Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

What was the biggest culture shock when you moved to the USA?

What was the biggest culture shock when you moved to the USA?

Old Dec 16th 2016, 12:02 am
BE Forum Addict

johnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What was the biggest culture shock when you moved to the USA?

I never realized flags were so much of an issue.

Last edited by johnwoo; Dec 16th 2016 at 12:19 am.
Old Dec 16th 2016, 12:21 am
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mrken30
What did people do with their USC citizenship flags?
Mine was stamped with "Made in China".
Old Dec 16th 2016, 12:26 am

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AdobePinon
Mine was stamped with "Made in China".
One China?
Old Dec 16th 2016, 1:49 am
Banned

dc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by johnwoo
I never realized flags were so much of an issue.
It is when the lineman raises his flag and the other side gets a throw in
Old Dec 16th 2016, 6:31 am
Forum Regular

AnnieBelle has a reputation beyond reputeAnnieBelle has a reputation beyond reputeAnnieBelle has a reputation beyond reputeAnnieBelle has a reputation beyond reputeAnnieBelle has a reputation beyond reputeAnnieBelle has a reputation beyond reputeAnnieBelle has a reputation beyond reputeAnnieBelle has a reputation beyond reputeAnnieBelle has a reputation beyond reputeAnnieBelle has a reputation beyond reputeAnnieBelle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tonrob
I think most things are poorer in quality over here: houses, cars, consumer goods, customer service, banks, airlines... I could go on and on.
Don't get me started on the banks. All I wanted to do was set up a standing order to my landlord but because he's at a different bank I had to set it up so that a physical check gets automatically sent to him every month. I was dumbfounded that I just couldn't set it up as an electronic payment. Some things in this country are so backwards.

I would say a big culture shock for me was the healthcare system. It would make me so mad but I learnt you just need to except this is the way things are and go with it. Oh also the extreme importance of good credit or even having credit. Without which life can be very difficult. I wish I had just given in When I first moved here and gotten the secured credit card where you basically put money on a card and then buy stuff and make payments to build up your credit. What I learned is sometimes the way things are done here can be really frustrating but if you just accept them it is a lot easier and eventually they become the norm or part of the journey.
Old Dec 16th 2016, 9:15 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

morpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AnnieBelle
Don't get me started on the banks. All I wanted to do was set up a standing order to my landlord but because he's at a different bank I had to set it up so that a physical check gets automatically sent to him every month. I was dumbfounded that I just couldn't set it up as an electronic payment. Some things in this country are so backwards.

I would say a big culture shock for me was the healthcare system. It would make me so mad but I learnt you just need to except this is the way things are and go with it. Oh also the extreme importance of good credit or even having credit. Without which life can be very difficult. I wish I had just given in When I first moved here and gotten the secured credit card where you basically put money on a card and then buy stuff and make payments to build up your credit. What I learned is sometimes the way things are done here can be really frustrating but if you just accept them it is a lot easier and eventually they become the norm or part of the journey.
banking definitely seems backward in usa, had same experience bank had to physically send out a cheque for standing orders. or try to stop someone direct debiting your account- have to pay bank to stop a direct debit sometime seven if company doing debit is making mstake !
Old Dec 16th 2016, 2:03 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robin1234
Republic of Newfoundland has a good one - pink, white and green tricolour.
For when you want to be Irish, but show everyone you're gay as well.

I don't think they gave us one at my ceremony, now you bring it up.

We were forced to listen to that god awful country song (redundant phrasing) but didn't get a miniature flag. That's weird.
Old Dec 16th 2016, 2:09 pm

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
We were forced to listen to that god awful country song (redundant phrasing) but didn't get a miniature flag. That's weird.
Abortions Awful song for some, miniature American flags for others.
Old Dec 16th 2016, 2:13 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nutek
Abortions Awful song for some, miniature American flags for others.
Not to mention the utter unbridled joy that is driving in downtown Chicago in the morning (eye twitching intensifies).
Old Dec 16th 2016, 2:20 pm

Not to mention the utter unbridled joy that is driving in downtown Chicago in the morning (eye twitching intensifies).
I went to Bridgeport. Home of the tiny flags.
Old Dec 16th 2016, 2:24 pm
I have a comma problem

I went to Bridgeport. Home of the tiny flags.
Doesn't Bridgeport have a reputation for being a bit shitty?
Old Dec 16th 2016, 2:26 pm

Doesn't Bridgeport have a reputation for being a bit shitty?
It's not somewhere Mrs. N. ever wanted to take me before that day. Or since.

Though there WAS a parking lot and a DD, so it's not all bad.
Old Dec 16th 2016, 2:32 pm
I have a comma problem

It's not somewhere Mrs. N. ever wanted to take me before that day. Or since.
I guess that clears that one up, then

Though there WAS a parking lot and a DD, so it's not all bad.
It's the little things.
Old Dec 16th 2016, 2:33 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

You got a flag?
Old Dec 16th 2016, 2:40 pm
I have a comma problem

Originally Posted by Pulaski
You got a flag?
What does it matter, it's only a stupid little miniature flag, not anything actually useful, like $100.00 or a 12 pack of beer.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.