Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

execution of Stanley 'Tookie' Williams..

execution of Stanley 'Tookie' Williams..

Old Dec 13th 2005, 3:42 pm
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: execution of Stanley 'Tookie' Williams..

Originally Posted by rincewind
And with that I couldn't agree more.
If there was a "life without possibility of parole" sentence with real teeth, in EVERY state, how is execution preferrable to a true life sentence, in protecting society, especially if the criminal has begun to make positive contributions to that same society?

Bear in mind that the costs of an execution vs life without parole are comparable.
Old Dec 13th 2005, 3:46 pm
You Are All Diseased

rincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snowbunny
Bear in mind that the costs of an execution vs life without parole are comparable.
Only because of the lengthy process of appeal after appeal.

I have no problem with a life sentence for those where evidence leaves doubts.

But if the evidence is 100% certain, they should get the death penalty and sooner rather than later. Why wait if it's clear cut?
Old Dec 13th 2005, 3:53 pm
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

But if the evidence is 100% certain, they should get the death penalty and sooner rather than later. Why wait if it's clear cut?
I remember the day that I learned that the force of gravity is not always 9.8 m/s2. I was gobsmacked. There are no absolutes in life, no 100%s. The best one can hope for is "beyond a reasonable doubt" and that means that there will always be some innocent people executed.

Speaking only for myself, I would rather pay to imprison all killers vs taking the chance of executing even one innocent person. Of course, I don't want to pay for the freakin' war in Iraq either.

I find it incredulous that the religious right has largely succeeded in prohibiting the use of taxpayer money to fund abortions and even stem cell research, but those of us who oppose killing via execution and war still must pay the killers.
Old Dec 13th 2005, 3:59 pm
Forum Regular

Caligirl4ever is just really niceCaligirl4ever is just really niceCaligirl4ever is just really niceCaligirl4ever is just really niceCaligirl4ever is just really niceCaligirl4ever is just really niceCaligirl4ever is just really niceCaligirl4ever is just really niceCaligirl4ever is just really niceCaligirl4ever is just really nice

Originally Posted by Chorlton
No one can argue that he didnt try to do something good with his books, but he did murder at least 3 people (I think the forth is still disputed), and the sentence should stand. If he didnt want to be executed, he shouldn't have killed those people. Right or wrong, its the law of the land.
Agree, in fact he murdered 4 people and started the LA crips gang which is no charity group! Colour is not an issue here when it comes down to this! Think about if it was your family he killed?
Old Dec 13th 2005, 4:16 pm
Not dead yet

Thydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond repute

I find it incredulous that the religious right has largely succeeded in prohibiting the use of taxpayer money to fund abortions and even stem cell research, but those of us who oppose killing via execution and war still must pay the killers.
Being devils advocate, why do people oppose the death penalty for the guilty but approve of abortion of the innocent?
Old Dec 13th 2005, 4:24 pm
Thinking about it

BigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Thydney
Being devils advocate, why do people oppose the death penalty for the guilty but approve of abortion of the innocent?
Good grief, do we really have to go there.

I guess that pro-abortion campaigners don't see an abortion as being the equivalent of gunning someone down in the street in cold blood for example whereas the anti-abortion mob do.
Old Dec 13th 2005, 4:30 pm
Not dead yet

Thydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond repute

Using blanket phrases and sentences doesn't allow for discretion. Murderers and murders cant be put in box a or b each has it's own circumstances. Tookie was scum and deserved his end but a man who finds his 4 year old being raped and batters the man to death is still a murderer but more deserving a lesser sentence. Some things are certain in life if 100 people see a murder it's safe to say then it's happened.
Old Dec 13th 2005, 4:32 pm
Lapine Member

Some people do not see a difference between the two, and the Catholic church is becoming more anti-death penalty as a result.
Old Dec 13th 2005, 4:37 pm
Not dead yet

Originally Posted by BigDavyG
Good grief, do we really have to go there.

I guess that pro-abortion campaigners don't see an abortion as being the equivalent of gunning someone down in the street in cold blood for example whereas the anti-abortion mob do.

But they both take a life. My devils question is how can either recocile this with their conscience?
Old Dec 13th 2005, 4:38 pm
You Are All Diseased

rincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond repute

There are no absolutes in life, no 100%s.
Really? I'm 100% sure I'm male
Old Dec 13th 2005, 4:43 pm

Chorlton is an unknown quantity at this point

But they both take a life. My devils question is how can either recocile this with their conscience?
Well I would say the taking of a life is debatable. You're talking about an unborn foetus rather than a baby or a child.
Old Dec 13th 2005, 4:44 pm
Mr. Grumpy

BritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond repute

death penalty is actually far more costly
Old Dec 13th 2005, 4:48 pm
Lapine Member

Really? I'm 100% sure I'm male
You could be XXY or XYY though.

No scientific test or instrument will EVER guarantee 100% accuracy. We speak of it in terms of the number of 9s -- eg 4 9s is 99.99%.
Old Dec 13th 2005, 4:52 pm
strangely floppy..

CarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond repute

You could be XXY or XYY though.

No scientific test or instrument will EVER guarantee 100% accuracy. We speak of it in terms of the number of 9s -- eg 4 9s is 99.99%.
(and XYY are believed to be twice as likely to commit a crime as a regular XY!)
Old Dec 13th 2005, 4:55 pm
You Are All Diseased

Originally Posted by BritGuyTN
death penalty is actually far more costly
Due to the lengthy case process.

Shorten it down to a month and it will be far cheaper.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.