Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

What was the biggest culture shock when you moved to the USA?

What was the biggest culture shock when you moved to the USA?

Old Dec 15th 2016, 4:46 am
BE Forum Addict

johnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What was the biggest culture shock when you moved to the USA?

Originally Posted by zzrmark
Sorry, late to the party, again!
I had a good old chuckle and a major WTF moment when I took my test. After passing my ridiculously easy test and exiting the building with my shiny new licence in my grubby mitts I witnessed one of the DMV examiners stood by the passenger door and shouting at her driver to let her into the car.
I had seen the driver in question earlier on in the waiting room accompanied by her daughter, I reckon the daughter was in her late seventies!!! I came to the conclusion that the driver had forgotten that she was supposed to be driving an examiner round the course and was probably wondering why some strange woman was hollering at her from the passenger side of the car...

I assume she passed, I think Florida likes giving old scrotes a licence as the really old ones refuse to die by other means and just keep going otherwise...
That's a pretty nasty attitude towards elderly people. I suppose it's meant to be funny.
Old Dec 15th 2016, 6:40 am
BE Forum Addict

dj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm assuming the driving test I took was similar to other states, 20 mins at most and a large portion of that sat in the parking lot showing the instructor you knew how to turn the lights on and off, use the indicators, the horn and heated rear window................ The rest of the time was wasted, driving round the block, turn left, turn right, reverse 50 feet in a semblance of a straight line, pass!!
There you are sir/madam you are now eligible to cause utter effin chaos on the freeways.

That was a culture shock!!
Old Dec 15th 2016, 6:44 am
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dj6372
I'm assuming the driving test I took was similar to other states, 20 mins at most and a large portion of that sat in the parking lot showing the instructor you knew how to turn the lights on and off, use the indicators, the horn and heated rear window................ The rest of the time was wasted, driving round the block, turn left, turn right, reverse 50 feet in a semblance of a straight line, pass!!
There you are sir/madam you are now eligible to cause utter effin chaos on the freeways.

Pretty much! Was very easy and quick in NC.

One big shock I had is that here people who have just got their first licence can drive on the interstates. I liken the roads to the wild west!

Provisional license holders in the UK cannot drive on the motorways.
Old Dec 15th 2016, 10:53 am

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute

I didn't do any of that.

I pulled (forward) out of my parking space, drove around the block (3 right turns), pulled back into the parking space (nose first) and that was it.
Old Dec 15th 2016, 10:55 am

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tom169
Pretty much! Was very easy and quick in NC.

One big shock I had is that here people who have just got their first licence can drive on the interstates. I liken the roads to the wild west!

Provisional license holders in the UK cannot drive on the motorways.
Slightly OT, but I found a shopping guide for you.

Old Dec 15th 2016, 11:12 am
BE Forum Addict

zzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by johnwoo
That's a pretty nasty attitude towards elderly people. I suppose it's meant to be funny.
Sorry I didn't mean to offend you but it was meant less in jest. I have nothing against senior citizens but there has to come a time when we realise that our senses have slowed enough for us to give up driving, I'd have said that the lady in question was somewhere in her early to mid nineties and she may well have had a full complement of marbles but, coupled with the fact that she could barely see over the wheel and her daughter had to remind her why she was in waiting room I'd say that this particular driver would present a hazard on the road.
My examiner had been bemoaning the fact that the Florida test has been tightened up on in the last few years, despite the fact that I found it ridiculously simple. Driving should be considered a privilege, not an inalienable right. Bizarrely enough, if you happen to be at the other end of the age group it is treated as a privilege which can be taken from you/ restricted should you fall behind in your classes at school (I also have strong anti views about the age at which people are allowed on the roads here...)
Just yesterday a gentleman of very senior years was killed running a red light, I felt sorry for the 26 year old who has to live with the fact that he T-boned a vehicle, killing it's occupant.

Very posh, you got to go round the block!!! My DMV has a small circuit, about the size of two tennis courts, off the public road. One would have to be a special kind of muppet to mess up on that one, reckon I was on it for less than five minutes!!! Two circuits of driving a rectangle in one direction...
Old Dec 15th 2016, 11:18 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

I'm assuming the driving test I took was similar to other states, 20 mins at most .....
"20 minutes"!
Originally Posted by zzrmark
.... Two circuits of driving a rectangle in one direction...
Sounds about right. I've been to Florida and seen the drivers.

