Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Sex education in the US

Sex education in the US

Old May 6th 2016, 4:42 pm
Bloody Yank

RoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sex education in the US

Originally Posted by Wintersong
Any kid?

That's pretty blinkered, to be honest.

Sure, in an ideal world all parents would be well educated, have great relationships with their kids, and have fostered an environment of open and honest discourse.

But let's consider the real world.

Half the population has a below average IQ.
900,000 children per year are the victims of abuse or neglect.
61% of children are more likely to seek sexual advice from equally ignorant friends than from parents.
The highest rates of poverty and social inequity are associated with the highest rates of sexual activity and teen pregnancy.
A huge number of parents are uncomfortable talking about sexuality.

What we have are massive numbers of kids who either don't have a healthy relationship with a parent, don't have a parent, have a parent who isn't intelligent enough to know when they're spreading misinformation or to understand the truth, or have a parent who simply refuses to speak about sex.

I have taught multiple classes of 11yr olds this precise subject and, believe you me, the thought that all parents can be wholly responsible for teaching accurate information about sex is laughable. The misconceptions that those kids come in with are mind blowing, and I can tell you right now that the majority will ask questions during these classes that they would never ask their parents (don't forget - most kids simply want to please their parents and don't want their parents to think badly of them. Their Biology teacher is a much safer prospect when it comes to sharing something that is potentially shameful or embarrassing).

Should it be the parents' responsibility? Yes. But let's get real - far too many parents can't or won't, and far too many kids would fall through the cracks. Since society ends up paying the price for kids born to parents who are too young, can't take the responsibility and are not financially capable of raising a child, the responsibility to ensure that all kids receive an adequate sex education rests on all our shoulders.
I would not presume that the classes produce sustainable behavioral changes over the long run. You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink it safely.
Old May 6th 2016, 4:48 pm
Return of bouncing girl!

Wintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RoadWarriorFromLP
I would not presume that the classes produce sustainable behavioral changes over the long run. You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink it safely.
Very true. But at least it works for some: Sex Education Works, Study Shows - CBS News
Old May 6th 2016, 5:23 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

I mentioned this thread to the missus.

She had a giggle and said one kid in school when she was in high school, was having baby number 3 before a year after getting out of high school, when the she twigged about the birds and the bee's and how you got pregnant, when the nurse asked her what she was doing for contraception and ended up suggesting anal

What a legacy.
Old May 6th 2016, 5:26 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
I mentioned this thread to the missus.

She had a giggle and said one kid in school when she was in high school, was having baby number 3 before a year after getting out of high school, when the she twigged about the birds and the bee's and how you got pregnant, when the nurse asked her what she was doing for contraception and ended up suggesting anal

What a legacy.
Can't fault that logic though - up the bum is 100% effective as a birth control method.

Waiting for someone to point out that anal creampies cause pregnancies via dripping now, of course ...
Old May 6th 2016, 5:34 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for that, glad I'd just finished lunch
Old May 6th 2016, 5:35 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
Thanks for that, glad I'd just finished lunch
Unless you were eating Bavarian cream filled donuts, lunch shouldn't have been an issue there.
Old May 6th 2016, 6:09 pm
Chocoholic !

ChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dc koop
Ha ! A boy with great expectations from the girls I see. On the other end of the scale fathers of girls like me spend our time telling our daughters that sexual feelings towards boys are a natural thing but that boys are predators and many girls submit only to find that they've been used and dumped by some immature little weazel. Just about every boy in any high school knows the "easy ones" as do the "don't do it" girls know of them. It's not a pleasant situation for a girl with an "easy reputation" to be in as regards the opinion and respect of her peers. That said an open dialogue on the subject is the responsibility of any parent and the girl should be aware that if one day she gets into a serious relationship with a guy during the college years then she needs to know about birth control and the importance of condoms as a precaution against disease.
He didn't have any expectations, I knew that he was 17, was driving and 'out of my sight' and dating. I told him I was giving him condoms, not because I thought he was having sex, not because I wanted him to have sex but because I'd much rather he had them and not need them than need them and not have them. If I had a teenage girl the same age I would be doing the same as well as getting her on birth control. Any parent who doesn't do this and thinks 'school' or 'the Internet' will do it for them is ignoring the reality of the number of pregnancies and std's among teenagers these days. As for boys being predators and only after one thing, I think you do a lot of young men a disservice.
Old May 6th 2016, 6:15 pm
I have a comma problem

Originally Posted by ChocolateBabz
He didn't have any expectations, I knew that he was 17, was driving and 'out of my sight' and dating. I told him I was giving him condoms, not because I thought he was having sex, not because I wanted him to have sex but because I'd much rather he had them and not need them than need them and not have them. If I had a teenage girl the same age I would be doing the same as well as getting her on birth control. Any parent who doesn't do this and thinks 'school' or 'the Internet' will do it for them is ignoring the reality of the number of pregnancies and std's among teenagers these days. As for boys being predators and only after one thing, I think you do a lot of young men a disservice.
I hope you at least got him really thick ones so he doesn't enjoy it

Tell you what though (sorry if this is TMI) but buying johnnies for your kid pales in comparison to the feeling you get when you discover that your son has been stealing your own so he can have a posh wank
Old May 6th 2016, 6:21 pm
Chocoholic !

ChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
I hope you at least got him really thick ones so he doesn't enjoy it

Tell you what though (sorry if this is TMI) but buying johnnies for your kid pales in comparison to the feeling you get when you discover that your son has been stealing your own so he can have a posh wank
I tell you what standing in front of them in Target trying to decide if your 6'4" son might need magnums messes with your head.
Old May 6th 2016, 6:23 pm

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute

I tell you what standing in front of them in Target trying to decide if your 6'4" son might need magnums messes with your head.
What do ice creams have to do with it?
Old May 6th 2016, 6:25 pm
Chocoholic !

Originally Posted by Nutek
What do ice creams have to do with it?
For afters
Old May 6th 2016, 6:29 pm

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute

For afters
Hard to resist and a bit more original than a bag of chips.
Old May 6th 2016, 6:32 pm
I have a comma problem

Sod that for a game of tiddlywinks.

Luckily, my son's idea of personal hygiene is basically some kind of built-in birth control anyway, which is a plus.
Old May 6th 2016, 6:44 pm
Chocoholic !

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
Sod that for a game of tiddlywinks.

Luckily, my son's idea of personal hygiene is basically some kind of built-in birth control anyway, which is a plus.
One day he'll come downstairs smelling like paco rabanne, that's how you know they're in heat.

On a side note when the dude started getting ripe, we discovered Degree Clinical - life saver!
Old May 6th 2016, 6:56 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

I always thought the Dad with the shotgun was birth control in the US

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.