Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

The summer weather thread..F...its Hot!!

The summer weather thread..F...its Hot!!

Old Jul 9th 2010, 5:38 pm

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The summer weather thread..F...its Hot!!

My old mum just said to me "Oh its been unbearable in Norwich today" 90C
Old Jul 9th 2010, 5:38 pm
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Chris_UK2WI
Just found out on the advanced forecast that it's going to be 85 degrees for the wedding next week... I'm going to melt and/or end up on you've been framed as one of those lame grooms that faints mid-ceremony! Ugh

Oh well, I guess at least you get 200 quid for those videos
Bless your heart Chris, you will conquer with the stiff upper lip. My Brummie DH and I were married on one of the hottest days of the year in June of 2000 OUTSIDE at HIGH NOON!! All the guests were sitting under a tent, but not us.
Also I will point out, we weren't nekkid either.
Old Jul 9th 2010, 5:39 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cindyabs
It's the damned humidity.
Yeah, I couldn't handle that. Seriously, I feel humidity when its still pretty low, in comparison to how high it is there and I bitch about it like no one's business!

I had told my husband I was interested in moving to Atlanta (possible job change for him) it would have meant a better house for less money as well. He just laughed at me.....
Old Jul 9th 2010, 5:43 pm
Forum Regular

Chris_UK2WI has much to be proud ofChris_UK2WI has much to be proud ofChris_UK2WI has much to be proud ofChris_UK2WI has much to be proud ofChris_UK2WI has much to be proud ofChris_UK2WI has much to be proud ofChris_UK2WI has much to be proud ofChris_UK2WI has much to be proud ofChris_UK2WI has much to be proud ofChris_UK2WI has much to be proud ofChris_UK2WI has much to be proud of

Well ours is at 5pm so hopefully it might cool off a little... and I ordered a spare shirt to change into after I sweat my way through the vows (lovely image, I know) but the reception meal is in what can only be described as a greenhouse so we shall see how I get on...
Old Jul 9th 2010, 6:19 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Chris_UK2WI
Well ours is at 5pm so hopefully it might cool off a little... and I ordered a spare shirt to change into after I sweat my way through the vows (lovely image, I know) but the reception meal is in what can only be described as a greenhouse so we shall see how I get on...
Ooo, might need a second spare shirt then. Not sure how it is up by you but we've had some hot ones recently. Was coaching a footy tourney at Rockford a few weeks back and I lost half a stone in sweat! But then we have had some nice cool breezy days thrown in as well. I much prefer fall and winter out here (always did before, but moreso now!) even with all the snow we get.

What I can never understand on the hot days, though, is that it always seems to be hotter around 3:30 - 6:00, instead of noon, as one might expect since the sun is highest in the sky then. I'm sure this has been answered somewhere, and repeated ad nauseum but it still makes no sense to me .

Anyway, best of luck with your wedding, Chris. Kind of makes me glad my wedding happened to be in November (mid 50s and sunny if I remember correctly, not bad considering it snowed less than 2 weeks later!)
Old Jul 9th 2010, 7:14 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Englishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cindyabs
Just attended a meeting in town and when I came back out and got in the car the temp thingie said 108!!! By t he time I got home just now it was down to 98. I'll have to go check the heat index.

Just checked-

Hunter U. S. Army Airfield
Lat: 32.03 Lon: -81.15 Elev: 43
Last Update on Jul 9, 12:59 pm EDT

Partly Cloudy

97 °F
(36 °C) Humidity: 47 %
Wind Speed: Calm
Barometer: 29.91" (1013.1 mb)
Dewpoint: 73 °F (23 °C)
Heat Index: 108 °F (42 °C)
Visibility: 10.00 mi

Thinking of the carriage horses they use in SAV and CHS.
Poor buggars!! Too hot for anything/anyone in this heat!
Old Jul 9th 2010, 7:44 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
Ooo, might need a second spare shirt then. Not sure how it is up by you but we've had some hot ones recently. Was coaching a footy tourney at Rockford a few weeks back and I lost half a stone in sweat! But then we have had some nice cool breezy days thrown in as well. I much prefer fall and winter out here (always did before, but moreso now!) even with all the snow we get.

What I can never understand on the hot days, though, is that it always seems to be hotter around 3:30 - 6:00, instead of noon, as one might expect since the sun is highest in the sky then. I'm sure this has been answered somewhere, and repeated ad nauseum but it still makes no sense to me .

Anyway, best of luck with your wedding, Chris. Kind of makes me glad my wedding happened to be in November (mid 50s and sunny if I remember correctly, not bad considering it snowed less than 2 weeks later!)
The sky is still light here at 9:30, 10:00 and I find the hottest part of the day to be about 4ish and can last until 7:30ish. So it does no good to find something to do for the hot day and then be back at 5!
Old Jul 9th 2010, 8:10 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AmerLisa
The sky is still light here at 9:30, 10:00 and I find the hottest part of the day to be about 4ish and can last until 7:30ish. So it does no good to find something to do for the hot day and then be back at 5!
You reminded me of another thing - in summer it is pretty much dark by 9pm here. When my wife came to visit me in NI for the first time, she came in June/July, and couldn't believe it was still daylight at 10:30 or later - with sunrise around 4. Needless to say that didn't help her get much sleep when combined with her gaining 6 hours of time in the process!!

