Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

What was the biggest culture shock when you moved to the USA?

What was the biggest culture shock when you moved to the USA?

Old Dec 16th 2016, 11:25 pm
Banned

dc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What was the biggest culture shock when you moved to the USA?

Originally Posted by morpeth
Most of that Idaho group one heard about, probably 90% from California, a few from Oregon and Montana. Those who remained after all the pressure eventually I think moved back East. Most people I knew in North Idaho too busy hunting, or drinking on the lakes or rivers to be too bothered with politics of any sort. On the other hand there seemed to be a massive amount of anti-vaccine activists.
Years ago we were passing through a town somewhere in that State and stopped at a motel for the night. There were a whole bunch of dudes also staying there wearing combat fatigues but not regular US military issue. Most were young but some were a bit ripe in age to be active military. We wondered if they were "militias" (not the regular State militia) but those who run around in the backwoods training for that "race war" they're always predicting.
Old Dec 17th 2016, 5:19 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

morpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dc koop
Years ago we were passing through a town somewhere in that State and stopped at a motel for the night. There were a whole bunch of dudes also staying there wearing combat fatigues but not regular US military issue. Most were young but some were a bit ripe in age to be active military. We wondered if they were "militias" (not the regular State militia) but those who run around in the backwoods training for that "race war" they're always predicting.
Probably just hunting or pretending to so they could go out and drink a lot. Lots of very right-wing groups in the state, but I think the "militia: more likely in Montana. I spent 15 years living o working in north Idaho, most guys I met more interested in drinking , hunting and some just collecting arms. Had a friend who didn't hunt but had 7 guns.

What is amazing there is no control on who can buy at gun shows.
Old Dec 17th 2016, 6:17 am
Banned

dc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by morpeth
Probably just hunting or pretending to so they could go out and drink a lot. Lots of very right-wing groups in the state, but I think the "militia: more likely in Montana. I spent 15 years living o working in north Idaho, most guys I met more interested in drinking , hunting and some just collecting arms. Had a friend who didn't hunt but had 7 guns.

What is amazing there is no control on who can buy at gun shows.
Idaho is a great State. I love the place and you can buy a 4 bed, 3 garage house on a nice bit of acreage for half the price you'd pay for an over priced dog house in So Cal.

If the laws on buying firearms are somewhat lax in Idaho it's really not relevant to say other parts of the US where drugs and gang wars are a plague on the rest of the population and gun control really needs to be enforced.

If we didn't have family roots here in So Cal we'd move up there at the drop of a hat
Old Dec 17th 2016, 6:24 am
Banned

Originally Posted by mrken30
looks like respect in the US doesn't go out to all. Just had this email from local fire department. I guess in the UK they just throw bricks ate firemen.

After a tire slashing incident at one of our fire stations, we are encouraged by an outpouring of kindness and support.

Firefighters at Station 66 off Brockman Road in Beaverton returned from responding to emergencies on December 15 to find their tires slashed. The vehicle of a citizen who had to park in the lot due to the recent storm was also damaged. Beaverton Police Department has been investigating.

Though we're very disappointed that someone would target first responders, we were relieved the culprit wasn't able to get at the tires of an emergency vehicle.
Sad story indeed. One can only try to imagine the miserable sod who would do such stuff. Our local fire department run a toys for kids program every Christmas. People don't come better than that
Old Dec 17th 2016, 11:06 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

morpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond repute

Idaho is a great State. I love the place and you can buy a 4 bed, 3 garage house on a nice bit of acreage for half the price you'd pay for an over priced dog house in So Cal.

If the laws on buying firearms are somewhat lax in Idaho it's really not relevant to say other parts of the US where drugs and gang wars are a plague on the rest of the population and gun control really needs to be enforced.

If we didn't have family roots here in So Cal we'd move up there at the drop of a hat
Don't know about southern Idaho but north Idaho is great. Coeur d'Alene, Wallace, Sandpoint very nice places to live. A lot of people retire there but go to Arizona in winter.
Old Dec 18th 2016, 4:44 pm
I approved this message

Hiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond repute

This is an important point in the gun debate: it's not heavily armed rural outdoorsy/hunters (for urban elites: "rednecks") of popular imagination who are shooting people. In fact, states that are known for high rates of gun ownership, liberal gun laws and pickup trucks with gun racks (New Hampshire, Wyoming, Utah, Iowa, Idaho, North Dakota etc) have the lowest murder and gun murder rates in the country. These states have a total murder rate of between 1 and 1.5 per 100k population, very similar to western Europe. The gun murder rate in these states is about half of that. Similarly, the murder rates in "pro gun" states like Texas and Tennessee are skewed by atrocious murder rates in the cities contrasted with very safe (and very heavily armed) countrysides.

Let's take Wyoming, a state where essentially anyone can concealed carry, a state where it's ridiculously easy to buy guns, a state where 54% of people own a gun (one of the highest rate of gun ownership in the country), a state the NRA has cited as having ideal gun laws. Wyoming is awash in guns but has a murder rate of 1.3 / 100K, about the same as western Europe. Contrast that with Chicago where all guns are outright banned but with a murder rate of 15.6/100K, similar to the most dangerous parts of South America. The overall rate of gun ownership in Illinois is about half the rate in Wyoming but the overall gun murder rate is about 300% higher. Even that's skewed as outside of Chicago, Illinois is very safe and much more heavily armed.

This indicates to me that the role of gun ownership and strictness of gun laws are only one part of a complicated set of issues when discussing violent crime in the US.

