Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

The summer weather thread..F...its Hot!!

The summer weather thread..F...its Hot!!

Old Jul 16th 2010, 3:22 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Englishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The summer weather thread..F...its Hot!!

Originally Posted by cindyabs
They're all goobers, and THAT is not said with affection!!
I see that!
Old Jul 16th 2010, 4:12 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Personally, I like ATL (once you get inside that is, ) compared to Dulles or JFK, ORD or BOS. I'd like MIA if I spoke more Spanish. CLT so so and EWR easy enough.
When I first started flying over to the UK, I flew Delta from LAX connecting to JFK and then on to MAN. It was all a fun experience in the early days....lol But now....
Old Jul 16th 2010, 4:18 pm

N1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by zargof
45 mins should be OK, because the train between the terminals is pretty fast, but try and familiarise yourself with the layout of the airport, so you will know where to go.
That's a good idea, I'll make sure we do that.

That's a little tight.......... reccommended time for ATL is 55 min on domestic flight. However if you fuss to the airlines about it, they say, "we wouldn't publish the schedule if it wouldn't work." To be fair, I had corporate clients who loved a challenge and would go for it even if they had 36 minutes or less to try and make it. Me, not so much. Still, the train system there is, as Zargof said fine. I like it!!

If you want PM me details so I can see how often statistically, weather aside, your flights are on time.
Cheers Cindy, not much we can do about it now. The good thing is we are only flying for around 1 hour on our connecting flight, so there are plenty of flights out, so I guess if we miss it we can get another fairly easily. Hopefully we will be ok, and its domestic so we don't have to mess around with luggage.

Originally Posted by AmerLisa
When I first started flying over to the UK, I flew Delta from LAX connecting to JFK and then on to MAN. It was all a fun experience in the early days....lol But now....
Urgh. I'll only fly direct on international. Infact this will be the first time I've ever done a connecting flight, so it could be one big adventure
Old Jul 16th 2010, 4:22 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by N1cky
That's a good idea, I'll make sure we do that.

Cheers Cindy, not much we can do about it now. The good thing is we are only flying for around 1 hour on our connecting flight, so there are plenty of flights out, so I guess if we miss it we can get another fairly easily. Hopefully we will be ok, and its domestic so we don't have to mess around with luggage.

Urgh. I'll only fly direct on international. Infact this will be the first time I've ever done a connecting flight, so it could be one big adventure
Believe me, its only an adventure if you're taking a toddler on connecting international flights.....
Old Jul 16th 2010, 4:39 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Believe me, its only an adventure if you're taking a toddler on connecting international flights.....
Or multiple children/toddlers, now thats fun!
Old Jul 16th 2010, 4:46 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
Or multiple children/toddlers, now thats fun!
Haven't tried that one....

I did take a sulky teenager....does that count? lol But that was long before the toddler arrived.
Old Jul 16th 2010, 6:49 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Haven't tried that one....

I did take a sulky teenager....does that count? lol But that was long before the toddler arrived.
They are as bad as toddlers once the sulking starts
Old Jul 16th 2010, 11:43 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by N1cky

The last time we did a connecting flight we just about made it but the luggage didn't.
Old Jul 17th 2010, 2:12 am

N1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
The last time we did a connecting flight we just about made it but the luggage didn't.
Don't care about my luggage, as long as I get there.

Don't quote me on this though in 2 months time when I'm on here whining that my luggage didn't turn up

Last edited by N1cky; Jul 17th 2010 at 2:13 am. Reason: Afterthought
Old Jul 18th 2010, 6:35 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Well, my Arizona 'summer' nightmare has finally occurred!

It was about 110 today, and still 102 at 9pm. We were out the whole day, and returned home around 8pm to find the A/C busted. The interior temperature was about 90. I called the two numbers I had for A/C guys (recommendations from friends; don't want to face 'yellow pages' strangers at this time and under these circumstances) and they were both unable to help till tomorrow. So - we went out for dinner and decided we'd see what it was like when we got home ...

At 10pm it was up to about 92 inside. We checked local hotels, we could get rooms for about $60, so that was an option. We've decided we are going to tough it out in the apartment ... lots of fans ...

Let's see if I'm alive tomorrow! How bad can it be ... ? People once lived here without A/C ...
Old Jul 18th 2010, 12:40 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steerpike

It was about 110 today, and still 102 at 9pm. We were out the whole day, and returned home around 8pm to find the A/C busted. The interior temperature was about 90. I called the two numbers I had for A/C guys (recommendations from friends; don't want to face 'yellow pages' strangers at this time and under these circumstances) and they were both unable to help till tomorrow. So - we went out for dinner and decided we'd see what it was like when we got home ...

At 10pm it was up to about 92 inside. We checked local hotels, we could get rooms for about $60, so that was an option. We've decided we are going to tough it out in the apartment ... lots of fans ...

Let's see if I'm alive tomorrow! How bad can it be ... ? People once lived here without A/C ...
We have a maintence contract with our gas company which covers anything relating to heating and AC. If they can't repair it they will replace it. The service is first class...about a year ago we had problems with the water heater...an engineer was here within the hour.
Old Jul 18th 2010, 3:09 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I'm sure you won't be waking up a happy bunny this morning....
Old Jul 18th 2010, 5:27 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

I'm sure you won't be waking up a happy bunny this morning....
Hot and sweaty bunny!

Wasn't TOOOooo bad.... Place stayed around 92 all night. Cold showers, damp towels around neck, etc. Have a guy coming by today at 2pm. Let's see what he can do! The building is over 20 years old, and I think the A/C unit is 'original' - it really looks old! When I bought the place, I got a warranty, and I've already had the outside compressor unit fixed once. I COULD pursue this as a warranty issue again, but - they take days to respond. A complete new unit (one that is QUIET!) may be in order ...

I haven't looked forward to going out for breakfast this much in a long time!

PS it's 100F already, at 10am ... and the humidity is up to 33% (usually about 10-15%) - we are approaching the 'monsoon' season, with clouds in the sky and the threat of storms ... ahh the fun of summer in Phoenix!!!!

Last edited by Steerpike; Jul 18th 2010 at 5:34 pm.
Old Jul 18th 2010, 5:31 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Hot and sweaty bunny!

Wasn't TOOOooo bad.... Place stayed around 92 all night. Cold showers, damp towels around neck, etc. Have a guy coming by today at 2pm. Let's see what he can do! The building is over 20 years old, and I think the A/C unit is 'original' - it really looks old! When I bought the place, I got a warranty, and I've already had the outside compressor unit fixed once. I COULD pursue this as a warranty issue again, but - they take days to respond. A complete new unit (one that is QUIET!) may be in order ...

I haven't looked forward to going out for breakfast this much in a long time!
Hope you're OK - we paid out $700 to a conning emergency air con man but it was worth it to avoid murders being done. We have a regular air con company but that doesn't help at the weekend. Our outside unit is an old, basic, NOISY one too, would like to replace it.
Old Jul 18th 2010, 5:35 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
Hope you're OK - we paid out $700 to a conning emergency air con man but it was worth it to avoid murders being done. We have a regular air con company but that doesn't help at the weekend. Our outside unit is an old, basic, NOISY one too, would like to replace it.
Guess what my best mate in the US does for a living

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.