Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

What was the biggest culture shock when you moved to the USA?

What was the biggest culture shock when you moved to the USA?

Old Dec 13th 2016, 7:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What was the biggest culture shock when you moved to the USA?

Not sure if it's a thing here, but in the UK it's mandated for offices to have fire wardens. That was a fun training day of setting off fire extinguishers.
Old Dec 13th 2016, 7:31 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tom169
Not sure if it's a thing here, but in the UK it's mandated for offices to have fire wardens. That was a fun training day of setting off fire extinguishers.
Yeah, it is, I used to be one, as I was in London. Training and responsibilities in both countries focussed on evacuation and clearing the building.
Old Dec 13th 2016, 7:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

chawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
The impact of the pervasive driving culture can be unexpected. Mrs P still doesn't understand why I park in one place and then visit multiple shops built around one large carpark, rather than driving around the carpark to park outside each shop.
Well, in England, it took you 45 minutes to find the only available space. You're not about to spend another 45 minutes in the hope of finding one slightly closer to your next port of call.

Originally Posted by zzrmark
1) Lack of historical stuff, Americans like to knock down their older buildings (which are still very youthful in European terms) and build the latest fad.
Signs pointing to "Historic Downtown" when there's probably nothing more than 50 years old there.

Originally Posted by mrken30
Constantly having to deal with contractors for home repairs. I do have an older home built in 78 though.
The idea that a 38 year-old home is considered 'old'.

I was shocked by the lack of professional courtesy. Regularly, while in a one-on-one business meeting, people would just walk in and interrupt without a second thought.
Old Dec 13th 2016, 10:19 pm
Banned

dc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond repute

Earthquake training here. Finding and knowing the best place to shelter as soon as it starts
Old Dec 13th 2016, 10:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

steveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chawkins99
I was shocked by the lack of professional courtesy. Regularly, while in a one-on-one business meeting, people would just walk in and interrupt without a second thought.
I was shocked while attending a lecture by a world famous scientist at Penn State to find people wandering in and out, and then at the end of the lecture, when the floor opens to brief questions, there was a stampede to leave. It was unbelievably rude, and the Indian academics who were heads of the relevant departments were also aghast.
Old Dec 13th 2016, 10:46 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dc koop
Earthquake training here. Finding and knowing the best place to shelter as soon as it starts
Drop, Cover and H̶o̶l̶d̶ Hope for the best

Last edited by mrken30; Dec 13th 2016 at 10:52 pm.
Old Dec 13th 2016, 11:36 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

All this training for workplace violence, earthquakes etc must be for professional jobs.

Had no idea companies did such things nor have I ever experienced this sort of training.

But companies rarely care about the front line folk.
Old Dec 13th 2016, 11:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

BubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chawkins99

Signs pointing to "Historic Downtown" when there's probably nothing more than 50 years old there.

The idea that a 38 year-old home is considered 'old'.
When Mr Chog and I were looking at houses we looked at some in a "historic neighbourhood" the estate agent holding the open house was very eager to tell me, quite proudly, that the house was nearly 100 years old.

I didn't have the heart to tell him that nearly all the houses I lived in while I lived in the UK were that old or older
Old Dec 13th 2016, 11:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

markonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond repute

I was a fire trainer at Heathrow. Part of my training was spending a day with the airport fire service, where they stuck us in full gear, filled the training aircraft with thick smoke, took us inside then told us to find our way out. Great fun!
Old Dec 14th 2016, 12:06 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
All this training for workplace violence, earthquakes etc must be for professional jobs.

Had no idea companies did such things nor have I ever experienced this sort of training.

But companies rarely care about the front line folk.
I get the impression that the US got a lot more interested after 9/11. In the buildings I have worked in the twice-annual drills are mandated by the local fire marshall and are supervised by the fire department. If someone has decided they aren't going to bother with the evacuation drill and refuses to leave the building, I was told that the employer gets fined.

Last edited by Pulaski; Dec 14th 2016 at 12:08 am.
Old Dec 14th 2016, 12:07 am
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by markonline1
I was a fire trainer at Heathrow. Part of my training was spending a day with the airport fire service, where they stuck us in full gear, filled the training aircraft with thick smoke, took us inside then told us to find our way out. Great fun!
That does sound fun!

Mine was a little less extreme... Classroom and then fire extinguishers with no fire as the city prohibited purposely lighting the fire outside the office.
Old Dec 14th 2016, 12:14 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Haven't done a fire drill since elementary school. Lol

Maybe hotels and airports were exempt or there was no legal requirement in the city's I worked in.

We had fire tests in which fire systems were inspected and tested but no drills where you left the building.

Interesting how these things are done in workplaces.

Originally Posted by Pulaski
I get the impression that the US got a lot more interested after 9/11. In the buildings I have worked in the twice-annual drills are mandated by the local fire marshall and are supervised by the fire department. If someone has decided they aren't going to bother with the evacuation drill and refuses to leave the building, I was told that the employer gets fined.
Old Dec 14th 2016, 12:59 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

That does sound fun!

Mine was a little less extreme... Classroom and then fire extinguishers with no fire as the city prohibited purposely lighting the fire outside the office.
I got NVQ in fire training, great fun using hydrants and hoses. Of all the useless qualifications.
Old Dec 14th 2016, 1:27 am
Banned

dc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mrken30
Drop, Cover and H̶o̶l̶d̶ Hope for the best
Trouble is the darn things always seem to happen in the dead of night. I keep a pair of shoes handy by the bed in case of broken glass.
Old Dec 14th 2016, 2:24 am
Forum Regular

Teckelspass has a reputation beyond reputeTeckelspass has a reputation beyond reputeTeckelspass has a reputation beyond reputeTeckelspass has a reputation beyond reputeTeckelspass has a reputation beyond reputeTeckelspass has a reputation beyond reputeTeckelspass has a reputation beyond reputeTeckelspass has a reputation beyond reputeTeckelspass has a reputation beyond reputeTeckelspass has a reputation beyond reputeTeckelspass has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tonrob
I think most things are poorer in quality over here: houses, cars, consumer goods, customer service, banks, airlines... I could go on and on.
To be fair, on your last item in the list, I find BA to be the same if not worse than US legacy airlines. Which doesn't mean the U.S. airlines are great....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.