Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

What was the biggest culture shock when you moved to the USA?

What was the biggest culture shock when you moved to the USA?

Old Dec 14th 2016, 6:09 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What was the biggest culture shock when you moved to the USA?

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
Someone in front of me on a roundabout stopped in the circle to let someone in the other day. I wanted to run over their face.
Unless traffic on the exit road was backed up and stationary, that is just asinine!
Old Dec 14th 2016, 6:09 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

Someone in front of me on a roundabout stopped in the circle to let someone in the other day. I wanted to run over their face.
Someone stopped on a main highway to let me cross last week. The problem was , I could then not see the traffic coming down the inside lane. Idiot!! Cars were coming down the inside doing 30-40 mph. There was no way I could cross safely until I waved him to go.
Old Dec 14th 2016, 6:11 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

This made me laugh

Now, how to navigate them is actually rather simple, but certainly not the same for each type. For traffic circles, simply treat them as a four-way yield sign intersection, or any other uncontrolled intersection. Just make sure to go around the center island in a counter-clockwise direction, do not take a shortcut on left hand turns.

How to navigate traffic circles and roundabouts | OregonLive.com

This bit was interesting coming from a country full of roundabouts.

On a related note, do not use your turn signal as you enter the roundabout. You are not turning, you are following the road (more on this later). And what is more, is this is where common sense comes into play. There is only one direction for you to go, so using your signal at this point does not help your fellow drivers.
Old Dec 14th 2016, 6:12 pm
Bloody Yank

RoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
I have noticed a significant cultural change in my neck of the woods in the fouteen years I have lived here, most notably at several badly designed and/or uncontrolled junctions, as well as exits from parking lots and even driveways. A lot more drivers are willing to stop to allow other drivers their turn, especially in heavy traffic, whereas that was not the case a few years ago, and most drivers seem to have learned what flashed headlights and a wave means - "go ahead!"

In one case a T junction has become close-to a threeway STOP during the morning and evening rush hour because so many drivers recognize it as a complete disaster - in other words drivers going across the top of the T are stopping for drivers waiting to turn out of the leg of the T.
As far as I can tell, Americans are often OK about right of way.

I was referring to lane discipline. Drivers here choose a lane and speed, and believe that they are entitled to it without any consideration for anyone else.

To borrow from George Carlin's routine, everyone else who is slower is an idiot while everyone else who is faster is a maniac. Accordingly, there is no need to adjust to anyone else, since all of them are wrong.

I noticed in places such as France that drivers on two-lane Routes Nationales would make noteworthy efforts to help faster drivers to pass them safely. Americans would be inclined to do the opposite.
Old Dec 14th 2016, 6:13 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Unless traffic on the exit road was backed up and stationary, that is just asinine!
It wasn't, the person waiting could have easily slipped in behind me, or they could have slipped in ahead of the person who stopped as they were entering the circle, as roundabouts are supposed to work.

That's a one off though, usually that roundabout works so perfectly it makes me slightly emotional when I use it.

Originally Posted by mrken30
Someone stopped on a main highway to let me cross last week. The problem was , I could then not see the traffic coming down the inside lane. Idiot!! Cars were coming down the inside doing 30-40 mph. There was no way I could cross safely until I waved him to go.
Stopping to wave pedestrians onto a road where you can't see oncoming traffic clearly is a really bad idea. I get it, they think they are being nice and considerate but people can get run over so easily that way.
Old Dec 14th 2016, 6:16 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

I find it a joy to drive when I cross into WA state.

Orderly freeways with drivers who know how to merge and drive on a highway.

Some reason BC drivers have no idea how to merge properly when getting onto a highway.

But we have no proper freeway system so many may not drive highways on a daily or regular basis.
Old Dec 14th 2016, 6:16 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Stopping to wave pedestrians onto a road where you can't see oncoming traffic clearly is a really bad idea. I get it, they think they are being nice and considerate but people can get run over so easily that way.
Don't be nice, just follow the rules
Old Dec 14th 2016, 6:17 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Jsmth321

Some reason BC drivers have no idea how to merge properly when getting onto a highway.

