Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

What have u cut back on/cancelled in light of the economic situation!

What have u cut back on/cancelled in light of the economic situation!

Old Feb 10th 2009, 6:23 pm
Last orders please...

lisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What have u cut back on/cancelled in light of the economic situation!

Originally Posted by sambapink
Oh I totally agree.. I love cooking from scratch.. but many times I have gone out and bought ingredients for a meal and it would have been cheaper to eat out. I'm wondering if buying meat in bulk (costco?) and freezing would work out cheaper. I bought staple stuff in Walmart the other day (first time to do so - no aversion to Walmart just never thought about it before) anyway, some stuff.. i.e. ketchup was alot cheaper. Our grocery bill is aleast $300+ a week.. thats just gotta stop!!
buying bulk from Costco works great as long as you have enough space in your freezer (or an extra one in your garage) and you remember to pull the meat out the night before..

but your right, buying separate indgredients does add up..and I have to admit it really gets my goat, I have all these cookbooks that I love using but now I check the ingredients list and if its not in my cupboard then it doesn't get made till the following week when I make my supermarket run..to walmart or target..

I now also make DD's lunch as they've raised their prices here as well, last year it was only $1.20 for lunch and they had a great and healthy selection to choose from, now the price has gone up to $1.90 and its all crap junk on the menu, like pizza, chicken nuggets and taco's..
Old Feb 10th 2009, 6:26 pm
Just Joined

Millicent_ByStander will become famous soon enough
Default Re: What have u cut back on/cancelled in light of the economic situation!

1. Cancelled DirectTV now receiving free local channels via aerial
2. Got rid of land line phone
(Both of above we were considering doing anyway )
3. Not eating out so much

Also, postponing booking summer vacation for a couple of months....just in case
Old Feb 10th 2009, 7:51 pm
Dizzy Blonde

clarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=ChocolateBabz;7270739]
Originally Posted by clarissageo
We've cut our shopping bill by 50%, we're down to $200 a month for 5 of usQUOTE]

Can you come shopping with me and show me how to do it. I am spending at least $150 per week for 3 of us and we are eating out once or twice on top of that

Agree with you though that somehow processed junk ends up cheaper than healthier fresh foods. My shopping bill is always 25% more when I go on a health kick and fill up the trolley with fruit & veg.
I try to plan meals out for at least 3 weeks when I go shopping - We've cut the kids back from having sandwiches and hot dogs etc on a lunchtime to having either mac & cheese ($3.99 for 5 boxes = 5 lunches) or just pot noodles (the cheap ones at 28c each)..... Its far from ideal but when they were eating at least 2 hot dogs each, and a pack of hot dogs at $2.50 was only covering us for one lunch, and that was before the rolls at $1.78, it soon saves a few $...... plus, when they are playing out they just want *something* in their tummies, they don't care as long as they are filled.

We've started shopping just smarter really - instead of paying $9 for 4 fresh chicken breasts, we'll pay $6.99 for a bag of frozen ones and get 6 in a bag - they taste exactly the same, and most of the time they are bigger as well, so instead of ending up with each of us having two, and forking out $18, one is enough, then I do a big pile of Mashed potato with it (Russets are $2.78 for a 10lb bag at our Walmart, and I use half a bag for 5 of us) with some stuffing and some corn and peas.

For other meals we'll get the stuff that I consider Junk food - Banquet Chicken breast patties are not too bad, and we'll have those in a roll with some fries, or we'll get the little pot pies that are 68c each and do the mash again with some corn - at least once a week we'll have grilled cheese with tomato soup, and we'll also throw some $1.08 pizza's in on one day. A tube of ground beef at $7 will see us through two meals of spaghetti along with a supersize tub of prego and the cheapest spaghetti I can find on the shelves.

Normally by the end of the first 3 weeks things are starting to run low, and that's when I 'throw' things together to clear down the freezer and get rid of the odds and sods that are left.

