Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

US Diplomat's wife kills biker in UK then flees country :(

US Diplomat's wife kills biker in UK then flees country :(

Old May 15th 2020, 3:04 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: US Diplomat's wife kills biker in UK then flees country :(

Originally Posted by dave_j
This is one of those problems that should not have degenerated to the depths that it has.
I don't think that anyone considers that Mrs Sakoolas intended to kill Mr Dunn and the charge would have been Death by Careless Driving. https://www.sentencingcouncil.org.uk...erate-driving/ suggests that if convicted she would have faced "Maximum when tried summarily: Level 5 fine and/or 6 months....Maximum when tried on indictment: 5 years"
In cases like this I suspect that the powers that be on all sides would have quietly suggested that the more lenient senetence would have applied.
Mrs Sakoolas should have immediately admitted the offence, plead guilty, appologised profusely, regretted not thinking straight and paid the fine.
The magistrate would have emphasised the serious of the offence and gone on about how US personnel need to be made aware of driving standards etc etc but attennuated this by saying how sorry Mrs Sakoolas was and how a custodial sentence wasn't approriate etc etc.
Mr. Dunn's parents would have accepted the guilty plea, expressed anger over the lenient sentence but a line would have been drawn and the world would have moved on.
But... Somebody with shit for brains suggested she flee the country and we are where we are.
What a mess!
I agree with all that Dave. One thing though, Mr Dunn's parents have always been quite clear in their interviews that they don't want to see Ms Sarcoolas given a prison sentence. They've expressed sympathy for her and all they want is justice for their son. Justice to them means that Sarcoolas is required to appear in a court of law where responsibility for their son's death can be determined.
Old May 15th 2020, 8:00 am
Account Closed

DaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
I agree with all that Dave. One thing though, Mr Dunn's parents have always been quite clear in their interviews that they don't want to see Ms Sarcoolas given a prison sentence. They've expressed sympathy for her and all they want is justice for their son. Justice to them means that Sarcoolas is required to appear in a court of law where responsibility for their son's death can be determined.
Or at the very least, being interviewed by the Police.....
Old May 15th 2020, 8:55 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DaveLovesDee
Or at the very least, being interviewed by the Police.....
She was. When they tried to charge her she made her immunity claim.
Old May 15th 2020, 10:09 am
Banned

andyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
Why not put her on trial in America? Maybe that would be an option? Get probation and driving ban as opposed to suspended.

I like your last line because fwiw it is yet to be determined she was actually at fault?
Old May 15th 2020, 10:11 am
Account Closed

DaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BritInParis
She was. When they tried to charge her she made her immunity claim.
Thanks. I'd forgot they had.
Old May 15th 2020, 10:24 am
Banned

andyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
If you really believe this, there is no hope for you! .... And all this was quite obviously an accident - a stupid one, arguably reckless, but the chances of Sacoolas being sentenced to anything other than probation was always unlikely even if she had stayed to face the music.

Exactly this!

(@Former Lancastrian: I replied before I read your post.)
They are families I know in people hometowns on this board I have worked in a few places but I know for a fact I have worked in the hometown of at least 1 person on this discussion. Families and friends who would handle this very differently lets just leave it at that on a public forum shall we.

And death by dangerous driving is a maximum of 14 years and was she drunk we don't know. Death by careless 5 or 7 I think. The difference between death by and careless and dangerous I can't explain I am not a legal mind. And any day now they plan to impose a life sentence for death by dangerous driving. Which is fair enough if it is the intention to ban killer drivers from the road for life how do you enforce the ban except with the violation of a lifetime parole.

Last edited by andyrebell; May 15th 2020 at 10:55 am.
Old May 15th 2020, 11:03 am
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by andyrebell
Why not put her on trial in America?
Oh for Christ sake. Perhaps because she didn't commit a crime in America?!?!?!

I can't explain I am not a legal mind.
Or a rational or frankly sane one either.
Old May 15th 2020, 11:07 am
Banned

Originally Posted by civilservant
Oh for Christ sake. Perhaps because she didn't commit a crime in America?!?!?!

Or a rational or frankly sane one either.
But they have it done it before haven't they? Put Americans on trial for crimes committed overseas? I am sure they have?
Old May 15th 2020, 11:13 am
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

And who's going to try her? Is there a Federal driving statue I am unaware of? Will the State she lives in try a case that occurred several thousand miles outside of their jurisdiction? If so and she is found guilty, where would she serve time? Does a State have the authority to deport someone?

Just to save you some time. The answer to all those questions is a resounding NO
Old May 15th 2020, 2:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

Guindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond repute

But they have it done it before haven't they? Put Americans on trial for crimes committed overseas? I am sure they have?
No.
Old May 15th 2020, 2:59 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Guindalf
No.
Ahem!
Old May 15th 2020, 6:01 pm
You aint seen me, right?

SpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond repute

If she went on trial in the US she'd just be given a tap on the wrist, not because the crime was committed in the UK but because that's how they deal with a lot of car accidents. I know of 3 different people that have killed someone due to drunk or distracted driving and they all got off with a fine. It would be a complete waste of resources and time.
Old May 15th 2020, 6:06 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by SpoogleDrummer
If she went on trial in the US she'd just be given a tap on the wrist, not because the crime was committed in the UK but because that's how they deal with a lot of car accidents. I know of 3 different people that have killed someone due to drunk or distracted driving and they all got off with a fine. It would be a complete waste of resources and time.
And the fine was likely less than the lawyer's fee, assuming the lawyer wasn't free.......
Old May 15th 2020, 6:10 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

There are a couple of instances I know of in NC & SC since I moved here, of vehicles killing bicyclists riding lawfully along the right side of the road and the police not even arresting the driver, much less the DA prosecuting them!
Old May 15th 2020, 6:59 pm
Forum Regular

HDWill has a reputation beyond reputeHDWill has a reputation beyond reputeHDWill has a reputation beyond reputeHDWill has a reputation beyond reputeHDWill has a reputation beyond reputeHDWill has a reputation beyond reputeHDWill has a reputation beyond reputeHDWill has a reputation beyond reputeHDWill has a reputation beyond reputeHDWill has a reputation beyond reputeHDWill has a reputation beyond repute

I know of 3 different people that have killed someone due to drunk or distracted driving and they all got off with a fine. It would be a complete waste of resources and time.
???

AFAIK killing someone while driving drunk is almost always a felony. Distractedness is either not against the law or is a lot harder to prove.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.