Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

What have u cut back on/cancelled in light of the economic situation!

What have u cut back on/cancelled in light of the economic situation!

Old Feb 11th 2009, 12:09 am
Queen of my house

tamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What have u cut back on/cancelled in light of the economic situation!

[QUOTE=clarissageo;7272074]
Originally Posted by ChocolateBabz

I try to plan meals out for at least 3 weeks when I go shopping - We've cut the kids back from having sandwiches and hot dogs etc on a lunchtime to having either mac & cheese ($3.99 for 5 boxes = 5 lunches) or just pot noodles (the cheap ones at 28c each)..... Its far from ideal but when they were eating at least 2 hot dogs each, and a pack of hot dogs at $2.50 was only covering us for one lunch, and that was before the rolls at $1.78, it soon saves a few $...... plus, when they are playing out they just want *something* in their tummies, they don't care as long as they are filled.

We've started shopping just smarter really - instead of paying $9 for 4 fresh chicken breasts, we'll pay $6.99 for a bag of frozen ones and get 6 in a bag - they taste exactly the same, and most of the time they are bigger as well, so instead of ending up with each of us having two, and forking out $18, one is enough, then I do a big pile of Mashed potato with it (Russets are $2.78 for a 10lb bag at our Walmart, and I use half a bag for 5 of us) with some stuffing and some corn and peas.

For other meals we'll get the stuff that I consider Junk food - Banquet Chicken breast patties are not too bad, and we'll have those in a roll with some fries, or we'll get the little pot pies that are 68c each and do the mash again with some corn - at least once a week we'll have grilled cheese with tomato soup, and we'll also throw some $1.08 pizza's in on one day. A tube of ground beef at $7 will see us through two meals of spaghetti along with a supersize tub of prego and the cheapest spaghetti I can find on the shelves.

Normally by the end of the first 3 weeks things are starting to run low, and that's when I 'throw' things together to clear down the freezer and get rid of the odds and sods that are left.

We've never had a time where the kids have complained about being hungry. They've said that they miss steak (spoilt brats!) and I hate the fact that they are not getting at least two fresh veg a day, but they all understand that things are tight right now, and we still have treats like cookies and biscuits on a weekend.

One thing that I do, that everyone who comes to our house comments on, is I have a dry wipe board stuck on my fridge, with days of the week written on it - each day I write down what we are having to eat that night, so there is normally at least 2-3 weeks of meals written up. It saves me just going to the freezer and cooking whatever I come across first, and has helped me stick to my budget. I also write on my calender what day we went shopping, and how much the bill was - that way I can see it right in front of me how long the food has lasted. Right now we're on week 4 and we'll need to go shopping on Friday, but at a push we could manage through to Monday of next week if needed.
I think you would be a great asset to a company trying to "trim the fat" during these hard times. You have a great talent that many people do not...you're a great manager of everything. You should put that in your resume.
Old Feb 11th 2009, 12:15 am
Queen of my house

tamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What have u cut back on/cancelled in light of the economic situation!

Originally Posted by cindyabs
We only ever buy meat marked down, otherwise..........

It's the pet stuff that pumps up our bill-treats for Geordie Pup the Wonder Pup, and the neighbor's dogs.

Reading Clarissa's posts make me think of a book I bough some years ago, The Tightwad Gazette and now since the library book sales last fall, I have the sequel. There are people out there with good sized families that DO make it work.
My stepdad's dad (91 this past Dec.) lives w/mom and stepdad. He goes shopping many days alone while mom/dad are at work and he has always bought meat this way. He and my parents do not need to scrimp but he's been through the Depression and has never changed his habits since.
Old Feb 11th 2009, 12:26 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond repute

Okay - here's my recession yummy CHEAP meal!

A dollop of Palak's curry paste (the jarred kind)
A can of chickpeas
A can of diced tomatoes
Onion, chopped

Brown the onion a bit, add everything else and cook until the chickpeas have softened a bit. Serve with a spoonful of sour cream on top.

It's a low calorie, CHEAP, tasty meal.
Old Feb 11th 2009, 12:51 am
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tamms_1965
My stepdad's dad (91 this past Dec.) lives w/mom and stepdad. He goes shopping many days alone while mom/dad are at work and he has always bought meat this way. He and my parents do not need to scrimp but he's been through the Depression and has never changed his habits since.
THAT whole depression era generation (now sadly dying off), could teach us a thing or two about getting by.

It may sound corny but there's some of that spirit in A Tree Grows in Brooklyn. It takes place in the early 1900s, talking about the poor at that time, but using your imagination to make something out of nothing and doing without or toughing it out is not without its rewards is one of the lessons there.
Old Feb 11th 2009, 12:55 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ray
I cut Sanchez 's wages ... and increased his hours
now he can spend longer doing nothing and
getting paid less for it ..
My guys will have to go - they do nothing and are not even good-looking
My garden's tiny and I will easily be able to do it myself.

Charter cable just put up their prices a lot so that has to be looked at.