We've never had a time where the kids have complained about being hungry. They've said that they miss steak (spoilt brats!) and I hate the fact that they are not getting at least two fresh veg a day, but they all understand that things are tight right now, and we still have treats like cookies and biscuits on a weekend.

One thing that I do, that everyone who comes to our house comments on, is I have a dry wipe board stuck on my fridge, with days of the week written on it - each day I write down what we are having to eat that night, so there is normally at least 2-3 weeks of meals written up. It saves me just going to the freezer and cooking whatever I come across first, and has helped me stick to my budget. I also write on my calender what day we went shopping, and how much the bill was - that way I can see it right in front of me how long the food has lasted. Right now we're on week 4 and we'll need to go shopping on Friday, but at a push we could manage through to Monday of next week if needed.
Old Feb 10th 2009, 7:53 pm
In the pink

Mallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond repute

So many people dropping cable channels, Dish TV, not going to restaurants, dropping land lines or cells. Think of the millions of other people doing that - and think of the restaurants going bankrupt, wait staff/chefs unemployed, cable TV and phone peeps laid off. It's all bad for the economy. Unless you are laid off, it's better for the economy to keep on spending as you were. It helps others keep their jobs. Go on a cruise, and help people like Cindy stay in a job. Doom and gloom is bad.
Old Feb 10th 2009, 8:01 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by clarissageo
They've said that they miss steak (spoilt brats!)
The steak thing is one thing I just can't interfere with around here (tho he is finally slowing down on his own). DH has a red meat problem, IMO, but it's his gut for now. He has been perfectly happy cruising the bargain section of the meat counter for the stuff they mark down because the sell date is coming up. He splits them out into 'portions' (ginormous) and freezes them. He's super picky about freshness, so if it works for him, maybe others?

We still have a laugh over the $15 piece of halibut from the fancy store.. he *was* going to eat it in one go til he saw the receipt & guilt made him split it up!

Have to say; I'm finding this thread fascinating.

Originally Posted by Mallory
Go on a cruise, and help people like Cindy stay in a job. Doom and gloom is bad.
Agree.
And contact me if you are having trouble finding a $300 handbag that is worth your time; I'll hook you up.
Old Feb 10th 2009, 8:38 pm
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by meauxna
The steak thing is one thing I just can't interfere with around here (tho he is finally slowing down on his own). DH has a red meat problem, IMO, but it's his gut for now. He has been perfectly happy cruising the bargain section of the meat counter for the stuff they mark down because the sell date is coming up. He splits them out into 'portions' (ginormous) and freezes them. He's super picky about freshness, so if it works for him, maybe others?

We still have a laugh over the $15 piece of halibut from the fancy store.. he *was* going to eat it in one go til he saw the receipt & guilt made him split it up!

Have to say; I'm finding this thread fascinating.

Agree.
And contact me if you are having trouble finding a $300 handbag that is worth your time; I'll hook you up.
We only ever buy meat marked down, otherwise..........

It's the pet stuff that pumps up our bill-treats for Geordie Pup the Wonder Pup, and the neighbor's dogs.

Reading Clarissa's posts make me think of a book I bough some years ago, The Tightwad Gazette and now since the library book sales last fall, I have the sequel. There are people out there with good sized families that DO make it work.
Old Feb 10th 2009, 8:42 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Bar-B-Q'd Armadillo

1 armadillo
~ bacon grease
~ 1 cup butter
~ 1/2 cup ketchup
~ 1/2 cup grated onion
~ 2 tbsp mustard
~ tabasco to taste
OR
use your favorite BBQ sauce

In a sauce pan, combine the butter, ketchup, onion, mustard and tabasco. Heat over low heat until the butter is melted. Stir occasionally.

Rub bacon grease into the armadillo.

Grill over a hot fire for 5 minutes.

Reduce the fire by half.

Baste the meat with the sauce until done. Armadillo is cooked like pork.

