Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

The summer weather thread..F...its Hot!!

The summer weather thread..F...its Hot!!

Old Jul 18th 2010, 5:36 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The summer weather thread..F...its Hot!!

Originally Posted by Steerpike
Hot and sweaty bunny!

Wasn't TOOOooo bad.... Place stayed around 92 all night. Cold showers, damp towels around neck, etc. Have a guy coming by today at 2pm. Let's see what he can do! The building is over 20 years old, and I think the A/C unit is 'original' - it really looks old! When I bought the place, I got a warranty, and I've already had the outside compressor unit fixed once. I COULD pursue this as a warranty issue again, but - they take days to respond. A complete new unit (one that is QUIET!) may be in order ...

I haven't looked forward to going out for breakfast this much in a long time!

PS it's 100F already, at 10am ... and the humidity is up to 33% (usually about 10-15%) - we are approaching the 'monsoon' season, with clouds in the sky and the threat of storms ... ahh the fun of summer in Phoenix!!!!
Ooo splash out for a new air con! We don't have central air, and I guess usually we don't need it as much as you do, but believe me on the days we do, I'd gladly sell my first born for one!
Old Jul 18th 2010, 10:02 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AmerLisa
Ooo splash out for a new air con! We don't have central air, and I guess usually we don't need it as much as you do, but believe me on the days we do, I'd gladly sell my first born for one!
Guy is on the roof now; showed me a blown capacitor, and said the motor is all worn and rusted and running hot. I'm an engineer and I'm pretty familiar with the issues. So far, he said, about $450 all told. I'm asking him about a new unit, which should give him an incentive to not gouge me at this step of the process!

It's 97 inside right now as I sit here waiting ... 109F outside ... I think I'd give him my firstborn child at this point so I'm happy ... fans can only cool you so much ...

Like a typical Brit, I have no ice cubes in my freezer (who needs ice? ) so I can't do an ice bag for my neck ...
Old Jul 18th 2010, 10:16 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

willmore has disabled reputation

Great weather here - 16c and fog all day....

and my hurting is just about over but baby its jut starting for you....remember how you hurt me child...
Old Jul 18th 2010, 10:34 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

100F here and I'm lovin' it.
Old Jul 18th 2010, 10:41 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

We are heading towards 100 for todays high I hate it.
Those poor A/C guys must be offered a lot of first borns in exchange for cold air
Old Jul 19th 2010, 12:49 am
BE Forum Addict

Brit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond repute

It's 97 inside right now as I sit here waiting ... 109F outside ... I think I'd give him my firstborn child at this point so I'm happy ... fans can only cool you so much ...
Ah the delights of a night or two without A/C in the summer. Been there, seen it and worn the sweaty T-shirt. Two things you can predict breaking in the summer season, A/C and the car battery. One leaves you very hot n' sweaty, the other leaves you stranded!
Old Jul 19th 2010, 1:07 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh .............

I have cold air blowing on me, the inside temperature is now down to a (relatively wonderful!) 90 and falling. The unit is positively quieter after he lubricated the blower, replaced the condenser motor, etc (my blower is so old it has lube-nipples). He only charged $500 total, after being here from 2pm to about 4:30pm on a Sunday, on my roof in 110 F heat, replacing 2 big capacitors and the condenser motor, cleaning out the air handler, etc. He is my new best friend. I think I will send him flowers ...

He was a great guy ... war veteran, worked for several engineering firms before being laid off and treated badly, now running his own business, building it up on word of mouth. I was expecting him to charge more. He actually offered to come out last night, after finishing dinner with his family ... I wasn't sure what time I was coming home, or what state I'd be in, so I declined. After so many people have bad experiences, it's great to have this kind of experience. He WAS, of course, referred to me by someone ...
Old Jul 19th 2010, 1:52 am
Arrogant ****

dbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond repute

Just got back from my daughter's 5th soccer match of the weekend. Temperature hit 103F during the last game.

She said it didn't feel too hot today because of the "nice cool breeze"... which felt like when you stick your face in a fan oven!
Old Jul 19th 2010, 3:38 pm
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh .............

I have cold air blowing on me, the inside temperature is now down to a (relatively wonderful!) 90 and falling. The unit is positively quieter after he lubricated the blower, replaced the condenser motor, etc (my blower is so old it has lube-nipples). He only charged $500 total, after being here from 2pm to about 4:30pm on a Sunday, on my roof in 110 F heat, replacing 2 big capacitors and the condenser motor, cleaning out the air handler, etc. He is my new best friend. I think I will send him flowers ...

He was a great guy ... war veteran, worked for several engineering firms before being laid off and treated badly, now running his own business, building it up on word of mouth. I was expecting him to charge more. He actually offered to come out last night, after finishing dinner with his family ... I wasn't sure what time I was coming home, or what state I'd be in, so I declined. After so many people have bad experiences, it's great to have this kind of experience. He WAS, of course, referred to me by someone ...
I think a lot of your experience is dictated by your own expectation as well as the value you put on good service. The fact that you value other people's time as much as your own comfort makes you a satisfied customer. There are people that would have bitched and moaned and called it highway robbery. I love it when they say, "I could have done it myself for fifty dollars." Well then why the **** didn't you? Asshole.

I'm glad your AC is fixed and I'm glad you valued this man's hard work.
Old Jul 19th 2010, 3:42 pm
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Leslie66
I think a lot of your experience is dictated by your own expectation as well as the value you put on good service. The fact that you value other people's time as much as your own comfort makes you a satisfied customer. There are people that would have bitched and moaned and called it highway robbery. I love it when they say, "I could have done it myself for fifty dollars." Well then why the **** didn't you? Asshole.

I'm glad your AC is fixed and I'm glad you valued this man's hard work.
or people who try to fix it themselves, screw it up and it ends up costing them twice what it would have...........
Old Jul 25th 2010, 5:00 pm
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

Hunter U. S. Army Airfield
Lat: 32.03 Lon: -81.15 Elev: 43
Last Update on Jul 25, 11:55 am EDT

Partly Cloudy

95 °F
(35 °C) Humidity: 60 %
Wind Speed: W 5 MPH
Barometer: 30.09" (1019.2 mb)
Dewpoint: 79 °F (26 °C)
Heat Index: 113 °F (45 °C)
Visibility: 7.00 mi

Old Jul 25th 2010, 5:08 pm
Maño-Americano

ironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond repute

Only supposed to get to 87 today, a nice break from the constant 90+ we've had for 2 months (95-97 yesterday and several other days this week!). The swimming pool even feels like you're bathing in piss.
Old Jul 25th 2010, 5:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

Brit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond repute

Partly Cloudy
Temperature: 94°F
Feels Like: 112°
Details: Dangerous heat index. Outdoor exposure should be limited.

Old Jul 25th 2010, 5:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by ironporer
The swimming pool even feels like you're bathing in piss.
Maybe because it is?
Old Jul 25th 2010, 5:13 pm
Maño-Americano

ironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Brit3964
Maybe because it is?
With a 6 year old...I am sure it is a component.

Maybe someone needs to invent a geothermal cooling unit for pools? And a chemical that turns the water red when people pee in it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.