Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

What is the difference between the US North & South mentality?

What is the difference between the US North & South mentality?

Old Feb 2nd 2008, 2:03 pm
In yonder hills

britex01 has a reputation beyond reputebritex01 has a reputation beyond reputebritex01 has a reputation beyond reputebritex01 has a reputation beyond reputebritex01 has a reputation beyond reputebritex01 has a reputation beyond reputebritex01 has a reputation beyond reputebritex01 has a reputation beyond reputebritex01 has a reputation beyond reputebritex01 has a reputation beyond reputebritex01 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What is the difference between the US North & South mentality?

Finally.... After screwing up my puter a few hours after I posted this Thread, the drat thing is up and running again, so now I'm catching up on the reponse posts.

Some interesting comments here from north and south... Please keep 'em coming! ...

---
Old Feb 2nd 2008, 2:31 pm
Banned

Desdemona has a reputation beyond reputeDesdemona has a reputation beyond reputeDesdemona has a reputation beyond reputeDesdemona has a reputation beyond reputeDesdemona has a reputation beyond reputeDesdemona has a reputation beyond reputeDesdemona has a reputation beyond reputeDesdemona has a reputation beyond reputeDesdemona has a reputation beyond reputeDesdemona has a reputation beyond reputeDesdemona has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by britex01
Finally.... After screwing up my puter a few hours after I posted this Thread, the drat thing is up and running again, so now I'm catching up on the reponse posts.

Some interesting comments here from north and south... Please keep 'em coming! ...
---
Ah there you are
Old Feb 2nd 2008, 3:37 pm
Forum Regular

AngloDreamer is just really niceAngloDreamer is just really niceAngloDreamer is just really niceAngloDreamer is just really niceAngloDreamer is just really niceAngloDreamer is just really niceAngloDreamer is just really niceAngloDreamer is just really niceAngloDreamer is just really niceAngloDreamer is just really niceAngloDreamer is just really nice

My good friend she lives in South West NC near the foothills of the Blue Ridge. Lenoir and Hickory are the nearest towns of any significance. Is this the Old South or as a mobil guide puts it a mid Atlantic State ?
Don't think she can categorize it herself but she thinks of herself as a true southerner whatever that means.
Also if it is a mid Atlantic State why has she got one of the deepest Southern accents I have ever heard (beautiful as it is and sexy too). Took a fair while to understand her.
Old Feb 2nd 2008, 3:39 pm
Riding on silver wings

ugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AngloDreamer
My good friend she lives in South West NC near the foothills of the Blue Ridge. Lenoir and Hickory are the nearest towns of any significance. Is this the Old South or as a mobil guide puts it a mid Atlantic State ?
Don't think she can categorize it herself but she thinks of herself as a true southerner whatever that means.
Also if it is a mid Atlantic State why has she got one of the deepest Southern accents I have ever heard (beautiful as it is and sexy too). Took a fair while to understand her.
It's definitely the south.
Old Feb 2nd 2008, 3:44 pm
Forum Regular

AngloDreamer is just really niceAngloDreamer is just really niceAngloDreamer is just really niceAngloDreamer is just really niceAngloDreamer is just really niceAngloDreamer is just really niceAngloDreamer is just really niceAngloDreamer is just really niceAngloDreamer is just really niceAngloDreamer is just really niceAngloDreamer is just really nice

Originally Posted by ugacrew
It's definitely the south.
Thanks .

Wow you are fast on the trigger

Was just about to leave.
Old Feb 2nd 2008, 3:44 pm
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

Interesting area that actually covers a fair few states.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Appalachia
Old Feb 2nd 2008, 4:14 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by cindyabs

Thanks for the link.

Has anyone read Bill Bryson's book titled 'A Walk in the Woods' ?
Or seen the film 2000 miles to Maine. (I can't get it on internet torrrents)

I don't want to get off topic but I believe it's a common thing on this site so don't berate me too much pleaze.
Old Feb 2nd 2008, 4:23 pm
In yonder hills

britex01 has a reputation beyond reputebritex01 has a reputation beyond reputebritex01 has a reputation beyond reputebritex01 has a reputation beyond reputebritex01 has a reputation beyond reputebritex01 has a reputation beyond reputebritex01 has a reputation beyond reputebritex01 has a reputation beyond reputebritex01 has a reputation beyond reputebritex01 has a reputation beyond reputebritex01 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the link.

