Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

What is the difference between the US North & South mentality?

What is the difference between the US North & South mentality?

Old Feb 4th 2008, 1:11 pm
Riding on silver wings

ugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What is the difference between the US North & South mentality?

Originally Posted by diecast
I'm in Virginia.

We also recently failed to require background checks for people buying guns at gun shows, despite pressure from other States and despite the recent college massacre ("the guy didn't buy his guns at a gun show, so it's OK"). I believe I read that most guns used for crimes in New York were bought in Virginia.

My wife and I go to estate sales, and there are usually about 7-8 guns for each house that is cleared out. I'd hate to be a burglar here - the population is armed to the teeth!

By the way there's a huge difference between Northern VA (greater DC) and the rest of the State. We moved from SW VA (where the VA Tech massacre was) to near Dulles, and they're all Yankees here.

You should hear me say "y'all" with a British accent though. That's worth the trip.
Yo Diecast! You're livin' in what was my neck of the woods. You are so right about the description of it being different from the rest of the state. You can just feel it right before you get to the Beltway. Lemme know if you need any info on the area as far as where to go for things.
Old Feb 5th 2008, 2:09 am
Forum Regular

AngloDreamer is just really niceAngloDreamer is just really niceAngloDreamer is just really niceAngloDreamer is just really niceAngloDreamer is just really niceAngloDreamer is just really niceAngloDreamer is just really niceAngloDreamer is just really niceAngloDreamer is just really niceAngloDreamer is just really niceAngloDreamer is just really nice

Originally Posted by diecast
I'm in Virginia.

We also recently failed to require background checks for people buying guns at gun shows, despite pressure from other States and despite the recent college massacre ("the guy didn't buy his guns at a gun show, so it's OK"). I believe I read that most guns used for crimes in New York were bought in Virginia.

My wife and I go to estate sales, and there are usually about 7-8 guns for each house that is cleared out. I'd hate to be a burglar here - the population is armed to the teeth!

By the way there's a huge difference between Northern VA (greater DC) and the rest of the State. We moved from SW VA (where the VA Tech massacre was) to near Dulles, and they're all Yankees here.

http://www.cnn.com/SPECIALS/1998/schools/gun.control/

You should hear me say "y'all" with a British accent though. That's worth the trip.
http://www.cnn.com/SPECIALS/1998/schools/gun.control/
Old Mar 26th 2008, 11:45 am
Just Joined

CarleyGee is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm from Louisiana, and I have lived here my whole life. So this is coming from a Louisiana point of view on the culture and stuff from here.

-Southerners here only consider Louisiana, Alabama, Mississippi, and some of Georgia "southern".
We definitely don't consider almost all of Florida to be southern, some of Texas, but not really mentioned.

-Saying "You guys" is offensive to a lot of people, especially women. We prefer "y'all". We don't exactly like to be called men. Although I hear that up north people think it is funny when a southerner says "y'all", although it makes more sense.

-We do not pronounce the "g's" in verbs. Example : Running is Runnin

-We do not pronounce the "d" in and. We say "an"

-South Louisiana starts at where Louisiana goes into Mississippi.

-East Baton Rouge has a lot of ghetto and gangs. (There are serious fights in the public schools literally everyday where the police are called in often, occasionally with the canine unit.)

-Manners are very important, you're required to be polite, not matter who. You would still call your best friends older sister, "ma'am".

-Mud riding is a hobby, especially with the girls, which would sound strange.

-Alot of kids are taught how to handle guns at a young age. So I wouldn't be surprised to see that.

-Crawfish are called Crawfish, not Crayfish.

-Southerners tend to be shorter than northerners, not everyone, but a lot of people.

Almost everyone I've talked to dislikes northerners.

Louisiana also has a VERY large dropout rate, more than Puerto Rico, and one of the states in the TOP 10 murders.
Also one of the poorest states and obesity rate.

(Geez, it doesn't really sound like we top in anything good)

I'm still young, but this is what I've noticed as a difference in the north and south.

Originally Posted by KJ2007
The South never got over losing the Civil War.
Most people around here would strongly agree with that, a shame actually.

