Where is the anger?

Old Sep 14th 2021, 11:34 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Where is the anger?

At the beginning of COVID we in Australia had some temp visa holders having to leave the country immediately regardless of how long they'd been here, this included having to leave pets and furniture behind. Everyone I spoke to in that exact position weren't even angry, they were simply very disappointed. To be angry about being 'trapped' in a country where you've got a job and a home and a decent life whilst millions around the world are dying/have died/have serious lifelong disabilities due to catching COVID seems a bit unnecessary to me. We're still in the middle of a ****ing pandemic for christ's sake. I haven't hugged my daughter since April 2018 and have no idea when I'll be able to do that again but I have Whatsapp and there's zero point in getting angry about how governments are dealing with something they've never had to deal with before.

Honestly, breathe the air and be grateful for the internet and science.

Old Sep 14th 2021, 3:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

karenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
At the beginning of COVID we in Australia had some temp visa holders having to leave the country immediately regardless of how long they'd been here, this included having to leave pets and furniture behind. Everyone I spoke to in that exact position weren't even angry, they were simply very disappointed. To be angry about being 'trapped' in a country where you've got a job and a home and a decent life whilst millions around the world are dying/have died/have serious lifelong disabilities due to catching COVID seems a bit unnecessary to me. We're still in the middle of a ****ing pandemic for christ's sake. I haven't hugged my daughter since April 2018 and have no idea when I'll be able to do that again but I have Whatsapp and there's zero point in getting angry about how governments are dealing with something they've never had to deal with before.

I sympathize for your situation, Australia is very tough indeed. you missed the point tho re why people in the US are angry. It makes no sense that you cannot travel here from England, however you CAN spend a few weeks in a country with a much lower vaccination rate and much worse Covid case rate than England and then simply enter USA with a negative rapid test. Its the political BS that angers people.
Old Sep 14th 2021, 4:11 pm
tht
DE-UK-NZ-IE-US... the TYP

tht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by karenkaren1
semantics. we both own the business and jointly decided which visas would be best....but good work detective
It is not semantics. Ownership is not a criteria for an L1a. The only reason you were able to get an L2 was an approved L1 and your marriage certificate. Now I know nothing about your involvement in the business, you could have done 50/50 before expanding to the US. You may well be a Director of the UK business and or a Director or partner of the US Corp or LLC, and could have been eligible for an L1a yourself. But if you choose an L2 you obviously decided the ease/cost saving of that visa was worth more to you than but being able to do any work for the business for a few months until you got an EAD (which also has the benefit if you being able to work for almost any US employer, vs the L which restricts you). So it seems like your day to day involvement was not critical. But it seems strange to call out others who came based on marriage when you did as well.
Old Sep 14th 2021, 4:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

karenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tht
It is not semantics. Ownership is not a criteria for an L1a. The only reason you were able to get an L2 was an approved L1 and your marriage certificate. Now I know nothing about your involvement in the business, you could have done 50/50 before expanding to the US. You may well be a Director of the UK business and or a Director or partner of the US Corp or LLC, and could have been eligible for an L1a yourself. But if you choose an L2 you obviously decided the ease/cost saving of that visa was worth more to you than but being able to do any work for the business for a few months until you got an EAD (which also has the benefit if you being able to work for almost any US employer, vs the L which restricts you). So it seems like your day to day involvement was not critical. But it seems strange to call out others who came based on marriage when you did as well.
I think you are confused. Totally different circumstances. I did not move here via getting married. I was originally going to come via EB5 however things changed. I see your point about derivative visas but for my situation it is semantics and a case of deciding which route to choose and taking into account complications with a historical conviction. anyway, gone totally off topic from the origin of this thread so im out. have a good day all.
Old Sep 14th 2021, 5:32 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypenny20

Old Sep 14th 2021, 5:35 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
It's all here

I see there's a hurricane in your neck of the woods, I hope you and everyone there gets through it ok xx
Survived..slightly battered around the edges but the compound is in one piece ( minus a few shrubs and trees)

Thanks for asking...need to quit before we get a knuckle rap
Old Sep 14th 2021, 5:36 pm
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute
Post Re: Where is the anger?

Originally Posted by Hiro11
I'm also surprised at the lack of anger... at people who STILL refuse to get vaccinated here in the US.