Has anyone read Bill Bryson's book titled 'A Walk in the Woods' ?
Or seen the film 2000 miles to Maine. (I can't get it on internet torrrents)

I don't want to get off topic but I believe it's a common thing on this site so don't berate me too much pleaze.
So long as you don't go too long off topic! I'm the OP! .. ... You can, of course, create your own thread on the subject.

Btw... You're in Manchester, UK. What's you're interest in or connection with the United States?

---

Last edited by britex01; Feb 2nd 2008 at 4:27 pm.
Old Feb 2nd 2008, 4:25 pm
In yonder hills

Originally Posted by cindyabs

Interesting Link, Cindy... It's the first I've learnt of the Appalachia, in terms of area, anyway.

----
Old Feb 2nd 2008, 4:32 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond repute

---
The South never got over losing the Civil War.
Old Feb 2nd 2008, 4:42 pm
Forum Regular

So long as you don't go too long off topic! I'm the OP! .. ... You can, of course, create your own thread on the subject.

Btw... You're in Manchester, UK. What's you're interest in or connection with the United States?

---

Bit difficult to say at moment. Also none of your business really. I am not asking for help or advice, I can do that myself, no offence intended.
Got a female friend in NC.
Marriage - Green card etc, that is why I joined this site to get some perspectives and life decisions.
Difficult decisions. reading about all the bureaucracy in USA.
Might be easier and cheaper if she came here.
Old Feb 2nd 2008, 4:52 pm
In yonder hills

Originally Posted by KJ2007
The South never got over losing the Civil War.

Yeah, I've figured that! ... .... Rammed down my throat in Texas. Allegedly, tbe issue on slavery was only a veneer to disguise what was truly the north's 'oppression' of the south - the south's refusal to pay exorbitant taxes.

The battle flag is still alive in the Lone Star State...

----
Old Feb 2nd 2008, 5:04 pm
In yonder hills

Bit difficult to say at moment. Also none of your business really. I am not asking for help or advice, I can do that myself, no offence intended.
Got a female friend in NC.
Marriage - Green card etc, that is why I joined this site to get some perspectives and life decisions.
Difficult decisions. reading about all the bureaucracy in USA.
Might be easier and cheaper if she came here.
'None of my business' indeed, but it's quite customary here to ask newcomers as to interest and so on. This way, members have an idea how to identify with that newcomer. I had this myself. No problem. Btw, welcome to BE.

I'm like you... I hate all the red tape attached to US entry, but my Tex wife is good at it! ... ....

She tried living over here for about three years, broken with trips back to the States (all to do with family). Unless your US girlfriend is free of too great an attachment to folk in the States, she might find it difficult to settle as you would like her to settle in the UK. I base this thinking entirely on my own experience, of course.

Hope all works out fine...

----

Last edited by britex01; Feb 2nd 2008 at 5:06 pm.
Old Feb 2nd 2008, 6:20 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Tracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond repute

So how about families?

Equally close-knit north and south, or one more than the other?

Appears to me (while obviously all people are different) that there seems to be a tendency for southerners to be quite close to their families, and be involved in each others lives (grown children, sisters and brothers, etc.). Perhaps a bit more so than many northerners.
Old Feb 2nd 2008, 6:26 pm
Riding on silver wings

ugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tracym
So how about families?

Equally close-knit north and south, or one more than the other?

Appears to me (while obviously all people are different) that there seems to be a tendency for southerners to be quite close to their families, and be involved in each others lives (grown children, sisters and brothers, etc.). Perhaps a bit more so than many northerners.
You know I think that difference lies within how connected you are to your extended family. If you note, there seem to be more family reunions held in the south than up north. I also think that cultural background has more influence over family closeness. I know that families with a Mediterranean background seem very close no matter what part of the country you are in. Then there's also the dysfunctional family which can also be found regardless of where you are in the country.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.