Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

What is the difference between the US North & South mentality?

What is the difference between the US North & South mentality?

Old Mar 26th 2008, 6:48 pm
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What is the difference between the US North & South mentality?

Originally Posted by CarleyGee

-Southerners here only consider Louisiana, Alabama, Mississippi, and some of Georgia "southern".
We definitely don't consider almost all of Florida to be southern, some of Texas, but not really mentioned.
Hi Carley and welcome to BE.

I have to say after having lived in NC for 11 years that the North Carolinians I know also consider themselves "southern", and I sometimes wonder where the north/south line is.
Old Mar 26th 2008, 7:12 pm
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

I think what Carly is describing is what I'd call the "deep South". For most purposes, South is anything south of the Mason-Dixon line or those states who fought on the Confederate side in the war, but Texas, for instance, only half-heartedly joined the battle and never had many slaves. We have connections to the Great Plains, the southwest US, and Mexico, so only far East Texas along the Sabine is really close to "deep South." Coincidentally or not, that is where the worst racism in the state exists.
Old Mar 26th 2008, 11:12 pm
Just Joined

CarleyGee is an unknown quantity at this point

Yeah Sorry, I meant the deep south
People think differently about where they live.
Some people want to be considered the south, others dont want to be considered the south, etc.

Well, if you know where Baton Rouge is in Louisiana, that's where I am.
So far I haven't heard anyone call crawfish --crawdads -- over here.
I've heard it more far south of Louisiana, however.
Mostly depends on where you live.

Thanks for the welcoming!

This kind of topic really intrests me.
Old Mar 27th 2008, 12:17 am
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Well, if you know where Baton Rouge is in Louisiana, that's where I am.
So far I haven't heard anyone call crawfish --crawdads -- over here.
I've heard it more far south of Louisiana, however.
Mostly depends on where you live.
south of Louisiana is the Gulf..... lessen you mean south Texas & Florida.

I grew up in Corpus Christi, on the gulf, and have heard crawdads and crawfish, never ever crayfish. Cajuns say "mudbugs" that I've heard.
Old Mar 27th 2008, 12:46 am
Just Joined

CarleyGee is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by snowbunny
south of Louisiana is the Gulf..... lessen you mean south Texas & Florida.

I grew up in Corpus Christi, on the gulf, and have heard crawdads and crawfish, never ever crayfish. Cajuns say "mudbugs" that I've heard.
Right I meant South Louisiana, not south of Louisiana. My mistake

Also, mudriding is when you have like a four wheeler or something and go drive through pits of mud XD (you can use trucks, but I don't see how that is more fun)
It's pretty fun, too.
I crashed pretty bad once, though. haha.
Old Mar 27th 2008, 2:23 am
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

Right I meant South Louisiana, not south of Louisiana. My mistake

Also, mudriding is when you have like a four wheeler or something and go drive through pits of mud XD (you can use trucks, but I don't see how that is more fun)
It's pretty fun, too.
I crashed pretty bad once, though. haha.
Aha, so it is mud bogging.
Old Mar 27th 2008, 2:44 am
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Okachickima
-Crawfish are called Crawfish, not Crayfish.

Actually a real southerner calls them crawdads.

Crayfish is the British English word for crawfish/crawdads.
Old Mar 27th 2008, 6:20 am
Banned

Location: Orlando,Florida,living in Buckinghamshire for next 6 weeks.
YankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond repute

What is considered a southern state pretty much comes down to a few factors.Location,political state structure,and traditions.Allmost all of florida is a tradtional southern state with the exception of the far south east region such as dade county,Palmbeach county, broward county and a few others directly in that area and the counties along the south west coast in and around the Naples area.Orlando all the way over to Tampa are most certainly as southern as any state I have lived in.

Btw I have lived in the southern states of Alabama,North Carolina, South Carolina and now Florida.Politically speaking florida is very conservative which for those of you who have lived in a southern state probably know is quite cultural in nature.The pandhandle is so southern and conservative that culturally speaking I would say that area compares equally to Alabama in many ways.

The difference in florida compared to a state like North Carolina besides the landscape are the amount of northern people who have immigrated from ny,nj and other states to cities like Orlando,Tampa,Daytona Beach and ect.Some of these new people do give central and south florida a different flavor and makes the place slightly more open minded.IMO North Carolina is extremely southern and I would say there aren't many states more southern or conservative.North Carolina is not a very open minded state and I lived there many years and still have family there.I have wonderful memories growing up there.

Any state south of washington DC and east of Kansas is probably politically conservative and culturally southern.
Old Mar 27th 2008, 11:30 am
Unmitigated Gall

another bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cindyabs
Aha, so it is mud bogging.

I have installed mud tires on an old riding mower that I took the mowing deck off of when it got too rusted to be used. I hitch a trailer to it and we use it to haul firewood out of the woods and all kinds of other chores.

A few weeks ago when my wife was out shopping I turned a section of the yard into a mud pit. It had been raining heavy and the yard was a swamp... The kids and I had a blast! Wife got home and gave me one of these>. She did say it wasn't redneck.... until I got out the video camera...
Old Mar 27th 2008, 1:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

frrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Manc
when you don't have a job to go to, what's the rush?
is that me that does not have a job to go to, or the others?
Reg.