Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

US Diplomat's wife kills biker in UK then flees country :(

US Diplomat's wife kills biker in UK then flees country :(

Old Dec 24th 2019, 3:21 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: US Diplomat's wife kills biker in UK then flees country :(

Originally Posted by civilservant
Section 1, Road Traffic Act 1988 (as amended):

'A person who causes the death of another person by driving a mechanically propelled vehicle dangerously on a road or other public place is guilty of an offence.'

Seems to me like an open and shut case. She was on the wrong side of the road. That rises beyond the level of carelessness in my view.
The extract you quote doesn't prove the argument, only that "an offence" has been committed. If there are no other aggravating circumstances (using a mobile, excess speed, a reckless overtake, etc) - is she guilty of any of these or similar? If not then, the simple error of a "foreigner" warrants a charge of careless rather than dangerous, in my opinion. Having said that it is a very serious matter.
Old Dec 24th 2019, 3:25 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Expatrick
The extract you quote doesn't prove the argument, only that "an offence" has been committed. If there are no other aggravating circumstances (using a mobile, excess speed, a reckless overtake, etc) - is she guilty of any of these or similar? If not then, the simple error of a "foreigner" warrants a charge of careless rather than dangerous, in my opinion. Having said that it is a very serious matter.
I did state in my view.

I am not aware of the exact circumstances in terms of the time of day, but absent it being night, I don't see anything in mitigation either. She knew where she was, she knew what side of the road she should be on, there where signs leaving the base saying 'Please drive on the left' for this exact reason.

Where is the line between carelessness and dangerous? Seems pretty subjective to me. I would throw the book at her, not that it'll matter, because she'll never see the inside of a court room. The above stated it was an example of overcharging by the CPS, I don't agree.
Old Dec 24th 2019, 3:29 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by civilservant
I did state in my view.

I am not aware of the exact circumstances in terms of the time of day, but absent it being night, I don't see anything in mitigation either. She knew where she was, she knew what side of the road she should be on, there where signs leaving the base saying 'Please drive on the left' for this exact reason.

Where is the line between carelessness and dangerous? Seems pretty subjective to me. I would throw the book at her, not that it'll matter, because she'll never see the inside of a court room. The above stated it was an example of overcharging by the CPS, I don't agree.
OK - I didn't know about the signs. Now, I concur with you.
Old Dec 24th 2019, 5:58 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Expatrick
She drove, I believe, half a mile on the wrong side of the road towards the brow of a hill. Driving on the wrong side of the road in those circumstance would be dangerous. The foreigner in a strange country comes into the equation as mitigation for sentencing.
Old Dec 26th 2019, 5:09 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

What do snowmen eat for lunch?
Iceburgers or Brrrr-itos!
Old Dec 28th 2019, 4:54 pm
Forum Regular

Yankashire has much to be proud ofYankashire has much to be proud ofYankashire has much to be proud ofYankashire has much to be proud ofYankashire has much to be proud ofYankashire has much to be proud ofYankashire has much to be proud ofYankashire has much to be proud ofYankashire has much to be proud ofYankashire has much to be proud ofYankashire has much to be proud of

I remember seeing the headline for this a couple of months ago, but I hadn't heard how it had turned out. I can't say I'm familiar with the legalities here, but it is a very sad case...

Essentially the only thing I remember about diplomatic immunity is a story I read about a mountain of unpaid parking tickets in Washington. If I remember correctly, the Canadians were supposedly always good about paying their tickets, while some others ignored them with impunity. I can't remember reading about a case involving a death, but I imagine there have been many in various countries over the years...
Old Dec 28th 2019, 5:07 pm
Forum Regular

Yankashire has much to be proud ofYankashire has much to be proud ofYankashire has much to be proud ofYankashire has much to be proud ofYankashire has much to be proud ofYankashire has much to be proud ofYankashire has much to be proud ofYankashire has much to be proud ofYankashire has much to be proud ofYankashire has much to be proud ofYankashire has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Yankashire
I remember seeing the headline for this a couple of months ago, but I hadn't heard how it had turned out. I can't say I'm familiar with the legalities here, but it is a very sad case...

Essentially the only thing I remember about diplomatic immunity is a story I read about a mountain of unpaid parking tickets in Washington. If I remember correctly, the Canadians were supposedly always good about paying their tickets, while some others ignored them with impunity. I can't remember reading about a case involving a death, but I imagine there have been many in various countries over the years...
I should add that the reference to parking tickets was not at all intended to minimise the seriousness of this case... although as to whether the law on diplomatic immunity should be amended, I'd have to know more about it to form an educated opinion...
Old Dec 28th 2019, 5:31 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

The worst scofflaws in this regard are the Americans, who refuse to pay their London congestion charge. Apparently the United States Government owes over ÂŁ12 million in unpaid congestion charges. https://www.standard.co.uk/news/lond...-a4158936.html
Old Dec 28th 2019, 6:16 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by robin1234

The worst scofflaws in this regard are the Americans, who refuse to pay their London congestion charge. Apparently the United States Government owes over ÂŁ12 million in unpaid congestion charges. https://www.standard.co.uk/news/lond...-a4158936.html
I don't know what a congestion charge is, but I will assume it's an objection on principle 😅
Old Dec 28th 2019, 6:19 pm
Forum Regular

I don't know what a congestion charge is, but I will assume it's an objection on principle 😅
Ahh... having read your attached article, I think I get the concept...

I guess we'll see what the ICJ has to say...
Old Dec 28th 2019, 6:59 pm
Forum Regular

jkeller has a reputation beyond reputejkeller has a reputation beyond reputejkeller has a reputation beyond reputejkeller has a reputation beyond reputejkeller has a reputation beyond reputejkeller has a reputation beyond reputejkeller has a reputation beyond reputejkeller has a reputation beyond reputejkeller has a reputation beyond reputejkeller has a reputation beyond reputejkeller has a reputation beyond repute

Georgian diplomat in DC about 20 years ago....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gueorgui_Makharadze
Old Dec 28th 2019, 7:01 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Ahh... having read your attached article, I think I get the concept...

I guess we'll see what the ICJ has to say...
Hmm .. I think the USA is more “might is right” than “international law.” So I wouldn’t expect the US government to start paying its tickets.
Old Dec 28th 2019, 7:21 pm
Account Closed

materialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robin1234

Hmm .. I think the USA is more “might is right” than “international law.” So I wouldn’t expect the US government to start paying its tickets.
Or handing over alleged dangerous drivers either, for that matter.
Old Dec 28th 2019, 7:45 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by materialcontroller
Or handing over alleged dangerous drivers either, for that matter.
Hmm... Well, I guess I was raised to believe that it's a rule-of-law society, regardless of how crass the politics becomes... But of course, rule-of-law will depend on the substance of the law. And no one would dispute that, although the US justice system functions better than those in many countries, it remains far from perfect...
Old Dec 28th 2019, 9:16 pm
Heading for Poppyland

Hmm... Well, I guess I was raised to believe that it's a rule-of-law society, regardless of how crass the politics becomes... But of course, rule-of-law will depend on the substance of the law. And no one would dispute that, although the US justice system functions better than those in many countries, it remains far from perfect...
True, it functions better than those in many countries.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.