Last edited by CarleyGee; Mar 26th 2008 at 12:08 pm.
Old Mar 26th 2008, 2:13 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Tracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond repute

Hi and welcome to the forum. Interesting perspective, thanks for that. I'm a yank myself- but adored Louisiana.
Old Mar 26th 2008, 2:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

frrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond repute

I lived in NYC, now live in South Fl. Much slower service in the south, really really annoying in restaurants. Diner NYC, take a seat, 60 seconds later you have your coffee. Diner South (If you can find one), 20 minutes later, no coffee, & yet waiter/waitress is having a nice chat with the sheriff, the mailperson, the delivery guy, uncle tom cobley & all.
Patience is a must in the south, real slowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww.
Reg. Frank R.
Old Mar 26th 2008, 3:07 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by frrussre
I lived in NYC, now live in South Fl. Much slower service in the south, really really annoying in restaurants. Diner NYC, take a seat, 60 seconds later you have your coffee. Diner South (If you can find one), 20 minutes later, no coffee, & yet waiter/waitress is having a nice chat with the sheriff, the mailperson, the delivery guy, uncle tom cobley & all.
Patience is a must in the south, real slowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww.
Reg. Frank R.
when you don't have a job to go to, what's the rush?
Old Mar 26th 2008, 3:40 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Well I've been completely put off the idea of Louisiana
Old Mar 26th 2008, 5:47 pm
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CarleyGee
I'm from Louisiana, and I have lived here my whole life. So this is coming from a Louisiana point of view on the culture and stuff from here.

-Southerners here only consider Louisiana, Alabama, Mississippi, and some of Georgia "southern".
We definitely don't consider almost all of Florida to be southern, some of Texas, but not really mentioned.

-Saying "You guys" is offensive to a lot of people, especially women. We prefer "y'all". We don't exactly like to be called men. Although I hear that up north people think it is funny when a southerner says "y'all", although it makes more sense.

-We do not pronounce the "g's" in verbs. Example : Running is Runnin

-We do not pronounce the "d" in and. We say "an"

-South Louisiana starts at where Louisiana goes into Mississippi.

-East Baton Rouge has a lot of ghetto and gangs. (There are serious fights in the public schools literally everyday where the police are called in often, occasionally with the canine unit.)

-Manners are very important, you're required to be polite, not matter who. You would still call your best friends older sister, "ma'am".

-Mud riding is a hobby, especially with the girls, which would sound strange.

-Alot of kids are taught how to handle guns at a young age. So I wouldn't be surprised to see that.

-Southerners tend to be shorter than northerners, not everyone, but a lot of people.

Almost everyone I've talked to dislikes northerners.

Louisiana also has a VERY large dropout rate, more than Puerto Rico, and one of the states in the TOP 10 murders.
Also one of the poorest states and obesity rate.

(Geez, it doesn't really sound like we top in anything good)

I'm still young, but this is what I've noticed as a difference in the north and south.

Most people around here would strongly agree with that, a shame actually.
Is mud riding the same as mud bogging? It's popular here in coastal GA and keeps the car washes in buisness,
Old Mar 26th 2008, 5:49 pm
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tracym
Hi and welcome to the forum. Interesting perspective, thanks for that. I'm a yank myself- but adored Louisiana.
Well they cook pretty damn good.
Old Mar 26th 2008, 6:30 pm
Account Closed

Okachickima is an unknown quantity at this point

Actually a real southerner calls them crawdads.
Old Mar 26th 2008, 6:33 pm
Sursum corda

Originally Posted by Okachickima

Actually a real southerner calls them crawdads.
and in New England we just say bring on the lobster.
Old Mar 26th 2008, 6:39 pm
Riding on silver wings

ugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cindyabs
and in New England we just say bring on the lobster.
I could go for some surf 'n' turf right now. When I get my refund I'm going to Lobstergram myself some tails.
Old Mar 26th 2008, 6:42 pm
Sursum corda

Originally Posted by ugacrew
I could go for some surf 'n' turf right now. When I get my refund I'm going to Lobstergram myself some tails.
Hell with the tails-bring on the whole shooting match say I-I love to suck the little legs. Oooh and some steamers........yeah babeh.
Old Mar 26th 2008, 6:43 pm
Riding on silver wings

Originally Posted by cindyabs
Hell with the tails-bring on the whole shooting match say I-I love to suck the little legs. Oooh and some steamers........yeah babeh.
LOL...I found your spot!
Old Mar 26th 2008, 6:46 pm
Sursum corda

Originally Posted by ugacrew
LOL...I found your spot!
You betcha.

I want to go to Camden Maine and eat steamers and lobster rolls.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.