Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

What was the biggest culture shock when you moved to the USA?

What was the biggest culture shock when you moved to the USA?

Old Dec 14th 2016, 3:28 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What was the biggest culture shock when you moved to the USA?

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Americans generally stick to the "drive on the right" rule when walking too, whether it is an office corridor, a mall, a sidewalk or a hiking trail. I notice when back in Britain that British pedestrians are all over the place!
This is true. A related phenomenon, and I think it started on the tube in London, is the convention of standing on the right of the escalator, thus leaving the left side of the escalator free for those who wish to walk (or are in more of a hurry.) Fortunately it's pretty universal in England, but I notice in North America there's no such convention, and it's much harder to walk on a busy escalator.
Old Dec 14th 2016, 3:30 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

That was another culture shock, excessive cable bills, we pay $10 for our DVR, with watching more on demand stuff we could probably dump it.
Old Dec 14th 2016, 3:31 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robin1234
This is true. A related phenomenon, and I think it started on the tube in London, is the convention of standing on the right of the escalator, thus leaving the left side of the escalator free for those who wish to walk (or are in more of a hurry.) Fortunately it's pretty universal in England, but I notice in North America there's no such convention, and it's much harder to walk on a busy escalator.
Also in the UK, as a general rule slower drivers will stick to the left lane, this also seems to be the case in the US.
Old Dec 14th 2016, 3:31 pm
Sasstronaut

livinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
but I'm sure on BBC or C4 or something, they'd run a delay on an early evening chat show just in case someone's wankered and lets a few swears slip.
Oh for sure, I know that the Beeb/NBC use it for major events extensively. The Olympics for example ran with quite a lengthy delay (think it was between 10 mins to an hour in places) *just in case* something bad happened (not swearing related).

Cable stations (like TBS, AMC etc) are nationwide, so there are no affiliates to worry about.
No idea then, maybe they don't have FCC issues to deal with or regional play out centers.etc .etc
Old Dec 14th 2016, 3:33 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Cable stations (like TBS, AMC etc) are nationwide, so there are no affiliates to worry about. There's nothing to stop a character in one of their shows saying c***, other than they don't want to upset the advertisers.
But they do have product placements in their shows
Old Dec 14th 2016, 3:34 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by livinginnyc
Oh for sure, I know that the Beeb/NBC use it for major events extensively. The Olympics for example ran with quite a lengthy delay (think it was between 10 mins to an hour in places) *just in case* something bad happened (not swearing related).
Yeah in things like that it's more a gnarly injury, or a knob slipping out of a pair of swimming trunks that they'll want to avoid broadcasting.

Sporting events in general are a good way to catch a few pre-watershed swears. Limited on-field audio, but I always laugh watching goalkeepers effing and jeffing at their defenders after a goal.

No idea then, maybe they don't have FCC issues to deal with or regional play out centers.etc .etc
They aren't governed by the FCC, it's all about the sweet, sweet advertising revenue for them.
Old Dec 14th 2016, 3:37 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mrken30
Also in the UK, as a general rule slower drivers will stick to the left lane, .....
Not on the M4 they don't! ..... I find lane discipline to be poor in the UK .... and poorer in the US.

Only the Germans really get lane discipline, but that has a good bit to do with the risk of being rear-ended by a Porsche doing 250km/h.
Old Dec 14th 2016, 3:41 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Not on the M4 they don't! ..... I find lane discipline to be poor in the UK .... and poorer in the US.

Only the Germans really get lane discipline, but that has a good bit to do with the risk of being rear-ended by a Porsche doing 250km/h.
If you flash enough they sometimes pull over on the M1 and M4. Especially if you flash blue lights.

In the US it is State dependant, I have seem a few cases now where people believe people are moving over for them and pull out in front of a fire truck with flashing lights and sirens.