Serve and Enjoy!
Old Feb 10th 2009, 8:51 pm
Knight Templar

tomarense has a brilliant futuretomarense has a brilliant futuretomarense has a brilliant futuretomarense has a brilliant futuretomarense has a brilliant futuretomarense has a brilliant future

Tomorrow!!! Because if I waken up dead, I won't have to worry.
Old Feb 10th 2009, 8:59 pm
Last orders please...

lisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond repute

So many people dropping cable channels, Dish TV, not going to restaurants, dropping land lines or cells. Think of the millions of other people doing that - and think of the restaurants going bankrupt, wait staff/chefs unemployed, cable TV and phone peeps laid off. It's all bad for the economy. Unless you are laid off, it's better for the economy to keep on spending as you were. It helps others keep their jobs. Go on a cruise, and help people like Cindy stay in a job. Doom and gloom is bad.
oh I understand completely, but when you take a 30% paycut, what else is the best thing to do...
Old Feb 10th 2009, 8:59 pm
In the pink

Mallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond repute

Somehow, I just can't picture Clarissa serving up barbequed Armadillo!
Old Feb 10th 2009, 9:02 pm
In the pink

Originally Posted by lisag8070
oh I understand completely, but when you take a 30% paycut, what else is the best thing to do...
yeah, that's bad. I really meant if you aren't affected moneywise. We were in a nice restaurant the other day, and you could feel the gloom in the air with wait staff having nothing to do. It really brought it home to me how we all depend on each other for support in bad times.
Old Feb 10th 2009, 9:28 pm
Last orders please...

yeah, that's bad. I really meant if you aren't affected moneywise. We were in a nice restaurant the other day, and you could feel the gloom in the air with wait staff having nothing to do. It really brought it home to me how we all depend on each other for support in bad times.
oh trust me if we weren't affected money wise I would consider it an honor to help prop up the economy..
Old Feb 10th 2009, 11:05 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

I don't consider it doom and gloom to reign in spending that is marginal anyway, particularly if you think there is a significant prospect of diminished income or unemployment down the road. The brutal reality is that in the US there is very little social safety net for the unemployed, and planning for such an eventuality makes an awful lot of sense. So my take is not to stop spending, but to take a long hard look at monthly outgoings (I dropped cable channels I really never watched anyway and probably shouldhave cancelled a while ago), spend within one's budget (particularly for eating out), and spend out of current income rather than on a credit card.
Old Feb 10th 2009, 11:26 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond repute

The biggest thing we're probably doing, is consciously focusing on building our emergency fund. You know, the one that's supposed to last 3 to 6 months if your income drops out?

We do enjoy our wine and picked up a lot of "two buck chuck" which really costs $3.33 a bottle at our local Trader Joe's.

Beyond that, we probably haven't changed too much, but we were already paying off credit cards every month, etc. If the $h*t hits the fan (possible) we'll cut further.

What stinks is that the deals out there are fantastic for those who aren't worried about their job security.
Old Feb 11th 2009, 12:06 am
Queen of my house

tamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lisag8070
buying bulk from Costco works great as long as you have enough space in your freezer (or an extra one in your garage) and you remember to pull the meat out the night before..

but your right, buying separate indgredients does add up..and I have to admit it really gets my goat, I have all these cookbooks that I love using but now I check the ingredients list and if its not in my cupboard then it doesn't get made till the following week when I make my supermarket run..to walmart or target..

I now also make DD's lunch as they've raised their prices here as well, last year it was only $1.20 for lunch and they had a great and healthy selection to choose from, now the price has gone up to $1.90 and its all crap junk on the menu, like pizza, chicken nuggets and taco's..
I've learned through years of cooking that you can often "wing it" when it comes to recipes (except for baked goods). I love to cook but don't like too many ingredients on work nights so I manage to whip up a lot of things with staples plus fresh meat and veggies. I've learned to like and cook seaonal veggies because they do not cost as much and they taste better. I make a lot of grilled foods to simplify also. If I do not have fresh meat I get it out of the freezer the night before and put it in the fridge. If I forget, I make something with mince or have a meatless dish.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.