Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

US Diplomat's wife kills biker in UK then flees country :(

US Diplomat's wife kills biker in UK then flees country :(

Old Jan 24th 2020, 7:41 pm
Forum Regular

Mic1 has a reputation beyond reputeMic1 has a reputation beyond reputeMic1 has a reputation beyond reputeMic1 has a reputation beyond reputeMic1 has a reputation beyond reputeMic1 has a reputation beyond reputeMic1 has a reputation beyond reputeMic1 has a reputation beyond reputeMic1 has a reputation beyond reputeMic1 has a reputation beyond reputeMic1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: US Diplomat's wife kills biker in UK then flees country :(

It's sad that it's a little after the event now, nothing will bring the poor lad back. However, i absolutely admire the drive of the parents to try bring the woman to justice and i truly hope they achieve something that gives them some sort of peace over the whole tragic situation. As someone else said further back in the thread, the whole thing stinks, totally disgusted over the stance of the US. I'd love to know the opinion of the average man in the street on this, US native of course.
Old Jan 24th 2020, 7:57 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

Naive to expect Uncle Sam to hand over one of his own.
Old Jan 24th 2020, 8:12 pm
Account Closed

DaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by caretaker
They've already denied extradition so it's a no-brainer they don't want to hand her over, but a Red Notice is a pretty pointed diplomatic insult (to learn the difference between that and a warrant, and the variation in compliance by member nations, please search) and since it's already international news and an election year, I doubt they would or could simply ignore it now, even though they won't extradite. Because she isn't the international jewel thief or terrorist or deposed dictator or cartel boss that you'd expect to be on the list, but a housewife, the story has legs. She's an intelligence officer's wife and I can't see the US government wanting to have that hanging over one of their agents. They could have a closed hearing/inquest in the US with a rep of the UK Ambassador in attendance and review some carefully vetted evidence, conclude with a symbolic apology, declare the case closed and hope it goes away. No matter what the outcome is, it's probably time for everyone to examine what their rules of diplomatic immunity are and decide if they need updating.
I certainly think an Interpol Red Notice would impact her husband, as she'd be wary of travelling with him ir to visit, on future postings.
Old Jan 24th 2020, 10:18 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DaveLovesDee
I certainly think an Interpol Red Notice would impact her husband, as she'd be wary of travelling with him ir to visit, on future postings.
Would be surprised if there are any postings in his future. He will probably see out his career desk bound at Langley.
Old Jan 24th 2020, 10:24 pm
Account Closed

DaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lansbury
Would be surprised if there are any postings in his future. He will probably see out his career desk bound at Langley.
Or transfer to the NSA (maybe that's the real agency he works for).
Old Jan 24th 2020, 10:35 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

Or transfer to the NSA (maybe that's the real agency he works for).
Safe to say there are a few authors hammering out novels based on this, waiting for the last couple of chapters to unfold.
Old Jan 24th 2020, 11:31 pm
Banned

andyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond repute

I'm glad you thought that through first.... I was worried you were going to suggest something ridiculously over-the-top.

Closing an embassy is one of the last steps in breaking diplomatic relations with another country. There are steps that could be taken which are far less drastic, but still not appropriate as sanctions in this case. And I suspect the appropriate diplomatic responses have already been made, or will be.
Yes it is too drastic and even Trump would back down he would never risk losing his "closet ally" over this if it came to would he. Perhaps closing the embassy is too much but we should ask them to leave that base.

I think this whole thing is very similar to the thing with Paul Burrel and all the possessions of princess Diana they found in his loft. He had the goods on the royal family and they knew it and scuppered the trial. I suspect similar here she has the goods on her husband's work and they will never risk that coming out in a courtroom.
Old Jan 24th 2020, 11:42 pm
Banned

andyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
I wouldn't have run in the first place. I do have a keen sense of honor and responsibility. If prison were the outcome, then I would have to do it. But turning yourself in, going to trial, and with a verdict of accidential manslaughter (which is possible), there might not be anything more than community time involved.
I on the other hand would kill myself before going on trial in america as I can only imagine what would happen to me as an white english gentleman in jail. I would not walk round with my hand in teabag's pocket nor change to my name to Tobias Beecher from Oz. Lets leave it at that shall we.