Probably stop the gym and just walk.
Old Feb 11th 2009, 12:59 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by clarissageo
We've cut our shopping bill by 50%, we're down to $200 a month for 5 of us (full time) and 8 of us (on weekends)...
That is amazing.
Old Feb 11th 2009, 1:13 am
BE Forum Addict

sambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cindyabs
THAT whole depression era generation (now sadly dying off), could teach us a thing or two about getting by.

It may sound corny but there's some of that spirit in A Tree Grows in Brooklyn. It takes place in the early 1900s, talking about the poor at that time, but using your imagination to make something out of nothing and doing without or toughing it out is not without its rewards is one of the lessons there.
My nanny tells me wonderful stories about raising 11 children in Dublin, in the 40's, 50's and 60's. Times were very tough.. but no one had any money, so no one really felt deprived. Thats just how it was. She told me that she sometimes had to pawn my Grandads good suit on a Monday just to get food, and then go and get it back on a Friday (payday) in time for him to wear it to the pub! They had a 3 bedroom small house with no bathroom. She made all their clothes. She feels more sorry for todays generation, she thinks that the pressures on us to have *stuff* is much much greater than it ever was in her day. She says people helped eachother much more... it was a much simpler life, but a wonderful one all the same.
Old Feb 11th 2009, 1:23 am
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=tamms_1965;7272863]
Originally Posted by clarissageo

I think you would be a great asset to a company trying to "trim the fat" during these hard times. You have a great talent that many people do not...you're a great manager of everything. You should put that in your resume.
I'll say,
Old Feb 11th 2009, 1:33 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
I don't consider it doom and gloom to reign in spending that is marginal anyway,
This has been a bit of a conflict for me, but I am hoping that it is an attachment to the known way of doing things instead of wanton greediness from me (just going to riff off your post here for a minute, this isn't an answer to your post per se).

I've been doing some reading about this crisis being an opportunity for us to change our context as a society. I guess just reading samba's last post about the good ole days & DH & I reminiscing about similar.. but what if?
What if we didn't buy things just because we could? What if we changed our relationship with money somewhat?

Now obviously I'm not talking about basics and essentials, but isn't it OK, good even, to become aware, and cut out the things that are just using us up? TV is a good one.. I've always felt a little bit tight because I won't have the premium channels, but I don't watch them! It made me feel better to see those of you who cut it out because you weren't even using it.

When you think about the energy (physical + emotional) that it takes you to raise the $$ for these items, do you ever think: Is this really a fair trade off? Or is it a habit?

My conflict is that one of my main income generators is helping retail businesses, and of course, we're all about getting you to buy more *stuff*.

What we're doing is a little bit different.. we're making a more concerted effort to shop from locally owned businesses even if it means the price point is a little higher or it's a little less convenient to get to. I'd rather do without a couple/few things and keep my local people in business.

I've also given up the hooch, but that was half money, half calories. :curse:

/woowoo
Old Feb 11th 2009, 1:37 am
BE Forum Addict

bevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ironporer
We have stopped flushing the toilet so much...two pee's= one flush.

And Toilet paper does seem such a waste. I have directed Mrs IP to use wash cloths, and wash them out by hand instead of the washing machine.

After all...I am already smoking generic fags and drinking cheap wine.

Almost forgot- no more T-Bones or Ribeyes...only Sirloins.
I saw a toilet at Sams Club which had two different flushes for pee and pooh as a way of saving water, it was about $100. My OH is now recommending them when he installs toilets.

One of my sons friends said his mother told him "If it's yellow let it mellow, if it's brown flush it down."
Old Feb 11th 2009, 2:10 am
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
My garden's tiny and I will easily be able to do it myself.
Thank God !! it was overgrown last time you mentioned it
Old Feb 11th 2009, 3:06 am
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mallory
So many people dropping cable channels, Dish TV, not going to restaurants, dropping land lines or cells. Think of the millions of other people doing that - and think of the restaurants going bankrupt, wait staff/chefs unemployed, cable TV and phone peeps laid off. It's all bad for the economy. Unless you are laid off, it's better for the economy to keep on spending as you were. It helps others keep their jobs. Go on a cruise, and help people like Cindy stay in a job. Doom and gloom is bad.
I know your intention is good but if people do as you say, they will be in debt in no time and probably rack up debt on credit cards.

Those every same people whose jobs you think you'll be saving are doing the same to cut back on spending just as those others who are dropping cable channels, Dish network, etc...
Old Feb 11th 2009, 3:08 am
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kaffy Mintcake
Okay - here's my recession yummy CHEAP meal!

A dollop of Palak's curry paste (the jarred kind)
A can of chickpeas
A can of diced tomatoes
Onion, chopped

Brown the onion a bit, add everything else and cook until the chickpeas have softened a bit. Serve with a spoonful of sour cream on top.

It's a low calorie, CHEAP, tasty meal.
It's also lacking in protein so you'll probably be hungry a few hours after eating it. I would serve one boiled egg per person to go with that.
Old Feb 11th 2009, 4:19 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Ray
Thank God !! it was overgrown last time you mentioned it
It had a badly-hacked privet hedge.
Old Feb 11th 2009, 4:25 am
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
It had a badly-hacked privet hedge.
That was it ...lol....

Anyway who is going to give up their internet connection...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.