Last edited by Pulaski; Dec 15th 2016 at 11:21 am.
Old Dec 15th 2016, 11:23 am
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nutek

https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-...-Dwpbq3Z-M.jpg
That. Is. Incredible!

I shall forward to the wife.
Old Dec 15th 2016, 11:27 am

That. Is. Incredible!

I shall forward to the wife.
Old Dec 15th 2016, 12:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

kodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond repute

I didn't do any of that.

I pulled (forward) out of my parking space, drove around the block (3 right turns), pulled back into the parking space (nose first) and that was it.
This was exactly my test! Prefaced by demonstrating parallel parking by backing into a boxed rectangle of lines and cones, which was set up on the LEFT side of the car so not actually a maneuver I'd ever do in the wild. It's quite easy, parallel parking, when you can lean out of your side window and see exactly where the 'curb' line is.
Old Dec 15th 2016, 12:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

kodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond repute

Another small culture shock today - someone on our local Facebook group has several American flags that have reached the end of their useful life, and is enquiring how they can get them 'retired'. People are helpfully offering suggestions involving ceremonies done by the Scouts and the local Veterans' associations, and a couple of people have said they'd be honored to 'transport the flags there' if it helped.

I know symbols are important in cultures, but this fetishization of bits of cloth always seems primitive and superstitious to me.
Old Dec 15th 2016, 12:51 pm

Originally Posted by kodokan
This was exactly my test! Prefaced by demonstrating parallel parking by backing into a boxed rectangle of lines and cones, which was set up on the LEFT side of the car so not actually a maneuver I'd ever do in the wild. It's quite easy, parallel parking, when you can lean out of your side window and see exactly where the 'curb' line is.
I didn't do any of that either.
Old Dec 15th 2016, 1:33 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-...-Dwpbq3Z-M.jpg
If someone ever told Hank Hill they were wearing a $140.00 t-shirt or $1,000 boots, he'd kick their ass. And rightly so, I tell you hwat ...
Old Dec 15th 2016, 1:34 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kodokan
Another small culture shock today - someone on our local Facebook group has several American flags that have reached the end of their useful life, and is enquiring how they can get them 'retired'. People are helpfully offering suggestions involving ceremonies done by the Scouts and the local Veterans' associations, and a couple of people have said they'd be honored to 'transport the flags there' if it helped.

I know symbols are important in cultures, but this fetishization of bits of cloth always seems primitive and superstitious to me.
That whole thing was always weird to me, like we'll all die if someone throws an old flag in the bin. Or "don't let it touch the ground", as if the world will come to an end if a bit of cotton touches the earth from whence it came .
Old Dec 15th 2016, 1:59 pm
Sasstronaut

livinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond repute

In NY state, people with learner permits can't go on major bridges (tappan zee, GWB.etc), drive after sun down or enter Manhattan. Highways however are fine.

Think its the same in most states but after getting your full license, you're on probation for 6 months, which means you get your license pulled for minor infractions.

I took my NY state test upstate in the mountains (it was the only place that didn't have a 5+ month waiting list), you can't drive to the test area and you park up in line. Booking the test I was more focused on actually getting a fast appointment rather than thinking about thick fog, ice, snow and significantly colder temperatures if you're testing in a mountain town. On the plus side, vehicles on the road was slim to none.

The conditions:

The examiner:

(seriously)

Guy started yelling at me literally the second he entered the car (I put my paperwork/license on the dashboard which was apparently too far away for him to reach) His biggest grievance was the passenger seat didn't slide back far enough for his fat ass to get comfortable. He then ripped into my driving style from being too slow, too fast, too hesitant, too gun-ho (wtf it was snowing hard ), asked if I had a UK drivers license, how long I'd been driving.etc, my immigration status and just when I was about to get pissy with him for being an ass (and thinking he'd failed me on principle) I got a 'congratulations you've passed, but if you get a driving infraction I'll basically hunt you down'.

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
That whole thing was always weird to me, like we'll all die if someone throws an old flag in the bin. Or "don't let it touch the ground", as if the world will come to an end if a bit of cotton touches the earth from whence it came .
I got the '411' on flag law from my grandparents-in-law when we visited... Keep the flag illuminated at night, the US flag *must* be above all others on a pole, flag must be taken down and brought in when it rains and you must never fly it if its been damaged. I was asked what the protocol on handling a Union Jack...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.