Also I still can't do this driving 2 feet from the person in front of me. it just scares the eebies out of me.
Old Dec 14th 2016, 3:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

yellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond repute

Sporting events in general are a good way to catch a few pre-watershed swears. Limited on-field audio, but I always laugh watching goalkeepers effing and jeffing at their defenders after a goal.
Footie matches are amusing if you can lip-read, also if you know what the crowd is chanting too. Sometimes it takes the audio folk a while to work it out and turn down the off-field sound.
Old Dec 14th 2016, 3:45 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Lane discipline is shocking over here. Either you get slow drivers hogging the left lane so you can't pass, or you'll get arseholes who drive up your arse in the left lane while you are passing because 10 over isn't fast enough for them.

Because they have sensible speed limits, everyone is able to drive fast enough to pass the slower drivers on the right and get back in before someone faster comes along.

Tied to 70 mph here with the ticket happy rozzers who'll do you for 80.00001, I can't afford to drive the speeds I am more comfortable at or I'd be hit with a high bracket ticket or a reckless driving charge. It's compounded by the fact that 99% of my interstate driving is out-of-state as well so they will be higher, cash only fines.

So I have to deal with arseholes who are obviously richer than me who are happy to risk $500.00 fines wanting me to open my trunk for them when I'm trying to pass a line of slow cars at 79. I know people will argue that driving at an arbitrarily assigned speed higher than posted is unsafe (when it objectively isn't - thanks again Germany), I can't abide unsafe driving and leaving little to no space behind me is one of my triggers. I get back into the right lane the second it is safe to do so after I am done passing, yet these wankshafts are still trying to get into my back seat.
Old Dec 14th 2016, 3:50 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Lane discipline is shocking over here. Either you get slow drivers hogging the left lane so you can't pass, or you'll get arseholes who drive up your arse in the left lane while you are passing because 10 over isn't fast enough for them.

Because they have sensible speed limits, everyone is able to drive fast enough to pass the slower drivers on the right and get back in before someone faster comes along.

Tied to 70 mph here with the ticket happy rozzers who'll do you for 80.00001, I can't afford to drive the speeds I am more comfortable at or I'd be hit with a high bracket ticket or a reckless driving charge. It's compounded by the fact that 99% of my interstate driving is out-of-state as well so they will be higher, cash only fines.

So I have to deal with arseholes who are obviously richer than me who are happy to risk $500.00 fines wanting me to open my trunk for them when I'm trying to pass a line of slow cars at 79. I know people will argue that driving at an arbitrarily assigned speed higher than posted is unsafe (when it objectively isn't - thanks again Germany), I can't abide unsafe driving and leaving little to no space behind me is one of my triggers. I get back into the right lane the second it is safe to do so after I am done passing, yet these wankshafts are still trying to get into my back seat.
You need one of these

Old Dec 14th 2016, 3:53 pm
Sasstronaut

livinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond repute

Lane discipline is shocking over here.
Two words, New Jersey.

Seriously, driving on the Garden State and surviving should come with an XBox achievement. Crossing 4 lanes of traffic, in traffic with 0 notice to get to your turn-off is standard operating procedure there.

Don't like traffic? screw it, just hit the shoulder for your private party lane - any time of the day
Old Dec 14th 2016, 3:56 pm
I have a comma problem

Originally Posted by mrken30
Oh, they get the real life version as they go by me once I have found the space to move back over.

I always get such a satisfying justice boner if I see them pulled over a few miles down the road.

Two words, New Jersey.

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com...ad04fb7059.jpg

Seriously, driving on the Garden State and surviving should come with an XBox achievement. Crossing 4 lanes of traffic, in traffic with 0 notice to get to your turn-off is standard operating procedure there.

Don't like traffic? screw it, just hit the shoulder for your private party lane - any time of the day
GTA irl ...
Old Dec 14th 2016, 4:12 pm
Sasstronaut

GTA irl ...
How do you think I practiced for my US drivers license?
Old Dec 14th 2016, 4:16 pm
I have a comma problem

How do you think I practiced for my US drivers license?
Same way the rest of us did - make sure you can identify what a car is and where you sit in it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.