The proof is incontrovertible. As one example, my county maintains a very easy to understand dashboard that breaks out cases and mortality by vaccination status (it's about 3/4 of the way down the page):
https://www.dupagehealth.org/610/DuP...D-19-Dashboard

The lesson: vaccines reduce the risk of covid to background noise for almost everyone. If you're vaccinated, you have a (very) slight risk of testing positive for Covid. If you're vaccinated and you have underlying medical risk factors, you have about as much risk of becoming seriously ill as you would from something like the flu. If you are both vaccinated AND have no underlying medical risk factors, you have almost literally ZERO chance of becoming seriously ill.

The same results have been found all over the world. This is FANTASTIC news. Given this type of evidence, I've concluded that un-vaccinated people who don't have a health risk and have ready access to vaccines (which is the vast, vast majority of people over 12 in the US currently) are stupid, selfish asses. I agree with Biden on this point: my patience is at an end. Compare the experience in my IL county or my brother's MA county (both with vaccination rates approaching 80%) and compare them the the current experience my sister is seeing in her Tennessee county (vaccination rates in the mid 40% range). Covid is essentially defeated here and it's raging in TN. What is wrong with people?
I think there is anger at vaccine refuseniks. I am especially annoyed at substantial numbers of police and fire ( and their unions) who are opposing vaccinations.

BTW, although I am fully vaccinated, the Delta variant got me, albeit quite mild.
Old Sep 14th 2021, 5:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

BenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond repute

My mum is flying out to visit next Friday, everything we have read says immediate family (i.e. the parent of a US Citizen) is able to visit. She has her proof of vaccination, and Covid tests booked prior to travel each way.

To be quite frank I really do not care about the health of those who *choose* to be unvaccinated, I have done my civic duty (along with millions of others) in doing what was asked of me, and that was to receive two doses of a vaccine I didn't particularly want, but did anyway.
Old Sep 14th 2021, 5:49 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by BenK91
My mum is flying out to visit next Friday, everything we have read says immediate family (i.e. the parent of a US Citizen) is able to visit. She has her proof of vaccination, and Covid tests booked prior to travel each way.

To be quite frank I really do not care about the health of those who *choose* to be unvaccinated, I have done my civic duty (along with millions of others) in doing what was asked of me, and that was to receive two doses of a vaccine I didn't particularly want, but did anyway.
l thought the USC child had to be a minor?
Old Sep 14th 2021, 5:54 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sugarmooma
+1!
Old Sep 14th 2021, 6:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

BenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
l thought the USC child had to be a minor?
If that's the case it hasn't been well written, this is the proclamation as it stands right now: The travel restriction does not apply to:
  • U.S. citizens.
  • Legal permanent residents (LPRs).
  • Most immediate family members of U.S. citizens.
  • Other individuals who are identified in the proclamation.
For information on current COVID testing requirements for travel to the United States from the United Kingdom please see the CDC website. The Presidential Proclamation continues to apply to travelers from the United Kingdom even with a negative COVID test.

I think regardless of whether you have to be a minor or not she's still going to get on the plane as the flight is non-refundable, she ever gets in or sent home and she was a frequent traveller for work prior to Covid so I'm sure a quick-return home wouldn't bother her too much

Last edited by BenK91; Sep 14th 2021 at 6:18 pm. Reason: Can't spell.
Old Sep 14th 2021, 6:17 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Give me grace to accept
the things that cannot be changed,

Courage to change the things
which should be changed,

and the patience to accept the COVID restrictions without whining because I can't do as I please.
Old Sep 14th 2021, 6:19 pm
tht
DE-UK-NZ-IE-US... the TYP

tht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BenK91
If that's the case it hasn't been well written, this is the proclamation as it stands right now: The travel restriction does not apply to:
  • U.S. citizens.
  • Legal permanent residents (LPRs).
  • Most immediate family members of U.S. citizens.
  • Other individuals who are identified in the proclamation.
For information on current COVID testing requirements for travel to the United States from the United Kingdom please see the CDC website. The Presidential Proclamation continues to apply to travelers from the United Kingdom even with a negative COVID test.
why? Because they used family instead of relative? Or because “most” could let them make further exclusions It’s defined by USCIS:

Old Sep 14th 2021, 6:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by tht
why? Because they used family instead of relative? Or because “most” could let them make further exclusions It’s defined by USCIS:
Defined by USCIS is kind of a double entendre. As I mentioned, the flights are non-refundable, the ESTA was approved and she is/was a frequent flyer and the flights were cheap so, we'll see. Hopefully US Customs at the airport are as useless as always.
Old Sep 14th 2021, 7:02 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by lansbury
Give me grace to accept
the things that cannot be changed,

Courage to change the things
which should be changed,

and the patience to accept the COVID restrictions without whining because I can't do as I please.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.