Last edited by Hiro11; Dec 18th 2016 at 4:48 pm.
Old Dec 18th 2016, 4:49 pm
L2, GC, Surrey, OH, TX!

MsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kodokan
Another small culture shock today - someone on our local Facebook group has several American flags that have reached the end of their useful life, and is enquiring how they can get them 'retired'. People are helpfully offering suggestions involving ceremonies done by the Scouts and the local Veterans' associations, and a couple of people have said they'd be honored to 'transport the flags there' if it helped.

I know symbols are important in cultures, but this fetishization of bits of cloth always seems primitive and superstitious to me.
ive been to multiple boy scout flag retirement ceremonies (the flags are ceremoniously burnt in a special way and the metal pieces collected afterwards and often given to people)- so often take place at campfires). They have typically been extremely moving and much is made of veterans and the like who sacrificed for the flag. I always thought it was a lovely ceremony.
Old Dec 18th 2016, 5:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hiro11
This is an important point in the gun debate: it's not heavily armed rural outdoorsy/hunters (for urban elites: "rednecks") of popular imagination who are shooting people. In fact, states that are known for high rates of gun ownership, liberal gun laws and pickup trucks with gun racks (New Hampshire, Wyoming, Utah, Iowa, Idaho, North Dakota etc) have the lowest murder and gun murder rates in the country. These states have a total murder rate of between 1 and 1.5 per 100k population, very similar to western Europe. The gun murder rate in these states is about half of that. Similarly, the murder rates in "pro gun" states like Texas and Tennessee are skewed by atrocious murder rates in the cities contrasted with very safe (and very heavily armed) countrysides.

Let's take Wyoming, a state where essentially anyone can concealed carry, a state where it's ridiculously easy to buy guns, a state where 54% of people own a gun (one of the highest rate of gun ownership in the country), a state the NRA has cited as having ideal gun laws. Wyoming is awash in guns but has a murder rate of 1.3 / 100K, about the same as western Europe. Contrast that with Chicago where all guns are outright banned but with a murder rate of 15.6/100K, similar to the most dangerous parts of South America. The overall rate of gun ownership in Illinois is about half the rate in Wyoming but the overall gun murder rate is about 300% higher. Even that's skewed as outside of Chicago, Illinois is very safe and much more heavily armed.

This indicates to me that the role of gun ownership and strictness of gun laws are only one part of a complicated set of issues when discussing violent crime in the US.
I think the crime problem may be more to do with the disparities between the haves and have not. There is some extreme poverty and anti-establishment feeling in the US.
Old Dec 18th 2016, 5:14 pm
I approved this message

Hiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond repute

I think the crime problem may be more to do with the disparities between the haves and have not. There is some extreme poverty and anti-establishment feeling in the US.
I mostly agree. No jobs, no prospects, no education and lack of effective policing generally leads to more violence. However, there are lots of rural areas with terrible economic conditions that regardless have low murder rates.
Old Dec 18th 2016, 6:50 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

I agree with Hiro, there are areas of the US that are rural, poor, and strongly "anti-establishment" and have relatively low crime/murder rates, so poverty on it's own is not a good predictor of criminality.

I suspect that "poverty and drugs" is a better predictor. There are even better predictors still, but it is unclear exactly why those "other factors" are strong predictors when the impact of "poverty, poor education, and lack of economic opportunity" have such, er, diverse outcomes.
Old Dec 18th 2016, 7:09 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

I mostly agree. No jobs, no prospects, no education and lack of effective policing generally leads to more violence. However, there are lots of rural areas with terrible economic conditions that regardless have low murder rates.
That may be true, I think maybe problems arise where people go from being comfortable to being poor. Where there is a large disparity, or where it is possible to blame someone for the situation or if there is a sense of abandonment. Jealousy may also be a factor.

Where communities have always been poor, I think there is sense of community where people pull together.

Last edited by mrken30; Dec 18th 2016 at 7:27 pm.
Old Dec 18th 2016, 7:22 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I don't know the statistics, but were murder rates lower during the depression than today ? Or in poor areas in the 1950;s compared today ?
Old Dec 18th 2016, 8:28 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

..... where it is possible to blame someone for the situation or if there is a sense of abandonment. Jealousy may also be a factor. .....
Replace "abandonment" with "entitlement" and you might be on to something.
Old Dec 18th 2016, 10:21 pm
Banned

I agree it's extremely complicated. I can understand why those in States like Wyoming and Idaho don't want to hear anything about gun control. Understandably they say that the problem isnt in their part of the world so let the places where the problem exists deal with it themselves.... but don't punish us either at the same time

Statistics show that the majority of Americans favour gun control laws to the extent that background checks need to be mandatory even at gun shows and certain kinds of weapons with rapid fire and large capacity magazines outlawed completely. NRA's Wayne LaPierre however isn't willing to budge and neither are his supporters in Congress. The fact that Obama who these people believe is a person sympathetic to Muslims and a liberal with dangerous liberal ideas makes them even less inclined to agree to any ban on any type of firearms.

Donald Trump on the other hand supports right to carry laws and no restriction on any kind of weapons. It will be interesting to see over the next four years where all this will go
Old Dec 18th 2016, 10:24 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Replace "abandonment" with "entitlement" and you might be on to something.
The two words bear close relationship, but when an industry collapses and takes workers jobs, and only the privilege are kept employed. The people who are abandoned and left on the scrap heap are the same people that feel entitled.

The other thing people need is space. Not so much of a problem in the US, but where homes are built on top of one another and there is no personal space, there seems to be a tension that builds up.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.