But we have no proper freeway system so many may not drive highways on a daily or regular basis.
I feel the same way when going from OR to WA.
Old Dec 14th 2016, 6:23 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

I don't have any experience driving on main highways/motorways in Canada but when I was last over my mate and I took a trip to Jasper National Park and since it was just about 500km each way, we shared driving duties so we could both catch a nap along the way. I didn't notice that much of a difference between Albertan drivers and those I encounter in Illinois and Wisconsin. I did notice I drove a lot faster than I usually do back here, and I can't really explain that. My mate told me that the local traffic police have a tolerance of about 20 kph, but I caught myself at 145 or above a few times

Originally Posted by mrken30
Don't be nice, just follow the rules
I mean, if I have a clear line of sight and someone's waiting to cross and there's nobody behind me, I'll wave them on, but not on a main road, where the speed limit is over 30 and I can't see at least half a mile along the oncoming lane.

I do let drivers onto the main road from side streets on a daily basis driving home from work though, that's one thing everyone is pretty good about round my way.
Old Dec 14th 2016, 6:25 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

It wasn't, the person waiting could have easily slipped in behind me, or they could have slipped in ahead of the person who stopped as they were entering the circle, as roundabouts are supposed to work.

That's a one off though, usually that roundabout works so perfectly it makes me slightly emotional when I use it. .....
Same here - I cross roundabouts most days, and they are working very well. The only slight issue is that some people aren't yet fully clued in to the fact that a vehicle about to exit the roundabout into the road you are waiting to enter the roundabout from is necessarily blocking traffic entering the roundabout, creating an opportunity to enter the roundabout. Too many drivers miss that opportunity.
Old Dec 14th 2016, 6:36 pm
I have a comma problem

Same here - I cross roundabouts most days, and they are working very well. The only slight issue is that some people aren't yet fully clued in to the fact that a vehicle about to exit the roundabout into the road you are waiting to enter the roundabout from is necessarily blocking traffic entering the roundabout, creating an opportunity to enter the roundabout. Too many drivers miss that opportunity.
Yeah, there are always a few people who are too hesitant, but generally I'll approach and there are two or three other drivers all at different entrances all getting in the circle at the same time I am. It's a thing of beauty when that happens.

When I think back to the mess that the old 4-way stop was, especially at any time between 5 and 6pm though, the roundabout is just so much better even with the handful of people who can't use it properly.
Old Dec 14th 2016, 7:46 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

I don't have any experience driving on main highways/motorways in Canada but when I was last over my mate and I took a trip to Jasper National Park and since it was just about 500km each way, we shared driving duties so we could both catch a nap along the way. I didn't notice that much of a difference between Albertan drivers and those I encounter in Illinois and Wisconsin. I did notice I drove a lot faster than I usually do back here, and I can't really explain that. My mate told me that the local traffic police have a tolerance of about 20 kph, but I caught myself at 145 or above a few times

I mean, if I have a clear line of sight and someone's waiting to cross and there's nobody behind me, I'll wave them on, but not on a main road, where the speed limit is over 30 and I can't see at least half a mile along the oncoming lane.

I do let drivers onto the main road from side streets on a daily basis driving home from work though, that's one thing everyone is pretty good about round my way.
Alberta drivers are the worst when they come to BC, dunno what happens at the provincial border, but man do they become aggressive crazy drivers, but maybe they drive the same in Alberta?

As for roundabouts they are putting more and more in here, but they tend to be a cluster.
Old Dec 14th 2016, 7:50 pm
Banned

dc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond repute

Alberta drivers are the worst when they come to BC, dunno what happens at the provincial border, but man do they become aggressive crazy drivers, but maybe they drive the same in Alberta?

As for roundabouts they are putting more and more in here, but they tend to be a cluster.
You've never driven in Montreal or Paris then
Old Dec 14th 2016, 7:53 pm
I have a comma problem

I didn't notice any really aggressive Albertan drivers, though other than the big trip to Jasper, we didn't spend a whole lot of time in the car other than driving to/from the airport in Grande Prairie.

My mate likes to go fast, but he's British, so I'm not sure if that counts.
Old Dec 14th 2016, 8:55 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by dc koop
You've never driven in Montreal or Paris then
Nope and likely never will. Neither are city's high on the visiting list. When I visit a city, I rarely drive anyhow, use transit, easier and less stressful. I tend to only drive in city's I am familiar with.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.