Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

What have u cut back on/cancelled in light of the economic situation!

What have u cut back on/cancelled in light of the economic situation!

Old Feb 12th 2009, 12:56 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What have u cut back on/cancelled in light of the economic situation!

Originally Posted by bevinva
chickpeas have protein
Yes they do - 12 grams per cup for canned chickpeas I just read.
Old Feb 12th 2009, 10:22 am

chartreuse is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: What have u cut back on/cancelled in light of the economic situation!

Originally Posted by NC Penguin
I was shocked yesterday at my restaurant when a 20 something woman purchased over $20.00 worth of food and drink for herself for dinner. It wasn't just the cost that astonished me but also the quantity of food and drink that she'd ordered. I couldn't believe she could consume so much.
We were in a Cheescake Factory one time, when the chap at the next table ordered the pot pie. This *huge* thing arrived, surprising the chap as much as us and much hilarity ensued when I exclaimed "It's an affront to God and man!"
Old Feb 12th 2009, 11:26 am
Queen of my house

tamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chartreuse
We were in a Cheescake Factory one time, when the chap at the next table ordered the pot pie. This *huge* thing arrived, surprising the chap as much as us and much hilarity ensued when I exclaimed "It's an affront to God and man!"
And their portions are so large! One of the first places DH went to went he started visiting me here before we were married was the local CF. He thought he had to eat everything on his plate, because that was what he was used to back home. I tried to explain to him that it was acceptable here to take a box home, but he couldn't do it. He was miserable afterwards and couldn't enjoy the browse in the book shop across the street, but lesson learned.
Old Feb 12th 2009, 1:46 pm
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tamms_1965
And their portions are so large! One of the first places DH went to went he started visiting me here before we were married was the local CF. He thought he had to eat everything on his plate, because that was what he was used to back home. I tried to explain to him that it was acceptable here to take a box home, but he couldn't do it. He was miserable afterwards and couldn't enjoy the browse in the book shop across the street, but lesson learned.
Back in the day, when I was young and didn't know any better, I used to rather turn up my nose at my ex's mother, who always traveled with little Tupperware containers when we went out to eat. She could and did make a lunch for she and her husband from the restaurant leftovers. Another product of growing up during the Depression she was, and I KNOW that she had it tough as a kid.

I don't turn up my nose anymore.
Old Feb 12th 2009, 2:13 pm

chartreuse is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by tamms_1965
And their portions are so large!
Mind, if you think CF's portions are huge, just wait until one of the Seattle-ites on here comes along to tell us all about Claim Jumper's!
Old Feb 12th 2009, 2:25 pm
Unmitigated Gall

another bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond repute

I am trading two of my guns for a new one instead of keeping the two and paying cash for the new one.
Old Feb 12th 2009, 2:27 pm
Unmitigated Gall

another bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kaffy Mintcake
Okay - here's my recession yummy CHEAP meal!

A dollop of Palak's curry paste (the jarred kind)
A can of chickpeas
A can of diced tomatoes
Onion, chopped

Brown the onion a bit, add everything else and cook until the chickpeas have softened a bit. Serve with a spoonful of sour cream on top.

It's a low calorie, CHEAP, tasty meal.
That sounds horrible.
Old Feb 12th 2009, 2:50 pm
In the pink

Mallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond repute

Gas scale for beans,

http://www.freedomyou.com/recipes/beans.htm

just in case you need to know.
Old Feb 12th 2009, 10:59 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by another bloody yank
That sounds horrible.
Thanks a lot! If you like Indian food, it's good eating.

Forgot that you hail from rural Missouri ... should I pass you a teriyaki chipmunk instead?
Old Feb 12th 2009, 11:02 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by cindyabs
Back in the day, when I was young and didn't know any better, I used to rather turn up my nose at my ex's mother, who always traveled with little Tupperware containers when we went out to eat. She could and did make a lunch for she and her husband from the restaurant leftovers. Another product of growing up during the Depression she was, and I KNOW that she had it tough as a kid.

I don't turn up my nose anymore.
That reminds me of a friend of mine who is Indian. Her father used to take anything, no matter how small, home after eating out. As a child it embarassed her.

She went to India with him a few years ago. After they had dinner together at a restaurant he wrapped up a small amount of leftovers as usual. When they left he proceeded to hand them to a hungry man who was sitting outside the restaurant. He gratefully accepted them. She then understood where her father's behavior had originated.
Old Feb 13th 2009, 4:43 am

anabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mallory
Gas scale for beans,

http://www.freedomyou.com/recipes/beans.htm

just in case you need to know.
You lot have them for breakfast!
Old Feb 13th 2009, 7:09 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

I dropped my home phone, cell phone, got rid of the car and its associated costs, dropped cable to basic (can't get anything without at least basic.)

I kept my internet as well.

If things get worse I will drop the cable. But have to keep the internet since its the way I communicate and bank, and pay bills.

I've pretty much cut everything I can.
Old Feb 13th 2009, 8:41 am
gurt mint nit?

Xebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Deedee13
Just curious where your cutting back on in light of the economic situation and the ............. wheeler brand new for a deal that "hubby" couldnt say no to One mans loss another ones gain! The dealerships are hurting - so he jumped at it.
Cancelled verizon wireless and bought two tracfones instead.
Saves ~$120 / mo right there.

Stopped using plastic and also the bankcard, now I use only cash in $10's - the wallet seems fuller that way and purchases tend to be more limited.
Old Feb 13th 2009, 10:41 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

We've cut back on eating out quite dramatically. We used to eat out maybe 4 nights a week at restaurants, now maybe 1-2 times; the other 3 nights we pretty much lived on prepared meals from Whole Foods or leftovers. It's coinciding with a 'get healthy' push we are on so I'm really enjoying it - we are getting into Halibut, Red Snapper, Orange Roughey, and some REALLY good salads.

We've always been big on 'doggie bags' - when we eat out, we purposefully order 'extra' so we can take a lot home for more meals. EG, at an Indian restaurant we may order three dishes instead of two, eat some of all three, and take half of each dish home. At our local pizza place, we'll order a pizza, a pasta dish, and a salad, and take home half the pizza and half the pasta. When I have visitors from UK, they are surprised but to me, now, it is so incredibly logical.

I'm also not renewing some magazine subscriptions ...
Old Feb 13th 2009, 1:15 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steerpike
we are getting into Halibut, Red Snapper, Orange Roughey, and some REALLY good salads. ...
from wiki

In recent years, the consumption of orange roughy has risen drastically due to increased supply through previously impossible deep-sea trawling techniques. Its recovery rate from fishing is slow because of its life cycle and sporadic reproduction making the fish incredibly prone to overfishing. It is the first commercially sought fish to be added to Australia's list of endangered species because of overfishing. [3] According to sustainable seafood guides, such as Seafood Watch (USA), the Royal Forest and Bird Protection Society of New Zealand [4], the Marine Conservation Society (UK), [5], the orange roughy is currently on the list of fish that consumers should avoid the most.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.