Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Breakfast In America!

Breakfast In America!

Old May 22nd 2011, 2:17 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Breakfast In America!

Originally Posted by tamms_1965
I had me some white gravy with my sausage and fried taters yesterday morning Yum! And I've never tried to make red gravy but we used to have it with ham growing up. I need to try it again.
This is just how regional this country can be. I've never heard of 'red gravy', so I googled it. Interesting....
Old May 22nd 2011, 6:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

Redwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cindyabs
Shoney's (same thing as Frisch's) USED to be here in GA, but the two here have closed. DH really liked the breakfast bar, I was all about the biscuits and gravy.
I can remember when Shoney's started their breakfast bar in the early 80s, if you went at the weekend, you may have to wait an hour or more to get seated. Then their food quality went downhill, and the fad was over.
Old May 23rd 2011, 6:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

Anian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
Popovers are different, they've roasted in deep pan trays, they're a breakfast item eaten with butter and/or jam and they're lovely.
They are essentially just Yorkshire puds that are eaten in a different way, the recipe is identical, some people just make them a little bigger.
Old May 23rd 2011, 7:23 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Anian
They are essentially just Yorkshire puds that are eaten in a different way, the recipe is identical, some people just make them a little bigger.
They're similar definitely...but good ones are slightly different, more airy and they rise a shit load more than a yorkie pud does...though they tend to be soggy, minging pucks at most restaurants
Old May 24th 2011, 1:58 am
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
They're similar definitely...but good ones are slightly different, more airy and they rise a shit load more than a yorkie pud does...though they tend to be soggy, minging pucks at most restaurants
Been making my grandfather's popover recipe for 45 years.
Old May 24th 2011, 7:31 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Poppy girl
So I was just putting the boiled eggs on and wondered there is so much moaning and groaning about the bacon the sausages the bread even the beans in the US, what do you have for breakfast, just put up with the US version of everything?.....don't have breakfast maybe or only, like myself have a real fry up at the weekends only!!!

Had to laugh the BF had never made poached eggs until he met me

Just a bit curious!
Oatmeal raisin cookies and a Latte. Every day.

About once a year I will go crazy and have a sausage McMuffin and Hash Brown from Micky D ... a guilty pleasure I always feel disgusting after eating any kind of greasy cooked breakfast, and it takes a year for me to forget ...
Old May 24th 2011, 2:54 pm

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steerpike
Oatmeal raisin cookies and a Latte. Every day.

About once a year I will go crazy and have a sausage McMuffin and Hash Brown from Micky D ... a guilty pleasure I always feel disgusting after eating any kind of greasy cooked breakfast, and it takes a year for me to forget ...
The Golden Archers are always a safe bet after a few too many drinkies the night before
Old May 24th 2011, 6:45 pm
Just Joined

Parlay is a name known to allParlay is a name known to allParlay is a name known to allParlay is a name known to allParlay is a name known to allParlay is a name known to allParlay is a name known to allParlay is a name known to allParlay is a name known to allParlay is a name known to allParlay is a name known to all

I've been very lucky and have located fresh British Back Bacon in Fresh and Easy (Tesco's US stores). There are lots of little British goodies in amongst the American stuff.

So we occasionally pick that up and we'll do some bacon butty's for breakfast. But usually breakfast for me is oatmeal with sugar (bleh, but I'm nursing and oatmeal helps increase supply) and either Life cereal with milk or the bacon butty at the weekends, sometime Heinz beans (also available at Fresh & Easy) on toast. Very occasionally we'll go to Denny's or to the local British tea place and have a proper fry up with all the trimmings and lots of tea. Mmmmm!
Old May 24th 2011, 7:26 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Parlay
...But usually breakfast for me is oatmeal with sugar (bleh, but I'm nursing and oatmeal helps increase supply)...
It's an old wives tale, and it doesn't. It's a supply and demand thing.
Old Nov 10th 2011, 7:03 pm
Just Joined

Damagya will become famous soon enough

Although i miss the bacon, sausage and bread i have found biscuits and gravy the stick to your ribs kind some of the bread is really good here and i do like Jimmy Deans but breakfast is normally coffee unless its the weekend
Old Nov 10th 2011, 8:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

Lothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond repute

This American seems to be enjoying a meal while eating British style, but he really does make it look as if he feels awkward about it and to me he doesn't appear to holding the fork properly. I reckon he has only just mastered the art of piercing his food with the fork with the tines pointing downwards and then guiding it on to the fork with the knife in the prescribed British style. I find it amusing watching Americans eating here in the UK with the constant switching back and forth from hand to hand of the knife and fork and then shovelling the food into the mouth with the fork the wrong way round.

The unseen American: "Where are we here?" (How come he didn't know?)

The American eating: "The 57th parallel - north east Scotland".

That's the first time I have ever heard anyone indicate a location here in Scotland by it's latitude.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HjuKE...eature=related
Old Nov 10th 2011, 9:03 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

On reflection, I think Crime of the Century is the better album ...
Old Nov 12th 2011, 4:28 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Damagya
Although i miss the bacon, sausage and bread i have found biscuits and gravy the stick to your ribs kind some of the bread is really good here and i do like Jimmy Deans but breakfast is normally coffee unless its the weekend
Tip - your posts will be more readable if you use punctuation and capitalization ... this is not a texting forum!
Old Nov 12th 2011, 10:19 am
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steerpike
Tip - your posts will be more readable if you use punctuation and capitalization ... this is not a texting forum!
Still a ton more coherent than the post following it...
Old Nov 12th 2011, 3:15 pm
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lothianlad
The American eating: "The 57th parallel - north east Scotland".
That's the first time I have ever heard anyone indicate a location here in Scotland by it's latitude.
Total disrespect to the British grid system.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.