British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Breakfast In America! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/breakfast-america-716885/)

Poppy girl May 13th 2011 2:53 pm

Breakfast In America!

So I was just putting the boiled eggs on and wondered there is so much moaning and groaning about the bacon the sausages the bread even the beans in the US, what do you have for breakfast, just put up with the US version of everything?.....don't have breakfast maybe or only, like myself have a real fry up at the weekends only!!!

Had to laugh the BF had never made poached eggs until he met me :lol:

Just a bit curious! :)

AmerLisa May 13th 2011 3:23 pm

Re: Breakfast in the US!

Years ago I didn't bother with breakfast, then I started eating toast and now I eat cereal every morning. I can't imagine too many people would bother with a huge breakfast Monday through Friday....;):)

Poppy girl May 13th 2011 3:25 pm

Originally Posted by AmerLisa (Post 9362308)
Years ago I didn't bother with breakfast, then I started eating toast and now I eat cereal every morning. I can't imagine too many people would bother with a huge breakfast Monday through Friday....;):)

I don't know so much or maybe only when they are not home, I spend alot of time in Hotels for business during the week and see folk pile their plates high with the full sha bang!

SultanOfSwing May 13th 2011 3:29 pm

Pancakes, or Waffles. If we have a can of squirt cream and some strawberry jam I'm a very happy man. Failing that a Pop Tart or a slice of toast does the trick. I can force down the bacon but I don't go seeking it out!

ETA: You really should rename the thread "Breakfast In America". That was a brilliant album ;)

helwardman May 13th 2011 3:32 pm

Cereal on week days. On the weekends it might be pancakes, biscuits or eggs or maybe more cereal. :)

SultanOfSwing May 13th 2011 3:35 pm

Originally Posted by helwardman (Post 9362329)
Cereal on week days. On the weekends it might be pancakes, biscuits or eggs or maybe more cereal. :)

Forgot about that, we bought a bunch of boxes of Crunchy Nut when the supermarket had a cereal sale :thumbup:

Cuthbert Rizla May 13th 2011 3:44 pm

Whenever I'm in the States my breakfast is always the same - two slices of rye toast and black coffee.
If I'm working off a hangover I may chance some pink grapefruit juice, scrambled eggs and hash browns.
If I'm working of a reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeally bad hangover a bloody Mary is added to the mix !

SultanOfSwing May 13th 2011 3:45 pm

Originally Posted by Cuthbert Rizla (Post 9362356)
Whenever I'm in the States my breakfast is always the same - two slices of rye toast and black coffee.
If I'm working off a hangover I may chance some pink grapefruit juice, scrambled eggs and hash browns.
If I'm working of a reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeally bad hangover a bloody Mary is added to the mix !

You're made of stronger stuff than I am. If I'm nursing a hangover I'm lucky if I'm up for lunch, let along breakfast :lol:

Scrambled eggs and hash browns are the dogs bollocks though.

Poppy girl May 13th 2011 3:50 pm

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing (Post 9362325)
Pancakes, or Waffles. If we have a can of squirt cream and some strawberry jam I'm a very happy man. Failing that a Pop Tart or a slice of toast does the trick. I can force down the bacon but I don't go seeking it out!

ETA: You really should rename the thread "Breakfast In America". That was a brilliant album ;)

Never had a Pop Tart!

If a Mod would be kind enough to change the thread title that would be splendid good idea SOS.

Sheepdip May 13th 2011 3:50 pm

Weekends are a fry-up with 'veggie' baked beans (i.e. no pork fat) and we now bake our own bread. I find the bacon ok as long as it's not too fatty (which is hard to tell in the packaging here).

Weekdays are toast (from the home made bread of course) or cereal. Can't believe they've only just discovered Crunchy Nut Cornflakes here! My wife wishes we could get Weetabix :D

Poppy girl May 13th 2011 3:52 pm

Originally Posted by Sheepdip (Post 9362369)
Weekends are a fry-up with 'veggie' baked beans (i.e. no pork fat) and we now bake our own bread. I find the bacon ok as long as it's not too fatty (which is hard to tell in the packaging here).

Weekdays are toast (from the home made bread of course) or cereal. Can't believe they've only just discovered Crunchy Nut Cornflakes here! My wife wishes we could get Weetabix :D

On my other thread about UK foods in the US I was tipped off and true enough Trader Joes sell real Weetabix its $2.79 a box :)

SultanOfSwing May 13th 2011 3:53 pm

Originally Posted by Poppy girl (Post 9362368)
Never had a Pop Tart!

If a Mod would be kind enough to change the thread title that would be splendid good idea SOS.

They're so ridiculously unhealthy but I love 'em. Quick and easy, I can throw them in the toaster in work and away I go.

Sheepdip May 13th 2011 3:58 pm

Originally Posted by Poppy girl (Post 9362373)
On my other thread about UK foods in the US I was tipped off and true enough Trader Joes sell real Weetabix its $2.79 a box :)

Unfortunately not one 'near' us but on the next visit to Charleston or Charlotte we may take a look - thanks for the tip :thumbup:

Poppy girl May 13th 2011 3:59 pm

Originally Posted by Sheepdip (Post 9362390)
Unfortunately not one 'near' us but on the next visit to Charleston or Charlotte we may take a look - thanks for the tip :thumbup:

They are cheap enough to stock up on :) Good Luck.

ChocolateBabz May 13th 2011 5:04 pm

Re: Breakfast In America!

Cinnamon Raisin Muffin, Pilsbury Toaster Pastry or Cereal. Cup of coffee with 1/2n1/2 and a yakult.

Make pancakes or waffles a few times a month but only on weekends.