Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

execution of Stanley 'Tookie' Williams..

Wikiposts

execution of Stanley 'Tookie' Williams..

Old Dec 13th 2005, 12:30 pm
CA to TX to Jamaica

CaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: execution of Stanley 'Tookie' Williams..

Originally Posted by Angry White Pyjamas
pushing now up daisies
eh?
Old Dec 13th 2005, 12:35 pm
Wind, earth, fire, water

User Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Thydney
The quote about Canada is their prison stats and no six times is not off the page especially amongst those with mental illness.
The French penal system is appalling - it is the worst among EU member states, it has a suicide rate some six times higher than among the EU prison population. Are you saying that there are more mentally ill prisoners in French prisons than among other prison populations in the EU? For your figures to hold true, the six times higher suicide rate in French prisons is because the French prison population has a higher portion who are mentally ill than other EU prisons. Sorry, I don't see any supporting evidence in your figures to support that conclusion.

Old Dec 13th 2005, 12:54 pm
Not dead yet

Thydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by User Name
The French penal system is appalling - it is the worst among EU member states, it has a suicide rate some six times higher than among the EU prison population.
No the figure states six times the national rate of France
Are you saying that there are more mentally ill prisoners in French prisons than among other prison populations in the EU?
The article says a figure of 80% and to the best of my knowledge the UK's jails aren't at anything like that level
For your figures to hold true, the six times higher suicide rate in French prisons is because the French prison population has a higher portion who are mentally ill than other EU prisons. Sorry, I don't see any supporting evidence in your figures to support that conclusion.
Not solely for that reason but mental illness is a major contributor to suicidal tendancies
Old Dec 13th 2005, 1:15 pm
Wind, earth, fire, water

User Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond repute

No the figure states six times the national rate of France The article says a figure of 80% and to the best of my knowledge the UK's jails aren't at anything like that level Not solely for that reason but mental illness is a major contributor to suicidal tendancies
My misread on the six times national (French, not EU) average, but the article is quite clear, "France has Europe's highest suicide rate among prisoners." In addition, in France "... unsentenced prisoners made up 40 percent of the French prison population, one of the highest such rates among industrialized countries." (Source: Human Rights Watch).

http://www.hrw.org/wr2k1/special/prisons.html

Are you disputing the fact that the French penal system is the worst in the EU and has the highest prisoner suicide rate among EU member states?

Old Dec 13th 2005, 1:31 pm
Not dead yet

Thydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond repute

My misread on the six times national (French, not EU) average, but the article is quite clear, "France has Europe's highest suicide rate among prisoners." In addition, in France "... unsentenced prisoners made up 40 percent of the French prison population, one of the highest such rates among industrialized countries." (Source: Human Rights Watch).

http://www.hrw.org/wr2k1/special/prisons.html

Are you disputing the fact that the French penal system is the worst in the EU and has the highest prisoner suicide rate among EU member states?

No they are the stats quoted what I am saying is they are like that for many reasons not because they aren't 4 star. They are being quoted as a blanket figure and not on parity basis. They are certainly not off the page.

I think the French are the worst at everything. Can't believe I'm defending them
Old Dec 13th 2005, 1:58 pm
Wind, earth, fire, water

No they are the stats quoted what I am saying is they are like that for many reasons not because they aren't 4 star. They are being quoted as a blanket figure and not on parity basis. They are certainly not off the page.

I think the French are the worst at everything. Can't believe I'm defending them
But you do such a good job!

Old Dec 13th 2005, 2:07 pm
Not dead yet

But you do such a good job!

I'm off to scrub my self with carbolic but hey thats Lifebouy
Old Dec 13th 2005, 2:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

Interested has a brilliant futureInterested has a brilliant futureInterested has a brilliant futureInterested has a brilliant futureInterested has a brilliant futureInterested has a brilliant future

I don't believe in capital punishment. He should have been spared along with everyone else on death row. I think he was of more use to society through his anti gang work, than he is dead.

I do however think life behind bars, should mean LIFE, not 25 years or whatever.

Originally Posted by CarlM
Stanley Tookie Williams, the co-founder of the CRIPS in LA, is due to get lethal injection tonight. Since he was incarcerated he has written several books trying to dissuade kids from joining gangs, and has been nominated for the Nobel peace price on 5 occasions (which anyone can be - there is no vetting procedure). he is a 'changed man'.

Does becoming a changed person after 25 years on death row mean you should get a commuted sentence to life without parole? Not after an argument here, just curious on opinion!
Old Dec 13th 2005, 2:17 pm
Account Closed

Angry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by CaliforniaBride
eh?
Dunno.
Old Dec 13th 2005, 2:23 pm

gruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Angry White Pyjamas
Dunno.
What?
Old Dec 13th 2005, 2:29 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by anotherlimey
I share the same worry as you - that innocent people will be executed.

But what of all the innocents they have murdered. What of the family Tookie called and that innocent convenience store clerk? Their only guilt was being in the wrong place or having something that he wanted.
Old Dec 13th 2005, 2:30 pm
Account Closed

Angry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by gruffbrown
What?
Eh?
Old Dec 13th 2005, 2:34 pm
Return of bouncing girl!

Wintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
But what of all the innocents they have murdered. What of the family Tookie called and that innocent convenience store clerk? Their only guilt was being in the wrong place or having something that he wanted.
But surely if they're innocent then they haven't murdered any innocents...
Old Dec 13th 2005, 2:35 pm
CA to TX to Jamaica

CaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gruffbrown
What?
Oi! Watch it!
Old Dec 13th 2005, 2:35 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Rete
They dont matter. We just have to think about the poor misunderstood legally challenged (musnt call them criminals). They didnt mean to do it...society made them do it. They are good boys and girls really. If only they had the chance....

Yeah right. Funny how theres millions of impoverished kids brought up in lower class familes every year who dont turn out to be murderers and rapists. Bastards like Tookie will never be normal productive humans no matter how much they get or how many opportunites they are givent they will always turn to crime and murder.

Last edited by Angry White Pyjamas; Dec 13th 2005 at 2:37 pm.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.