Last edited by andyrebell; Jan 24th 2020 at 11:48 pm.
Old Jan 24th 2020, 11:46 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by markonline1
I think closing the embassy down in London is a tad on the extreme side, but I think we should be a little more selective in who we send over there. Remember the case of the old fella a few years back who sold some machinery to Iran. He hadn’t even broken U.K. law and we still extradited him. Unless it’s a serious case, I’d be telling the US that their request has been denied rather more frequently.
As a motorcyclist myslef, yes, this was clearly a tragic accident, but the whole thing utterly stinks!
And Trump would remove us off the Visa Waiver Program or add the UK to his new banned list and I think trump would close our embassy down as well if we went around saying that all consul staff are above the law. It is true however we don't have the balls to for instance say you are not getting Assange or that big asian drug baron who is being held at belmarsh unless we get this one.
Old Jan 25th 2020, 12:42 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by caretaker
They've already denied extradition so it's a no-brainer they don't want to hand her over, but a Red Notice is a pretty pointed diplomatic insult (to learn the difference between that and a warrant, and the variation in compliance by member nations, please search) and since it's already international news and an election year, I doubt they would or could simply ignore it now, even though they won't extradite. Because she isn't the international jewel thief or terrorist or deposed dictator or cartel boss that you'd expect to be on the list, but a housewife, the story has legs. She's an intelligence officer's wife and I can't see the US government wanting to have that hanging over one of their agents. They could have a closed hearing/inquest in the US with a rep of the UK Ambassador in attendance and review some carefully vetted evidence, conclude with a symbolic apology, declare the case closed and hope it goes away. No matter what the outcome is, it's probably time for everyone to examine what their rules of diplomatic immunity are and decide if they need updating.
I’m well aware of how a Red Notice operates and most people given Red Notices are ‘ordinary’ criminals. If not for the political angle a Red Notice in this case would be unremarkable and no-one is going to start rewriting the Vienna Convention over it either. There are far more egregious examples that did not provoke change.
Old Jan 25th 2020, 7:28 am
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by andyrebell
I on the other hand would kill myself before going on trial in america as I can only imagine what would happen to me as an white english gentleman in jail. I would not walk round with my hand in teabag's pocket nor change to my name to Tobias Beecher from Oz. Lets leave it at that shall we.
I looked up Tobias Beecher, so I’m good with that, but who the heck is “teabag?”
Old Jan 25th 2020, 8:18 am
Banned

Originally Posted by robin1234
I looked up Tobias Beecher, so I’m good with that, but who the heck is “teabag?”
Prison break. A feared gang leader and pedophile who sexually abuses younger inmates though you never see that it it was on fox and makes them walk round grabbing his pocket.
Old Jan 25th 2020, 8:33 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

The terrible burden of the white English gentleman, it's heartrending.

Old Jan 25th 2020, 1:32 pm
I approved this message

Hiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe she can claim to be on the Aspergers spectrum and everyone will forgive her? Or perhaps claim that the UK justice system is a banana republic kangaroo court and have a bunch of celebrities rally around her?

Last edited by Hiro11; Jan 25th 2020 at 1:35 pm.
Old Jan 25th 2020, 5:41 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hiro11
Maybe she can claim to be on the Aspergers spectrum and everyone will forgive her? Or perhaps claim that the UK justice system is a banana republic kangaroo court and have a bunch of celebrities rally around her?
The problem with this attempted snark is that Love didn't hide behind diplomatic immunity but fought his extradition in the courts. I think he's also being prosecuted in the UK? At least, that's what the High Court judge recommended.

"Love’s lawyers had argued that he was not seeking to avoid justice, and was prepared to stand trial in Britain. The judges indicated that was what should now happen."

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-b...-idUSKBN1FP1IA

Last edited by Giantaxe; Jan 25th 2020 at 5:52 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.