Where is the anger?

Old Sep 15th 2021, 2:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

TexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Where is the anger?

Originally Posted by Rete View Post
Nothing done by the President is without the approval and/or at the direction of the Senate/Congress.
The President has significant latitude to exercise the constitutional powers of the Executive Branch as he or she sees fit, with somewhat less latitude to exercise the powers that have been explicitly granted by Congress.

The quintessential example of this would be the DACA program, where the President (and his nominee) used discretion to defer any prosecutorial or removal actions against certain foreign nationals who arrived in the United States under certain circumstances. No approval or direction from Congress was required for this, as the day to day enforcement of Federal Law is a matter for the Executive Branch and not the Legislative Branch.

What neatly demonstrates the distinction between the two branches however is the very heart of the DACA problem, where the President has authority to defer any prosecutorial action yet cannot actually parole a foreign national into the United States or grant lawful admission contrary to the intent of Congress as laid down in the INA - that's not a power that the President has, and DACA cannot be "fixed" without Congress legislating to change the INA.

Apologies if this is old ground that you're already familiar with, but I'm sure there will be people reading this who perhaps aren't as familiar with the distinction between the broad powers that the President can explicitly exercise by dint of the Constitution, and those powers that have been narrowly and explicitly granted by Congress.
Old Sep 15th 2021, 2:46 pm
Just Joined

droidguy72 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by civilservant View Post
Everything that the President can do, generally speaking, can be overridden by Congress passing a law. It it something of a semantic argument, because we are talking about tacit approval rather than overt approval, but the point remains if that enough of them disagreed they could have written and passed a bill.
As Charles Cooke said on his interview, "the President is surrounded by people who are hysterical on this issue" and "[the policy] would not be put into place now".
Old Sep 15th 2021, 5:03 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl View Post
How long is a piece of string?

Old Sep 15th 2021, 5:32 pm
Banned

johnbrown1938 has a reputation beyond reputejohnbrown1938 has a reputation beyond reputejohnbrown1938 has a reputation beyond reputejohnbrown1938 has a reputation beyond reputejohnbrown1938 has a reputation beyond reputejohnbrown1938 has a reputation beyond reputejohnbrown1938 has a reputation beyond reputejohnbrown1938 has a reputation beyond reputejohnbrown1938 has a reputation beyond reputejohnbrown1938 has a reputation beyond reputejohnbrown1938 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl View Post
How long is a piece of string?
Depends if you have a tape measure doesn't it?
Old Sep 15th 2021, 8:23 pm
Banned

johnbrown1938 has a reputation beyond reputejohnbrown1938 has a reputation beyond reputejohnbrown1938 has a reputation beyond reputejohnbrown1938 has a reputation beyond reputejohnbrown1938 has a reputation beyond reputejohnbrown1938 has a reputation beyond reputejohnbrown1938 has a reputation beyond reputejohnbrown1938 has a reputation beyond reputejohnbrown1938 has a reputation beyond reputejohnbrown1938 has a reputation beyond reputejohnbrown1938 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by droidguy72 View Post
Charles Cooke covered the issue well on Fox News yesterday: https://video.foxnews.com/v/62723400...#sp=show-clips

Also good to see some ambassadors to the US (from Ireland, NL, Poland) and politicians (Rep. Brendan Boyle) have applied pressure recently.

However, I do have very little hope that Biden will change the laws anytime soon.

I can only hope I get my GC finalised in the next year and a half, and cross my fingers than my family in the UK does not get sick and require my help.
Poland? What where they thinking adding Poland to the visa waiver program like what 3 months before Brexit? They will get waves upon waves of Poles going to America and living illegally now. Well once the ban is lifted

And what pressure has been applied? Has the UK threatened to end relations with the U.S permanently to put it under the blanket statement. Have the Irish American businessmen and political money raising groups - who have a lot of power I am sure - threatened to throw in with Trump in 24 against Biden for example just to put something out there? Or even start the push for 25 amendment like in Air Force One because maybe he is senile? Has the EU threatened whatever it thinks it could beyond moaning? Answers no to all of it. So no one has threatened nothing.

