Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

What have u cut back on/cancelled in light of the economic situation!

What have u cut back on/cancelled in light of the economic situation!

Old Feb 9th 2009, 7:12 pm
Dark side the moon

craigyjac is just really nicecraigyjac is just really nicecraigyjac is just really nicecraigyjac is just really nicecraigyjac is just really nicecraigyjac is just really nicecraigyjac is just really nicecraigyjac is just really nice
Default Re: What have u cut back on/cancelled in light of the economic situation!

Just stopped feeding the dogs, saves a fortune.

Seriously, hardly any nights out, no more sky sports and if i had my way, postponing the wedding.
apparently things aren't that tight.
Old Feb 9th 2009, 7:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

hobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What have u cut back on/cancelled in light of the economic situation!

Originally Posted by neil
Why cut back unless you have to? Seriously, the $10 a month I'd save by cutting a movie channel out of my cable bill isn't going to mean anything if I lose my job. If we spend less then more people are going to lose their jobs surely?
I kinda had the same thought, but came to the conclusion we need to cut back to make sure we could get something into savings. And it's frustrating, but I could only really find small things, but they really do add up. Doing those 3 things and a few other odds and sods has probably saved us about $200/month.

So hardly a fortune, but that's money I can put in savings account. In a handful of months, that's a mortgage payment...
Old Feb 9th 2009, 7:23 pm
You aint seen me, right?

SpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by craigyjac
apparently things aren't that tight.
Better to find that out now than to wait until the wedding night
Old Feb 9th 2009, 7:32 pm
Dark side the moon

craigyjac is just really nicecraigyjac is just really nicecraigyjac is just really nicecraigyjac is just really nicecraigyjac is just really nicecraigyjac is just really nicecraigyjac is just really nicecraigyjac is just really nice

Originally Posted by SpoogleDrummer
Better to find that out now than to wait until the wedding night
Ha ha, i bloody asked for that.
Old Feb 9th 2009, 7:52 pm
Not here much

neil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hobbes79
I kinda had the same thought, but came to the conclusion we need to cut back to make sure we could get something into savings. And it's frustrating, but I could only really find small things, but they really do add up. Doing those 3 things and a few other odds and sods has probably saved us about $200/month.

So hardly a fortune, but that's money I can put in savings account. In a handful of months, that's a mortgage payment...
I guess different things prompt people into doing this sort of thing. For us it was moving into a house (and finding lots of things we want to do to it) and having a kid; I doubt I would be doing anything different just because of the current economy.

With the interest rate so low saving hardly seems worth it now. That's the most annoying thing to me. I'm just plowing a lot of money into things we want to do for the house.
Old Feb 9th 2009, 7:55 pm

chartreuse is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by neil
plowing
Surely "ploughing"? Or is this that going native that I've heard about?
Old Feb 9th 2009, 8:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

Deedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond repute

it might only be 10 a month .. buts its 120 a year.

And i am not saving persay. However i am getting the stuff in the house sorted out now rather than putting it off for later. And it might be pennies but its the pennies that add up. And i cant afford to be wasteful anymore. We had movies on our uverse for 12 months and watched 3 movies. thats stupid.
Old Feb 9th 2009, 8:26 pm
Not here much

neil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chartreuse
Surely "ploughing"? Or is this that going native that I've heard about?
I did wonder when I wrote it. I can honestly say I don't think I've ever had cause to write the phrase down before and I was in a rush so didn't bother looking it up.
Old Feb 9th 2009, 8:32 pm
Chocoholic !

ChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond repute

I have cut back on sex - and instead spend my time roaming the house pulling adapters and chargers out of walls to save on electricity

Let's see if hubby still complains when I leave my charger plugged in that I am single handedly using all the electric !!!
Old Feb 9th 2009, 8:46 pm
Maño-Americano

ironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond repute

We have stopped flushing the toilet so much...two pee's= one flush.

And Toilet paper does seem such a waste. I have directed Mrs IP to use wash cloths, and wash them out by hand instead of the washing machine.

After all...I am already smoking generic fags and drinking cheap wine.

Almost forgot- no more T-Bones or Ribeyes...only Sirloins.
Old Feb 9th 2009, 8:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

Bill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chartreuse
Surely "ploughing"?
What's a pluff?
Old Feb 9th 2009, 9:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

I haven't really cut back on anything, but I have postponed some expenditure.

For example I had been planning for a long time to have one of the bathrooms remodeled which could, if I had got a contractor in to do it and done everything that I wanted, easily have cost over $10,000. In the end I decided that if I repainted it, retiled the floor and replaced the toilet along with a few other minor cosmetic upgrades I could live with it for another couple of years the way it is, so that is what I did. Probably spent about $600 on materials and did it myself over Christmas and NewYear.
Old Feb 9th 2009, 10:19 pm

chartreuse is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by md95065
For example I had been planning for a long time to have one of the bathrooms remodeled which could, if I had got a contractor in to do it and done everything that I wanted, easily have cost over $10,000. In the end I decided that if I repainted it, retiled the floor and replaced the toilet along with a few other minor cosmetic upgrades I could live with it for another couple of years the way it is, so that is what I did. Probably spent about $600 on materials and did it myself over Christmas and NewYear.
That's not economising. That's having fun!
Old Feb 9th 2009, 10:57 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by md95065
I haven't really cut back on anything, but I have postponed some expenditure.

We've got one bath that could use some fixing up. Why don't you come on over, eh?
Old Feb 9th 2009, 11:33 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

I only do 2 lines of Charlie a day now.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.