Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Breakfast In America!

Breakfast In America!

Old May 21st 2011, 11:36 am
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Breakfast In America!

Originally Posted by snowbunny
Gravy is a kind of sauce usually made from either leftovers from frying meat, or meat "juice" or stock. White gravy, traditionally served with biscuits, is made with milk and flour mixed into a skillet that has a *bit* of leftover fat in it. It's cooked until it's a thickish sauce.
It is a southern/midwest thing, never saw it until I moved to Ohio. I tried making redeye gravy once, but it didn't work out.
Old May 21st 2011, 12:08 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CAdreaming
Question from a Newby expat...what the heck is gravy??? And biscuits ???? Is that like digestives with bisto on them!!!!! Sounds vile whatever it is
The biscuits are quite good, for the most part....best when slightly nasty and greasy from places you shouldn't eat at Though Popeyes do pretty good biscuits for a fast food type joint.

Still not to keen on the gravy, but it's better than the usual white gravy that's slopped over the chicken fried steak.
Old May 21st 2011, 12:14 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cindyabs
Shoney's (same thing as Frisch's) USED to be here in GA, but the two here have closed. DH really liked the breakfast bar, I was all about the biscuits and gravy.
If you're ever in MA, you need to check out the J&M Diner - It really is the best diner Well they do amazing omelets and the best home fries...it's just a bugger that it's so old school that they only take cash and it's only a breakfast/lunch diner.
Old May 21st 2011, 12:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

Lothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond repute

Gravy is best made from the juices derived from the cooking of the meat as you know plus whatever embellishments you wish to add depending on what kind of meat it is - mustard for beef and redcurrant and mint jelly for lamb and so on.

Marco Pierre White is a regular chef on BBC1 TV's "Saturday Kitchen" program which runs from 10:00 hrs to 11:30 hrs UK time- his names make him sound multinational but with no French connection as far as I can make out - born in Leeds of an Italian mother who had come to England and to Yorkshire in particular in order to improve her spoken English (flippin' eck as like! - or is that Lancashire speak? I should know as I went to Leeds uni) and his father was a Yorkshireman so he no doubt helped his wife to flatten her vowels.

A Sunday roast Marco Pierre style with crispy Yorkshires and real gravy...no mention of roasties best made from King Ted spuds

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E6YfX...20make%20gravy

Marco's roasties:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DBXz2cO1qcU

And here's an American guy allegedly showing us how to make Yorkshire puddings......or something called "popovers" which may or may not be the same thing....the poor bloke made it all look like hard going! Surely they have whisks in America?

Roast beef and popovers? Nah - it doesn't sound the same, somehow.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eVp4fNEZmxU&NR=1

Last edited by Lothianlad; May 21st 2011 at 12:42 pm.
Old May 21st 2011, 1:21 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by Lothianlad

And here's an American guy allegedly showing us how to make Yorkshire puddings......or something called "popovers" which may or may not be the same thing....the poor bloke made it all look like hard going! Surely they have whisks in America?
Popovers are different, they've roasted in deep pan trays, they're a breakfast item eaten with butter and/or jam and they're lovely.
Old May 21st 2011, 1:43 pm

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute

When in Rome...next time I go out for brekky I'm going to try some
Good luck lol
Attached Images  
Old May 21st 2011, 3:31 pm
Dizzy Blonde

clarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond repute

Question from a Newby expat...what the heck is gravy??? And biscuits ???? Is that like digestives with bisto on them!!!!! Sounds vile whatever it is
Here ya go.......
Attached Thumbnails Breakfast In America!-26900_386699553294_592318294_4038848_1398397_n.jpg  
Old May 21st 2011, 4:19 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snowbunny
I usually skip breakfast, but when I do eat it, it's either migas or an omelette.
I can't believe I made it to my age and never heard that word before. That sounds right up my alley.

Shoney's (same thing as Frisch's) USED to be here in GA, but the two here have closed. DH really liked the breakfast bar, I was all about the biscuits and gravy.
Shoney's, Shoney's, Shoney's... now, I could really go for a gut buster from there. I think they are all 2000 miles away.... Shoney's biscuits are .. well, they might be The Best Ever.
Old May 21st 2011, 4:24 pm

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute

Crackerbarrel.com I can smell breakfast as I type
Old May 21st 2011, 4:51 pm
Not dead yet

Thydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Poppy girl
Crackerbarrel.com I can smell breakfast as I type
Oh yes that sounds like a plan. How do you like your eggs?
Old May 21st 2011, 4:57 pm

Originally Posted by Thydney
Oh yes that sounds like a plan. How do you like your eggs?
Boiled and HARD!
Old May 21st 2011, 5:12 pm
Not dead yet

Thydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Poppy girl
Boiled and HARD!
Well we've moved on from 'unfertilised' I knew I'd grind you down lmao
Old May 22nd 2011, 2:03 am
Forum Regular

Deeks has much to be proud ofDeeks has much to be proud ofDeeks has much to be proud ofDeeks has much to be proud ofDeeks has much to be proud ofDeeks has much to be proud ofDeeks has much to be proud ofDeeks has much to be proud ofDeeks has much to be proud ofDeeks has much to be proud ofDeeks has much to be proud of

Biscuits and gravy are yummy, especially if you have a big appetite. But the gravy really should be made with sausage, otherwise it's just "white sauce".
Old May 22nd 2011, 5:19 am
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by meauxna
I can't believe I made it to my age and never heard that word before. That sounds right up my alley.
Migas? It's Tex-Mex goodness. For everyone else, it's eggs scrambled with corn tortilla pieces, tomatoes, onions, chiles, and cheese - the exact recipe varies from place to place, but you get the picture.

Today I had the Popeye (at a local joint - not Popeye's Chicken!) omelette that this thread got me jonesing for - spinach, red onion, cheddar cheese, and bacon, with sour cream on top. Okay - only the spinach was healthy
Old May 22nd 2011, 12:15 pm
Queen of my house

tamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond repute

It is a southern/midwest thing, never saw it until I moved to Ohio. I tried making redeye gravy once, but it didn't work out.
I had me some white gravy with my sausage and fried taters yesterday morning Yum! And I've never tried to make red gravy but we used to have it with ham growing up. I need to try it again.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.