Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

What was the biggest culture shock when you moved to the USA?

What was the biggest culture shock when you moved to the USA?

Old Dec 15th 2016, 8:07 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What was the biggest culture shock when you moved to the USA?

Originally Posted by kodokan
What do they actually do with them, if they can't chuck them out or burn them? I'm curious now as to the actual disposal method.
They are burned but I think they have to be cut up in a certain way first. It's all very, very weird.
Old Dec 15th 2016, 8:12 pm
Banned

dc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
Or you could just throw it in the bin. It's not like the world will come to an end or anything.
But maybe you'll come to an end if you're seen doing it

Being a vet myself I hold a certain respect for flags, the flag of my native country and the flag of my host country. However the assumption that soldiers fight for the flag is a false one. Soldiers fight for each other first and foremost and always have.
Old Dec 15th 2016, 8:18 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dc koop
But maybe you'll come to an end if you're seen doing it
I don't have one and if I did it would probably stay indoors so it's not likely to ever need disposed of.

Also, black bin bags ...

Originally Posted by dc koop
Being a vet myself I hold a certain respect for flags, the flag of my native country and the flag of my host country. However the assumption that soldiers fight for the flag is a false one. Soldiers fight for each other first and foremost and always have.
I'm kind of into vexillology and the history of various flags is interesting but beyond that, I don't place any significance on one over the others. I certainly don't think a piece of cloth deserves respect and definitely not to the point of sycophancy like it is over here.

There are thousands of flags, from national ones, to former national flags to those of states, counties, cities. I prefer to treat them all equally, myself.
Old Dec 15th 2016, 8:23 pm
I approved this message

Hiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm kind of into vexillology and the history of various flags is interesting
Me too!
https://www.reddit.com/r/vexillology/

but beyond that, I don't place any significance on one over the others. I certainly don't think a piece of cloth deserves respect and definitely not to the point of sycophancy like it is over here.
This is your opinion and you have a right to your opinion. Similarly, others have the right to be offended by your opinion.
Old Dec 15th 2016, 8:27 pm
I have a comma problem

Originally Posted by Hiro11
Oh yeah, I visit that regularly.

Originally Posted by Hiro11
This is your opinion and you have a right to your opinion. Similarly, others have the right to be offended by your opinion.
Nobody cares about offending nationalists. They deserve to be offended. And slapped with a dead fish on a regular basis.
Old Dec 15th 2016, 8:45 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

I don't have one and if I did it would probably stay indoors so it's not likely to ever need disposed of.

Also, black bin bags ...

I'm kind of into vexillology and the history of various flags is interesting but beyond that, I don't place any significance on one over the others. I certainly don't think a piece of cloth deserves respect and definitely not to the point of sycophancy like it is over here.

There are thousands of flags, from national ones, to former national flags to those of states, counties, cities. I prefer to treat them all equally, myself.

Flags might stand for something you respect, but treating the bit of cloth as a fetish object is a bit strange.
Old Dec 15th 2016, 8:52 pm
I have a comma problem

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter
Flags might stand for something you respect, but treating the bit of cloth as a fetish object is a bit strange.
Right.

Anyway vexillology is way more interesting and enjoyable than exeptionalism. It won't make the US or the UK crumble into dust if I say the Bavarian flag is pretty cool, or I like Nepal's unique design, after all.
Old Dec 15th 2016, 9:12 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Right.

Anyway vexillology is way more interesting and enjoyable than exeptionalism. It won't make the US or the UK crumble into dust if I say the Bavarian flag is pretty cool, or I like Nepal's unique design, after all.

That's a great word - I had to look it up. It comes from Latin and Greek joined together, apparently.
Old Dec 15th 2016, 9:15 pm
I have a comma problem

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter
That's a great word - I had to look it up. It comes from Latin and Greek joined together, apparently.
Apparently first coined as a term in 1958.
Old Dec 15th 2016, 9:33 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Republic of Newfoundland has a good one - pink, white and green tricolour.
Old Dec 15th 2016, 9:49 pm
Turning into a PA gal!

lizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robin1234
Republic of Newfoundland has a good one - pink, white and green tricolour.
They must have been offered a cheap deal by the flag factory!
Old Dec 15th 2016, 9:55 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

I had an old flag that we acquired from a storage unit sale, it came free with a load of garden tools. I put it up on my kids treehouse. Is there anything bad about it being covered in bird shit?
Old Dec 15th 2016, 10:37 pm
Banned

dc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond repute

Like a dose of the clap I try to avoid arguments for and against the flag. Some argue that thousands died for a flag. I think that's BS. Flags have been used as a tool to recruit cannon fodder in past wars. Americans take their flag seriously and I'm careful to avoid showing any disrespect and if a family of a fallen soldier place a flag on his marker on Memorial day and believe that he died for the flag that's fine with me.

In my own case the flag I fly from my porch is the LA Lakers flag

Last edited by dc koop; Dec 15th 2016 at 10:43 pm.
Old Dec 15th 2016, 10:57 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

What did people do with their USC citizenship flags?
Old Dec 15th 2016, 11:04 pm

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mrken30
What did people do with their USC citizenship flags?
I tossed mine. Dunno what else you would do with it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.