Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Sex education in the US

Sex education in the US

Old May 5th 2016, 9:46 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sex education in the US

I bought eldest a book on growing up and sex when she was 10 and starting to ask questions. It was brilliant, covered everything very sensibly from starting to grow pubic hair to same-sex relationships and all the contraception, sex and diseases you never really wanted to know about.

I found out she had taken this "English" book into her french school and was translating bits for friends asking questions. I was worried about what the parents might say but actually it was fine and lead to some amusing conversations with them.....
Old May 5th 2016, 11:00 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by yellowroom
You could apply that logic to just about any topic couldn't you? Could all parents name the key parts of the male and female reproductive system, accurately describe the female monthly cycle, factually describe what happens during intercourse, and how fertilisation happens? How various forms of contraception work?

I mean, clearly not if the regular public discussions on women's health, contraception etc are anything to go by. The latest depressing one I saw was the number of people (including women!) who don't know that women have three genital orifces (anus, vagina, urethra) and think that we pee out of our vaginas. The mind boggles.
Absolutely, especially those in power writing and passing laws on abortion. it seems every day there is a new one reported which flies in the face of accepted science.
Old May 6th 2016, 12:41 am
Banned

dc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond repute

Why would anyone expect schools to teach about sex? What are parents for ?
Old May 6th 2016, 12:50 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dc koop
Why would anyone expect schools to teach about sex? What are parents for ?
Why would anyone expect schools to teach about anything? What are parents for? Schools imo should be teaching everything with backup from the parents whilst also backing up the parents. Parents should (but many don't for many reasons) be teaching sex ed but, as with religion, the schools should be there to give a more general overview.
Old May 6th 2016, 2:01 am

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

Americans are taught to avoid their "throbbing biological urges" by the Simpsons.

Old May 6th 2016, 2:02 am
Chocoholic !

ChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond repute

We left the UK just after the dude finished P5 so he didn't get it there and moved here to TX where there is no such thing as sex. I did 'the talk', to be honest we had been having 'the talk' for years in dribs and drabs as he started asking questions. I even went and bought him condoms when he started dating. I had a pretty open relationship with my mum and talked about everything and wanted the same for him.
Old May 6th 2016, 4:36 am
Banned

dc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
Why would anyone expect schools to teach about anything? What are parents for? Schools imo should be teaching everything with backup from the parents whilst also backing up the parents. Parents should (but many don't for many reasons) be teaching sex ed but, as with religion, the schools should be there to give a more general overview.
Teaching sex in schools raises too much controversy. Some parents would approve but there are other parents who would think it wrong. Therefore since it's impossible to please everyone the subject is better off being handled or not handled by the parents. Same goes for religion but religion is not taught in American public schools anyway.

In short sex and religion belong at home while academic subjects belong in school
Old May 6th 2016, 4:54 am
Banned

Originally Posted by ChocolateBabz
We left the UK just after the dude finished P5 so he didn't get it there and moved here to TX where there is no such thing as sex. I did 'the talk', to be honest we had been having 'the talk' for years in dribs and drabs as he started asking questions. I even went and bought him condoms when he started dating. I had a pretty open relationship with my mum and talked about everything and wanted the same for him.
Ha ! A boy with great expectations from the girls I see. On the other end of the scale fathers of girls like me spend our time telling our daughters that sexual feelings towards boys are a natural thing but that boys are predators and many girls submit only to find that they've been used and dumped by some immature little weazel. Just about every boy in any high school knows the "easy ones" as do the "don't do it" girls know of them. It's not a pleasant situation for a girl with an "easy reputation" to be in as regards the opinion and respect of her peers. That said an open dialogue on the subject is the responsibility of any parent and the girl should be aware that if one day she gets into a serious relationship with a guy during the college years then she needs to know about birth control and the importance of condoms as a precaution against disease.

Last edited by dc koop; May 6th 2016 at 5:02 am.
Old May 6th 2016, 5:23 am
Return of bouncing girl!

Wintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond repute

Ha ! A boy with great expectations from the girls I see. On the other end of the scale fathers of girls like me spend our time telling our daughters that sexual feelings towards boys are a natural thing but that boys are predators and many girls submit only to find that they've been used and dumped by some immature little weazel. Just about every boy in any high school knows the "easy ones" as do the "don't do it" girls know of them. It's not a pleasant situation for a girl with an "easy reputation" to be in as regards the opinion and respect of her peers. That said an open dialogue on the subject is the responsibility of any parent and the girl should be aware that if one day she gets into a serious relationship with a guy during the college years then she needs to know about birth control and the importance of condoms as a precaution against disease.
I. Just. Can't.
Old May 6th 2016, 6:47 am
BE Forum Addict

yellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond repute

the 1950s are calling and want their attitude back.
Old May 6th 2016, 10:52 am

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute

lolwut?
Old May 6th 2016, 11:13 am
BE Forum Addict

kodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond repute

Teaching sex in schools raises too much controversy. Some parents would approve but there are other parents who would think it wrong. Therefore since it's impossible to please everyone the subject is better off being handled or not handled by the parents. Same goes for religion but religion is not taught in American public schools anyway.

In short sex and religion belong at home while academic subjects belong in school
Just on the off-chance you're not spoofing us...

- it's not the job of schools to avoid controversy and please everyone. Lots of people think any level of math above 6th grade arithmetic is pointless (with an insidious number of them being the parents of girls). Many people proudly declare how they haven't picked up a book since they left school 20 years ago. A sizeable number of Americans view the slightest hint of intellectualism or signs of being 'bookish' or academic as something to disparage. I propose not asking the masses what they want from a school system, because we'll otherwise be back to the days of just reading, 'riting, and 'rithmatic, and finishing school before your teens.

- religion is taught in public schools. My kids' middle schools in OH and even in the heartland of Mormon AZ have included a unit on comparative world religions. My son recounts how it was total news to a couple of kids in his class that there even WERE any religions other than Christianity and 'Muslim' (equated with 'Terrorist') let alone knowing anything about their beliefs, customs, etc.

- out of all the possible subjects to drop and leave to the whims of parental instruction, let's NOT make it sex ed. After all, nobody else is going to be especially damaged by your kids not knowing the Periodic Table or the finer details of the Monroe Doctrine; does it really matter to anyone other than them if they've read To Kill A Mockingbird? But if their ignorance leads to unplanned pregnancy and the spreading of disease - we're all on the hook for THAT problem.
Old May 6th 2016, 1:28 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

I'm happy to let the schools do it.

I can make knob gags with my son all day long and laugh about dirty jokes and that but there is no way on Earth you're going to get me to sit in front of my lovely little daughter and tell her some bloke's going to want to come at her with his knob out one day, and she might want to allow it. I am not prepared to do that
Old May 6th 2016, 1:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

yellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
I can make knob gags with my son all day long and laugh about dirty jokes and that but there is no way on Earth you're going to get me to sit in front of my lovely little daughter and tell her some bloke's going to want to come at her with his knob out one day, and she might want to allow it. I am not prepared to do that
How about the idea SHE might be the one chasing after the bloke's knob, not the other way round? You know, because some girls quite like sex, and it's an equal world these days.
Old May 6th 2016, 1:36 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by yellowroom
How about the idea SHE might be the one chasing after the bloke's knob, not the other way round? You know, because some girls quite like sex, and it's an equal world these days.
Not if I tell her that all blokes have super-AIDS, she won't

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.