Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

US Diplomat's wife kills biker in UK then flees country :(

US Diplomat's wife kills biker in UK then flees country :(

Old May 19th 2020, 12:47 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: US Diplomat's wife kills biker in UK then flees country :(

Originally Posted by andyrebell
So can a person contest extradition between states within the USA?. And what would happen if they won that legal battle?
[1] Yes, they can, and do.
[2] Your second point it moot as, AFAIK, there is no history of anyone ever successfully fighting inter-state extradition, but they are still entitled to their day in court to contest it.
But then they could never return to the wanted state nor leave their home state I presume?
Or probably leave the state they're in, or perhaps even the county/ court district, because if they went to a third state, or different court district, they could be rearrested and sent to a different court, who likely would order them to be extradicted.

Last edited by Pulaski; May 19th 2020 at 12:50 pm.
Old May 19th 2020, 12:52 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

But then they could never return to the wanted state nor leave their home state I presume?
Depends on the offence and if there are statute of limitations in place and seriousness of the offence. If X commits offence of shoplifting in one state and flees to another chances are only a local warrant with specified radius would be issued if even issued at all. X now commits a very serious offence and flees then chances are a country wide warrant is issued for arrest or extradition is sought by the state where he committed the offence.
Why would a person who is wanted in X state where they face potential serious jail time even contemplate returning to that state unless voluntarily giving themselves up to face the consequences.
As for being able to leave their home state I have no idea unless they managed to get to a place that has no extradition treaty.

Old Aug 11th 2020, 9:55 am
Banned

andyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond repute

This could be coming to an end after all with a possible virtual trial and jail term if imposed served in America where she would be safe from all the dangerous english inmates in Larkhall. Jim Fenner will be so disappointed.

They will probably take a plea to death by careless to be fair dangerous as discussed is hard to prove. I think there have been trials in absentia before in English law I think.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-englan...shire-53731945

Last edited by andyrebell; Aug 11th 2020 at 9:58 am.
Old Aug 11th 2020, 10:12 am
Account Closed

DaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond repute

This could be coming to an end after all with a possible virtual trial and jail term if imposed served in America where she would be safe from all the dangerous english inmates in Larkhall. Jim Fenner will be so disappointed.

They will probably take a plea to death by careless to be fair dangerous as discussed is hard to prove. I think there have been trials in absentia before in English law I think.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-englan...shire-53731945
In my opinion, that'll be very unlikely, both the trial and any enforcement of it's sentence.
Old Aug 11th 2020, 10:27 am
Banned

andyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DaveLovesDee
In my opinion, that'll be very unlikely, both the trial and any enforcement of it's sentence.
If it did happen CPS would likely to accept a plea to death by careless and with not having left the scene of the accident it would a suspended sentence x months suspended for 2 years ban from driving in UK and a fine. And a criminal conviction meaning she can probably never return to UK again. I think that would be a decent resolution of the situation.

But going down that road would present problems because if you go down that road where does it end because this might set a precedent? Meaning that in future trials on both sides conducted virtually in some circumstances and jail in your home country and American prisons do deter us from committing crimes in America and I am sure vice versa as well. You may see a surge of brits committing crimes in the U.S and vice versa.

Last edited by andyrebell; Aug 11th 2020 at 11:04 am.
Old Aug 11th 2020, 3:43 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

If it did happen CPS would likely to accept a plea to death by careless and with not having left the scene of the accident it would a suspended sentence x months suspended for 2 years ban from driving in UK and a fine. And a criminal conviction meaning she can probably never return to UK again. I think that would be a decent resolution of the situation.

But going down that road would present problems because if you go down that road where does it end because this might set a precedent? Meaning that in future trials on both sides conducted virtually in some circumstances and jail in your home country and American prisons do deter us from committing crimes in America and I am sure vice versa as well. You may see a surge of brits committing crimes in the U.S and vice versa.
That only seems to be a thoght experiment by the local MP, Andrea Leadsom, and I see no liklihood of the US agreeing to it. In fact I think it is unlikely that anyone in the US will even consider it, as everyone has moved on to other issues over here.