And besides I am surprised Holland saying anything at all. The yanks could just turn round and put them on medicals over cannabis use.

Last edited by johnbrown1938; Sep 15th 2021 at 8:26 pm.
Old Sep 15th 2021, 8:34 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

I think they were expecting something different from Biden and were caught somewhat surprised by reality

Afghanistan really drove it home and now it is too late.
Old Sep 15th 2021, 8:56 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by johnbrown1938 View Post
Poland? What where they thinking adding Poland to the visa waiver program like what 3 months before Brexit? They will get waves upon waves of Poles going to America and living illegally now. Well once the ban is lifted

And what pressure has been applied? Has the UK threatened to end relations with the U.S permanently to put it under the blanket statement. Have the Irish American businessmen and political money raising groups - who have a lot of power I am sure - threatened to throw in with Trump in 24 against Biden for example just to put something out there? Or even start the push for 25 amendment like in Air Force One because maybe he is senile? Has the EU threatened whatever it thinks it could beyond moaning? Answers no to all of it. So no one has threatened nothing.

And besides I am surprised Holland saying anything at all. The yanks could just turn round and put them on medicals over cannabis use.
John, I think the only person who's going to being pulled over cannabis use is yourself after making this post.
Old Sep 15th 2021, 10:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

TexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond repute

Poland? What where they thinking adding Poland to the visa waiver program like what 3 months before Brexit? They will get waves upon waves of Poles going to America and living illegally now.
You are Nigel Farage and I claim my five pounds.
Old Sep 15th 2021, 10:40 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by TexanScot View Post
You are Nigel Farage and I claim my five pounds.
I think they will you know especially in this jobs climate in America right now. I do find it interesting that no one has said that one of the reasons the borders are not being opened is because Biden's increased dole money is still going out and they can't fill jobs in cities like New York and LA in the some sectors from what I have read. Biden knows there is a good chance of a real influx of illegals or future illegals into the U.S once he does open the borders if the job situation is still the same.
Old Sep 15th 2021, 10:42 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

You ability to tell us what is going on in the head of POTUS is outstanding. Tell me another.

Frankly I think you're full of crap.
Old Sep 15th 2021, 10:55 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by droidguy72 View Post
John, I think the only person who's going to being pulled over cannabis use is yourself after making this post.
if the irish american lobbies threaten to turn against Biden because of the ban against the Irish he will fold you watch. You don't think he would?
Old Sep 15th 2021, 10:58 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

if the irish american lobbies threaten to turn against Biden because of the ban against the Irish he will fold you watch. You don't think he would?

You are living in the past. Not even Boston is controlled by the Irish pols these days.
Old Sep 15th 2021, 10:58 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

I will say if Chuck Schumer hasn't persuaded Biden (and previously Trump) to reopen the US/Canada land border, I think the UK may have a bit of a wait, Schumer is a pretty high ranking member of congress of the same party, and well Canada is a pretty important partner to the US with pressure being applied by the Canadian government with no success so far, not sure if its been extended into October though, nobody ever thought Canada would be the one opening their border first but surprise surprise.

Keeping Canada land border closed but opening up UK travel might also create a little political friction with Canada, and well Canada is next door and probably overall a more important partner in the big picture.
Old Sep 15th 2021, 11:16 pm
Banned

You ability to tell us what is going on in the head of POTUS is outstanding. Tell me another.

He doesn't know himself he has got dementia or something along those lines. He is on very good medicine I am sure but he has got something. He is not the man he was at the start of his run when he was the front runner at the very start when he first declared. He has lost a step.
Old Sep 15th 2021, 11:42 pm
Just Joined

Evidently not much is going on in his head. He can't even recall the name of the Australian Prime Minister (go to 20:39):

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.