Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Breakfast In America!

Breakfast In America!

Old May 20th 2011, 5:55 am
Forum Regular

flbrit59 is just really niceflbrit59 is just really niceflbrit59 is just really niceflbrit59 is just really niceflbrit59 is just really niceflbrit59 is just really niceflbrit59 is just really niceflbrit59 is just really nice
Default Re: Breakfast In America!

Originally Posted by rpjs
This will probably cause my fellow BE-ers to start a petition to have me stripped of my British passport, but I *love* American bacon, and much prefer it to British bacon. I also prefer American breakfast sausage over British bangers. And I agree that Thomas's English Muffins are fantastic.
Yes clearly there's something very wrong with you..lol. I have to agree with sultan...american bacon & sausage = shite

No finer meal in this world than a full english
Old May 20th 2011, 6:18 am
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

I am now so hungry after reading all of the above...

I can't have gluten (diagnosed a couple of years back) although I would love to cheat with a tall stack of fluffy buttermilk pancakes; Texas toast thick-sliced, buttered, and browned in a skillet; and baguette with proper butter and jam. Not to mention pastries.

Noorah your breakfast sounds fab - I have had "Greek-style" vegetables marinated along with some feta cheese - for breakfast - and it works. Now, where can I get sour cherry jam?

I usually skip breakfast, but when I do eat it, it's either migas or an omelette. There are several restaurants here that are open 24 hours and serve breakfast around the clock, and I like to eat breakfast in the middle of the night!
Old May 20th 2011, 8:12 am
Not dead yet

Thydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
Even better with garlic and cheese . . .
Nice with garlic and with some bbq pork
Old May 20th 2011, 12:39 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Thydney
Nice with garlic and with some bbq pork
Very much so. Maybe not for breakfast, of course, but definitely an early lunch.
Old May 20th 2011, 10:07 pm
Dizzy Blonde

clarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond repute

During the week - a cup of coffee for both of us

On a weekend - Grands flaky layers buttermilk biscuits....

On the one day off a month during the week that we get together without the smelly teenagers, we get up early and go to http://www.frischs.com/ for their all you can eat breakfast bar.....$6.99 each and DH always piles his plate up with biscuits and gravy, sausage, egg, bacon, ham, chicken... the full works, (what can I say, he's one of those fat people everyone knows about ) I just do half a pig of bacon (LOVE that stuff), some potatoes and a little bit of scrambled egg..... then I normally go back for a couple of pancakes and some syrup.

I was a little disturbed today though, when at 8.30am after we were done and the server bought us our check she asked 'can I get y'all some hot chocolate fudge cake and ice cream?'..... AT 8.30am LADY??? REALLY??? REALLY???
Old May 20th 2011, 10:27 pm
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

Breakfast wise, my fave of all time is Indian.
Paratha, dal and a glass of chai.
I wish I could find that someplace here.
Old May 21st 2011, 1:25 am
BE Enthusiast

CAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond repute

Question from a Newby expat...what the heck is gravy??? And biscuits ???? Is that like digestives with bisto on them!!!!! Sounds vile whatever it is
Old May 21st 2011, 2:42 am
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CAdreaming
Question from a Newby expat...what the heck is gravy??? And biscuits ???? Is that like digestives with bisto on them!!!!! Sounds vile whatever it is
Imagine a thing that looks like a scone, but isn't sweet. Kind of dry and crumbly. That's a biscuit. 'Gravy' in this case has the appearance and consistency of cream of mushroom soup but I think it is a chicken gravy of some description.

They actually are quite nice together but descriptively very misleading . . .
Old May 21st 2011, 3:04 am
BE Enthusiast

CAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
Imagine a thing that looks like a scone, but isn't sweet. Kind of dry and crumbly. That's a biscuit. 'Gravy' in this case has the appearance and consistency of cream of mushroom soup but I think it is a chicken gravy of some description.

They actually are quite nice together but descriptively very misleading . . .
thank you!!! Sounds delightfull. Yum...hmmmmm
Old May 21st 2011, 3:07 am
I have a comma problem

thank you!!! Sounds delightfull. Yum...hmmmmm
They're better than I made them sound, but not really great for a true breakfast (i.e. not an early lunch at 11 when you have a breakfast like item).

If I'm eating at 8am, say, usually all I can manage is some toast!
Old May 21st 2011, 3:25 am
BE Enthusiast

When in Rome...next time I go out for brekky I'm going to try some
Old May 21st 2011, 4:10 am
I have a comma problem

When in Rome...next time I go out for brekky I'm going to try some
If you don't like them, don't blame me
Old May 21st 2011, 5:41 am
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Gravy is a kind of sauce usually made from either leftovers from frying meat, or meat "juice" or stock. White gravy, traditionally served with biscuits, is made with milk and flour mixed into a skillet that has a *bit* of leftover fat in it. It's cooked until it's a thickish sauce.
Old May 21st 2011, 10:55 am
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

No, that would be far nicer than what it really is... <shudder>

Originally Posted by kimilseung
Breakfast wise, my fave of all time is Indian.
Paratha, dal and a glass of chai.
I wish I could find that someplace here.
Yes, that or the remains of last night's vindaloo. With a nice cup of tea, of course.
Old May 21st 2011, 11:32 am
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by clarissageo
During the week - a cup of coffee for both of us

On a weekend - Grands flaky layers buttermilk biscuits....

On the one day off a month during the week that we get together without the smelly teenagers, we get up early and go to http://www.frischs.com/ for their all you can eat breakfast bar.....$6.99 each and DH always piles his plate up with biscuits and gravy, sausage, egg, bacon, ham, chicken... the full works, (what can I say, he's one of those fat people everyone knows about ) I just do half a pig of bacon (LOVE that stuff), some potatoes and a little bit of scrambled egg..... then I normally go back for a couple of pancakes and some syrup.

I was a little disturbed today though, when at 8.30am after we were done and the server bought us our check she asked 'can I get y'all some hot chocolate fudge cake and ice cream?'..... AT 8.30am LADY??? REALLY??? REALLY???
Shoney's (same thing as Frisch's) USED to be here in GA, but the two here have closed. DH really liked the breakfast bar, I was all about the biscuits and gravy.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.