I tend to stay in in the summer. I'm not much of an outdoors kind of person anyway, I can't stand our back yard not having 7' fences like at home
Old Jul 9th 2010, 8:44 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
You reminded me of another thing - in summer it is pretty much dark by 9pm here. When my wife came to visit me in NI for the first time, she came in June/July, and couldn't believe it was still daylight at 10:30 or later - with sunrise around 4. Needless to say that didn't help her get much sleep when combined with her gaining 6 hours of time in the process!!

I tend to stay in in the summer. I'm not much of an outdoors kind of person anyway, I can't stand our back yard not having 7' fences like at home
Yes, I found that hard, when I moved to the UK (June 1998, originally). I was coming from Southern California, though. Its dark there, in the summer, by 8:30. So when I first went to the UK and was awakened at 4 am and then of course still not completely dark by 10ish, it was pretty strange. Don't think I ever got really used to it. However, the PNW is pretty similar in that respect, along with most of the weather conditions.
Old Jul 9th 2010, 8:50 pm
I have a comma problem

Originally Posted by AmerLisa
Yes, I found that hard, when I moved to the UK (June 1998, originally). I was coming from Southern California, though. Its dark there, in the summer, by 8:30. So when I first went to the UK and was awakened at 4 am and then of course still not completely dark by 10ish, it was pretty strange. Don't think I ever got really used to it. However, the PNW is pretty similar in that respect, along with most of the weather conditions.
I liked the long summer evenings back home, I have to admit. Especially those days mid-summer when it never really gets completely dark.

And it wasn't 90 bloody degrees either!!!
Old Jul 9th 2010, 9:33 pm
Professional Drama Queen

Songbird has a reputation beyond reputeSongbird has a reputation beyond reputeSongbird has a reputation beyond reputeSongbird has a reputation beyond reputeSongbird has a reputation beyond reputeSongbird has a reputation beyond reputeSongbird has a reputation beyond reputeSongbird has a reputation beyond reputeSongbird has a reputation beyond reputeSongbird has a reputation beyond reputeSongbird has a reputation beyond repute

well we dropped to a pleasant 75 but the cooler front has brought back the thunderstorms and the flash floods I was out shopping and got caught in it, terrified I was! I had forked lightening hitting real close, close enough to see that as it nears the earth it turned almost a pink color! ( or maybe that was just the fear playing tricks with eyes!) Damn uncivilized if you ask me
Old Jul 9th 2010, 9:47 pm

N1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond repute

Finally a nice day here in Los Angeles, its been thick mist to around lunchtime all week, even had some drizzle earlier in the week.

For my day off today though, we have wonderful blue skies and the thermometer is touching 100. I am sat in the garden reading, and looking forward to sitting out in the dark but warm for a lovely meal and drinks tonight.
Old Jul 10th 2010, 1:53 am
Dis-Member

SagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Poppy girl
Did you get your hair colour from your Mum?

Bloody lovely up here.
Old Jul 10th 2010, 2:15 am
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

90C! No wonder them East Anglians get a bit confused sometimes!

Since I happen to have this rant at hand I am reposting it.... Gary Lightbody wrote last
OCTOBER:

"We have come up to the north of this (North America) fine continent from the south where it is hot enough to boil human eyes, in fact let’s stay on this for a wee while. I’ve a bone to pick with the shop managers of the southern states. Why oh why is it 40 degrees C outside and when you try and find respite indoors in a mall or store of most any kind the air con has been set at minus ****ing 10 so the sweat you’ve invariably built up for the last twenty minutes walking around on the surface of the sun is now a suit of ice on your face and body and your lips crack and you need to go buy a coat which you then have to bin the minute you get outside again because, oh yeah, it’s ****ing 40 pissing degrees shitting Celsius. Just to be clear in case you think I’ve turned into some hellish prima donna I have never nor will I buy a coat to warm up in an over air conned store. Why don’t, and here’s the crazy thought for the day, you just set the mall/store air con at, average autumn/fall temp for the region. That way when you spend any more than ten minutes in there it won’t freeze your balls/tits off. And of course I know why they do it. The reason behind anything in a shopping centre is deception and coercion. They do it so you have that moment when you get out of the searing heat and step in the store and exhale ‘aaaahh’ with contentment and then exclaim loudly “outside is bad, I shall live in here from now on!”"
Old Jul 10th 2010, 2:55 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

I hate the over head fans that making that damn clicking noise drives me nuts.
Buy some new ones. I have - for the first time - encountered overhead fans in my condo in AZ. I had the old ones replaced with new ones for only about $100 each (plus installation) and it makes all the difference.

I'm currently on vacation in the Caribbean ... it's "only" about 85 F, but the humidity is sky high and I can't stand it. I'm being eaten alive by mosquitoes, and burned to death by the sun. There are big f**ing roaches everywhere ... get me back to the 100F dry heat/no mosquitoes of Phoenix! The only reason for coming here is to do 'beach' things, and I hate the beach (sun, mosquitoes, salt water, yuk). I came because my g/f could not find anyone else to go with her

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.