAlienUk is a glorious beacon of lightAlienUk is a glorious beacon of lightAlienUk is a glorious beacon of lightAlienUk is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Rete

Yup if the infant only associates with their mother who speaks with an accent then the infant will acquire that accent when learning to speak.
Well here's a weird one....My husband is American, my older son got rid of his English accent about a year ago, my American mother in law keeps my two year old all day while I work, and yet my US born two year old doesn't have a an American accent.....He definitely seems to have an English accent...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RxrkllObeI0
Old May 2nd 2010, 11:39 am
BE Enthusiast

AlienUk is a glorious beacon of lightAlienUk is a glorious beacon of lightAlienUk is a glorious beacon of lightAlienUk is a glorious beacon of lightAlienUk is a glorious beacon of lightAlienUk is a glorious beacon of lightAlienUk is a glorious beacon of lightAlienUk is a glorious beacon of lightAlienUk is a glorious beacon of lightAlienUk is a glorious beacon of lightAlienUk is a glorious beacon of light

Oh...my worst one??

Nurse at my doctor's office upon being told I was going back to London for a week said 'Oh I am so jealous you're going to London, I've ALWAYS wanted to see the Eiffel Tower!'

I was at a loss for words. Don't think I ever did reply...
Old May 2nd 2010, 11:49 am
lush

Juswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond repute

I got a Brit film off Netflix recently and one of the reviews said they were disgusted because they were "expecting the film to be in English but it was in "English" and there were no subtitles" so therefore they couldn't understand any of it
Old May 2nd 2010, 12:00 pm
Maño-Americano

ironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AlienUk
Oh...my worst one??

Nurse at my doctor's office upon being told I was going back to London for a week said 'Oh I am so jealous you're going to London, I've ALWAYS wanted to see the Eiffel Tower!'

I was at a loss for words. Don't think I ever did reply...
Silly girl, she should just go see it...in Las Vegas.
Old May 2nd 2010, 12:22 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

This is reqired reading for all septics with an english interest
its about the real England

http://www.brookview.karoo.net/BFA/

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.